Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP722, PIP, external audio help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   drhiii

drhiii

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:03 AM

Hello,

I have a VIP722.  I am trying to figure out how to enable PIP plus have its audio sent to a separate audio device (wireless headphones), so one person can watch a program on the major portion of a TV screen and the PIP screen's audio is ported out to the wireless headphones.

PIP works fine.  No problem there.

What I have done is attach RCA jacks to one of the 'sides' (1 or 2, and this isn't the right term but hopefully you get the idea)... when the primary screen is playing, let's say side 1, and the audio RCAs are attached, the wireless headset works fine.  When I switch to side 2 in PIP, the audio signal reverts to '2', even though the RCAs are plugged into side 1 in the back of the VIP722.  

I will test all this again... but it seems to me the audio ought to remain with the RCA side they are plugged in to.

Another way of asking this is.... anyone know how to run PIP, so the audio for the main view comes out the TV, and the PIP screen has its audio ported to an external device as in a wireless headset?  Seems to me it should work, but I have not found any documentation towards this hence am looking for help here.

Help?

tx

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

I've never heard anyone discuss this.... so I'm not sure the Dish receivers support such a thing.  I know I had a couple of different HDTVs that did what you are talking about with PiP audio... but I don't know that Dish receivers do.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   drhiii

drhiii

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

I've never heard anyone discuss this.... so I'm not sure the Dish receivers support such a thing.  I know I had a couple of different HDTVs that did what you are talking about with PiP audio... but I don't know that Dish receivers do.

Ah, tx.  Least I have an answer from experienced users.  Seems like a natural function to me.  That's why I should be on the design team for everything ever made... heh.  

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

The catch-22 is...

I think you can sort-of do this IF you don't care about PiP.

Running in solo mode, you get PiP but the outputs on the back mirror the same channel you have on the "primary" tuner.

But... if you put the receiver in duo mode (mode button on the receiver) then I believe your TV2 output audio will behave like you want... however, in duo mode you don't get PiP features.

So you're right... that technically the capability is there... but it is split across modes.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#5 OFFLINE   drhiii

drhiii

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

Oh well.  Was just trying to extend the capabilities of the system is all.  I dig being able to scope out the hockey playoffs while my missus watches her programs.  No prob.  I will just suffer through it...

#6 OFFLINE   cloudnine

cloudnine

• Registered
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

I believe the "little picture" in PIP is intentionally muted so that you don't get 2 audio streams at the same time. I don't think you are going to be able to get any audio from it.

#7 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hello,

I have a VIP722.  I am trying to figure out how to enable PIP plus have its audio sent to a separate audio device (wireless headphones), so one person can watch a program on the major portion of a TV screen and the PIP screen's audio is ported out to the wireless headphones.

PIP works fine.  No problem there.

What I have done is attach RCA jacks to one of the 'sides' (1 or 2, and this isn't the right term but hopefully you get the idea)... when the primary screen is playing, let's say side 1, and the audio RCAs are attached, the wireless headset works fine.  When I switch to side 2 in PIP, the audio signal reverts to '2', even though the RCAs are plugged into side 1 in the back of the VIP722.  

I will test all this again... but it seems to me the audio ought to remain with the RCA side they are plugged in to.

Another way of asking this is.... anyone know how to run PIP, so the audio for the main view comes out the TV, and the PIP screen has its audio ported to an external device as in a wireless headset?  Seems to me it should work, but I have not found any documentation towards this hence am looking for help here.

Help?

tx

Does your television have PIP built in?  It won't work through the receiver the way you are wanting, but, if you had the receiver in dual mode, and used the tv1 out on the receiver for the big picture, and tv2 out on the receiver for the smaller, you could then have the rca audio jacks for tv2 connected to your second audio source and get the audio.

The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#8 OFFLINE   drhiii

drhiii

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

Does your television have PIP built in?  It won't work through the receiver the way you are wanting, but, if you had the receiver in dual mode, and used the tv1 out on the receiver for the big picture, and tv2 out on the receiver for the smaller, you could then have the rca audio jacks for tv2 connected to your second audio source and get the audio.

Yessir, I had thought of doing this configuration too.  Can't, as the second feed already goes to a second TV.  Tx for the continued ideas tho.  Always cool to hear how people problem solve.  

#9 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

Yessir, I had thought of doing this configuration too.  Can't, as the second feed already goes to a second TV.  Tx for the continued ideas tho.  Always cool to hear how people problem solve.  

You're using the tv2 RCA connections for another tv already?  Or is the second tv connected via coax?

The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#10 OFFLINE   drhiii

drhiii

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

You're using the tv2 RCA connections for another tv already?  Or is the second tv connected via coax?

Second TV is connected via COAX in another room.  I don't think there is any way to do this unfortunately.  Seems like a natural thing, to be able to listen via speakers on one and headphones on the PIP.  Oh well...

#11 OFFLINE   kevin d

kevin d

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

But while you're running PIP, you can't have an independent output going via coax to the second TV, so you are all ready in the same boat. Run the RCA level composite video TV2 to the TV, audio to the head phone sender. Leave the receiver in duo-mode. Use PIP on the TV for the video and the TV2 audio will always be out of the headphones. The coaxial TV2 output still is independent to the second TV, but will be shown in the main room while using PIP (same thing that's happening now).

Kevin D.

#12 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

As discussed, the reciever doesnt have this capability.  Depending on your tv, it might be possible to do what your asking.  If your TV does PIP or Picture and Picture, run the receiver in duo mode and connect the RCA TV2 outputs as described above, Video to the TVs PIP in, audio to your headphone thing.  My TV only does P and P an only using the OTA tuner so in my case, I would hafta use a 2-way splitter to split the coaxial output of TV2 between the actual TV2 room and my local TV.  However, this is not what I did.  My main TV is in my entertainment center and I simply added another lil TV to it (actually 2 lil tvs) an piped the TV2 feeds over to them, that way I can be watching whatever I want on the smaller TV's and listening on headphones if I wish, while the wife watches her thing on the main TV.  Of course you might want to invest in additional remotes since if your in dual mode, the TV1 remote wont control TV2, you'd need a 2nd RF remote.  Well actually, since your in the same room as the receiver, it doesnt need to be RF.  In fact I even programmed by 20.0 remote to control 3 different receivers.  It controls my 222k under SAT, my 922k under DVD, and my 510 under AUX.   So all together, with Dishnets PIP feature, an my TV's P&P feature, I can watch 3 games on my main TV, and 2 addtional games on my smaller TVs all in the same entertainment center.  NFL Sundays are fun around here..

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

spam firewall