Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Well, its official - Im a cord cutter

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jasqid

Jasqid

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

Hello Gents! Just wanted to fyi u all that as of today I became a cord cutter. I closed my perfect DirecTV account. Thank you to all of you who have helped me through the years and also partaking CE with ya. I'll still lurk a bit here to keep up with things. Perhaps this could change in a few months but well see.

=================================
HR44-500 (HDMI) -> Samsung 56" DLP (HL56A650)
C41 (HDMI) -> LG 42" & GenieGo2

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,625 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

so what are you using to please your viewing habits?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

Don't forget our "Cord Cutting" forums on the site. :) 

Lot's of IPTV forums to choose from.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

Hello Gents! Just wanted to fyi u all that as of today I became a cord cutter. I closed my perfect DirecTV account. Thank you to all of you who have helped me through the years and also partaking CE with ya. I'll still lurk a bit here to keep up with things. Perhaps this could change in a few months but well see.

Did you suspend your account or close it completely. Sometimes it may be worth it to suspend it (you can do so for up to 6 months) as that way if you realize you can't survive as a cord cutter you can easily go back to DirecTV.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 166 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

Did you suspend your account or close it completely. Sometimes it may be worth it to suspend it (you can do so for up to 6 months) as that way if you realize you can't survive as a cord cutter you can easily go back to DirecTV.

- Merg

If you're out of contract and not on a classic package, you're better off cancelling and just resubbing later if needed. You can take advantage of new equipment and fresh discounts.

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#6 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

If you're out of contract and not on a classic package, you're better off cancelling and just resubbing later if needed. You can take advantage of new equipment and fresh discounts.

You only get ONE DVR for free if you resubscribe.  All of the money he has paid for up front for his receivers is gone if he cancels.

It's also unlikely that he will get even one DVR or any discounts if he doesn't remain a non-customer for some time.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#7 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 166 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

You only get ONE DVR for free if you resubscribe.  All of the money he has paid for up front for his receivers is gone if he cancels.

It's also unlikely that he will get even one DVR or any discounts if he doesn't remain a non-customer for some time.

I guess I don't know what he has for equipment, but looking at his sig it looks like 1 older DVR and an older receiver. He'd come out just fine. A lot of people (not necessarily on this website, but in general) would also find a Genie DVR more than adequate for their recording needs.

This last summer I cancelled and resubscribed, getting rid of a pair of HR24s and some H24 receivers for a Genie and 3 H25s. I didn't pay a dime and am currently enjoying new customer discounts. I don't know that this would work for everyone, but I'm not special and I was able to accomplish just that. There was definitely less than a 6 month gap between cancelling and resubscribing though.

I don't know, was just a thought.

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#8 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

I guess I don't know what he has for equipment, but looking at his sig it looks like 1 older DVR and an older receiver. He'd come out just fine. A lot of people (not necessarily on this website, but in general) would also find a Genie DVR more than adequate for their recording needs.

This last summer I cancelled and resubscribed, getting rid of a pair of HR24s and some H24 receivers for a Genie and 3 H25s. I didn't pay a dime and am currently enjoying new customer discounts. I don't know that this would work for everyone, but I'm not special and I was able to accomplish just that. There was definitely less than a 6 month gap between cancelling and resubscribing though.

I don't know, was just a thought.

You are very lucky to have obtained all that without being a non-subscriber for very long.  You must have maintained your account in good standing and not received any deals or offers for some time prior to canceling.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#9 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

What cord did you cut?  With DirecTV, there really is only the cable ("cord") from the dish to your receiver.  So you have wireless internet?  If not, no cord has really been cut...  Just saying.

#10 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,873 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

What cord did you cut?  With DirecTV, there really is only the cable ("cord") from the dish to your receiver.  So you have wireless internet?  If not, no cord has really been cut...  Just saying.

Ummm...Ok. :cool:

:P

Cutting the cord has come to mean dropping the conventional TV service provider in favor of other sources such as broadcasters websites or Netflix...I’m just sayin’ :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#11 OFFLINE   directv newb

directv newb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

The thought of life without my directv and my Genie HORRIFIES me!!

#12 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Not so! I started getting "Come Back" messages with a free DVR less than a month after I switched to FiOS. I did suspend for a couple weeks, but FiOS was so much better that I quickly cancelled.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#13 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 166 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

You are very lucky to have obtained all that without being a non-subscriber for very long.  You must have maintained your account in good standing and not received any deals or offers for some time prior to canceling.

I was and am an autopay premier subscriber w/ NFL Sunday Ticket, so that probably helps.

#14 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

Let us know how it works out and good luck.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#15 OFFLINE   littaguy714

littaguy714

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

I was with DTV for 12 years. Had one of their bigger monthly packages, plus the NFL ticket.  

I had one HD DVR and one DVR.

DTV wanted me to pay 99 bucks to get a second HD DVR and 299 to get a Genie.

I cancelled my subscription. When I called to cancel, the retention department  offered me the moon to stay. Suddenly, I had a 200 equipment credit on my account and they were willing to waive the extra 99 bucks for the Genie. 

Now, two weeks later, I am getting inundated with offers from DTV to come back. Free Genie, free install, free NFL ticket, free movie channels for 3 months and $200 worth of gift cards to help cover any cancellation fees on my new service.  

All I wanted was a second HD DVR, yet they had to have their 99 bucks. Cancel service and they are willing to spend 4 times that to bring me back.

#16 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

I was with DTV for 12 years. Had one of their bigger monthly packages, plus the NFL ticket.  

I had one HD DVR and one DVR.

DTV wanted me to pay 99 bucks to get a second HD DVR and 299 to get a Genie.

I cancelled my subscription. When I called to cancel, the retention department  offered me the moon to stay. Suddenly, I had a 200 equipment credit on my account and they were willing to waive the extra 99 bucks for the Genie. 

Now, two weeks later, I am getting inundated with offers from DTV to come back. Free Genie, free install, free NFL ticket, free movie channels for 3 months and $200 worth of gift cards to help cover any cancellation fees on my new service.  

All I wanted was a second HD DVR, yet they had to have their 99 bucks. Cancel service and they are willing to spend 4 times that to bring me back.

this is an idiotic policy 

My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#17 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

Not really.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#18 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 377 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

The thought of life without my directv and my Genie HORRIFIES me!!

me too.. i often have nightmares of the wife forcing us to move and when we get there we are not allowed to install a dish! :bang

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#19 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

me too.. i often have nightmares of the wife forcing us to move and when we get there we are not allowed to install a dish! :bang

I can feel the passion! :)

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,625 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

Yet it happens everyday…

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...