Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Well, its official - Im a cord cutter

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

me too.. i often have nightmares of the wife forcing us to move and when we get there we are not allowed to install a dish! :bang

because of line of sight? cause if you move to an apt/hoa area they are not allowed to tell you ya can't have the great rockin' D* service just cause they said so (directv.com/fcc) :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

Well, it's not quite that simple, but you make a good point for many folks. If you don't have a balcony, or LOS, you may be SOL in some condominiums.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

because of line of sight? cause if you move to an apt/hoa area they are not allowed to tell you ya can't have the great rockin' D* service just cause they said so (directv.com/fcc) :)

i was just generally speaking... with our current health issues the wife and i have decided that renting is the best option for us. Now we do refuse to rent a apartment building or a condo. we like to find people renting a whole house if possible .. so far we been lucky as we are now in a place that well suits are needs for awhile.

I am not sure how OTARD would cover someone renting a single family home, it may or may not but i am not really interested in going Lord Vadar on someone. Here all it takes is a owner to file a registered letter giving 30 days to leave for a lawful eviction. They don't even have to state a reason just give you one month to leave. While i do love my Directv a satellite dish is not worth being thrown out in the street over IMO

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#24 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

i was just generally speaking... with our current health issues the wife and i have decided that renting is the best option for us. Now we do refuse to rent a apartment building or a condo. we like to find people renting a whole house if possible .. so far we been lucky as we are now in a place that well suits are needs for awhile.

I am not sure how OTARD would cover someone renting a single family home, it may or may not but i am not really interested in going Lord Vadar on someone. Here all it takes is a owner to file a registered letter giving 30 days to leave for a lawful eviction. They don't even have to state a reason just give you one month to leave. While i do love my Directv a satellite dish is not worth being thrown out in the street over IMO

i concur!

#25 OFFLINE   Jasqid

Jasqid

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

Thanks guys for the tip. I didn't realize the IP TV forum. Gonna go check that out. I thought about doing the suspend option, and retentions offered it too but I still terminated. I had the ultimate package with HD plus (Palladia, Sony's MGM, etc.) Protection plan, and unconventional whole home dvr. I was testing in back in the early days over my home network and had to call them to keep it over my network. I had the slim line install in 2008 and was never upgraded. An hr22 & h21.

Anyways, as I told retentions, it was an issue with service. Just $$$$ and value. We had to make some cuts to save money. We are not watching as much TV anymore, and for what we do watch, over half the shows are on alphabet network TV. So I hooked up a better ota antenna, an hdhomerun dual and setup my PC to run wmc. I got an Xbox in the living room that I setup the extender and can use it to watch my local networks. I signed up for hulu plus and already had Netflix streaming. So I went from 150 month in TV options to 16.

Now if this changes in the fall we will see. I already miss FNC and H2.

=================================
HR44-500 (HDMI) -> Samsung 56" DLP (HL56A650)
C41 (HDMI) -> LG 42" & GenieGo2

#26 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

Sounds like its working good so far. I think more will follow if the cost keeps going up.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#27 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,920 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

me too.. i often have nightmares of the wife forcing us to move and when we get there we are not allowed to install a dish! :bang

When we moved, distance to the telco CO was a component for me. If we moved again it would be a fiber connection and LOS.

#28 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,729 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

having LOS and permission to install a dish are my "requirements" before I talk "business" with the landlord

Edited by peds48, 14 May 2013 - 05:21 PM.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#29 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

The thought of life without my directv and my Genie HORRIFIES me!!

There's a whole wide world out there that doesn't revolve around premium (or really, any) TV service......

So, as some may recall, currently I have both DirecTV and Comcast. I have come to hate the Comcast guide. But, in the bigger picture, I am now even closer to "cutting the cord" myself. Especially considering that in the last 6 days I have watched about 3 hours of TV, and most of that being the Survivor finale off the antenna. Last night I worked on my Jeep, put in a new garage door opener, and spent some quality time with my wife. TV didn't even enter the picture.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#30 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,404 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

Why do you have both Directv and Comcast? Is there really unique programming available on each that is worth enough to you that that up until now you've paid for both?

I have a hard time understanding why someone would have both, unless they're just well off enough that the extra expense doesn't matter...but in that case, why cut the cord when the main reason most people do it is to save money?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#31 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

slice1900, on 15 May 2013 - 3:44 PM, said:

Why do you have both Directv and Comcast? Is there really unique programming available on each that is worth enough to you that that up until now you've paid for both?

I have a hard time understanding why someone would have both, unless they're just well off enough that the extra expense doesn't matter...but in that case, why cut the cord when the main reason most people do it is to save money?

I had a limited Comcast with DIRECTV®, but, while I am fortunate financially, it wasn't about extra programming. Just that it came with my internet. And, some rich people scream bloody murder if they find out they are paying "extra". -Edited to neutralize font change.

Edited by Laxguy, 16 May 2013 - 11:09 AM.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#32 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

I only carry Comcast TV (local channels only) because it makes the bill about $15 cheaper than if i just carry the internet alone.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

Protected By... spam firewall...And...