Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR44 black crush and color issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dstay22

dstay22

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

I recently hooked up my HR44 to my Samsung UN40EH6000 and am noticing black crush that can't be improved by simply turning up the brightness and also color that isn't nearly as vibrant as before even after turning up the color setting.  Before the HR44, I had an old HR20 and overall picture quality seemed much better.  Maybe I just have a defective box, but I wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing these issues with the HR44.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

I've seen crushed blacks with DIRECTV stuff for years. I can't say it's any better or any worse with the HR44 compared to any of the other gear I have active at the moment. 

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

I recently hooked up my HR44 to my Samsung UN40EH6000 and am noticing black crush that can't be improved by simply turning up the brightness and also color that isn't nearly as vibrant as before even after turning up the color setting.  Before the HR44, I had an old HR20 and overall picture quality seemed much better.  Maybe I just have a defective box, but I wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing these issues with the HR44.

Which HR44-??? out of curiosity.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,316 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

Which HR44-??? out of curiosity.

AFAIK, there is only one, the -500

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

AFAIK, there is only one, the -500

Theres a 700 available too.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

Theres a 700 available too.

Awesome.  was not aware that Pace was making them too…

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

If www.redh.com/dtv is to be trusted, there is a HR44-200 , HR44-500 and a HR44-700.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

If www.redh.com/dtv is to be trusted, there is a HR44-200 , HR44-500 and a HR44-700.

Hmm, I guess the HR44 is here to stay for the long haul if we go by the fact that the HR34 was only made by Pace and the 44 is being made by 3 manufacturers. 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   dstay22

dstay22

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

I've got the HR44-500.  After watching more Directv with both this HR44 and my HR24, I think the problems I've been seeing are more an overall Directv problem and not the HR44 as I originally thought.  The weird thing is that I don't remember seeing these issues as much when I had the HR24 and an old HR20.  I did upgrade to whole home DVR at the same time as I received the HR44.  Any chance this would cause my overall quality level to suffer?

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,473 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

When I  got my Sammy plasma two years ago, I set the color controls to what was recommended by —IIRC— CNET's website. 

Perhaps since then I've gotten used to loss of detail in the dark range, but you've raised my curiosity! Are there some movies that have egregious black stuffing? Of course, it's not all the TV or DIRECTV's doing when blacks are crushed, but can certainly be a large factor. 

If someone can site a movie or TV show where this is quite apparent, I'd appreciate it. Gives me an excuse to mess with settings again!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall