Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OMG On Demand is SLOWWWW!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

I have a 24 Mpbs connection which reaches around 22 to 23 typically. My Hr24 is connected, apps work, youtube works, etc. I found this show I like called Property Brothers on HGTV, and saw no reruns coming up so I went to download one and I kid you not it took 8 hours to download a 47 minute program. I thought that was insane, so I took my laptop to the ethernet going into the back of the Hr24 to speedtest it and it was fast.........Youtube seemed fast and there was no buffering at all on the Hr24........Is this normal for on demand to be that slow? It seems unlikely to me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

2696125046.png

80947556.png

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Just so I don't repost everthing : http://www.dbstalk.c...ream-on-demand/

No this isn't normal for some of us, but some do have this problem.

I can't find anything here that points to it being DirecTV, so it may be your ISP, which I did have problems with once. I changed ISP and haven't seen a probelms in years.

A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

But I don't have any problems streaming anything with my ISP and browsing is fast - I even downloaded a large test file and got almost 3000 kb/s during the download. I dunno, it's weird. :(

Good thing I don't use on demand a lot

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

But I don't have any problems streaming anything with my ISP and browsing is fast - I even downloaded a large test file and got almost 3000 kb/s during the download. I dunno, it's weird. :(

Good thing I don't use on demand a lot

That's the same way my "bad ISP" was.

My last day with them I started the same download, but one was through the cable & the other my [new] DSL.

SD OnDemand, was 1:1 on my 3 Mb/s DSL, and was taking 18+ hours over my 3Mb/s cable.

I dumped the cable and haven't had a problem since.

A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if they started "penalizing" for using other services. My parents have Frontier DSL and when they were going to have a cap of 5gb a month, it was going to apply to DirecTV, not DIsh and Carbonite online backup, but not Mozy etc.

I can see them doing the same with throttling speed.

#7 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

My 24 mpbs is DSL and is Windstream. I could switch to Time Warner, but I just have never had a problem here locally with Windstream. They have no caps at all. They do not throttle. My router keeps track of Data usage and some months I've used over 250 gigs, but generally it's 100 to 150 gigs per month.......On a broadband forum one person stated they used 500 gigs one months and Windstream said nothing to them....

It just seems ODD that my ISP who actually partners with D* for bundled service, would choose to throttle D* on demand, but not Netflix, Youtube, Amazon, or anything else......It makes no sense....

And another thing I want to add............In the past, I've downloaded on demand with D* but it's only been a few times (perhaps like 6 months or so ago) and it downloaded FAST! It's just been a while since I've used on demand so I just recently started again and noticed how unbelievably slow it is..........In fact, I don't think I had this Hr24, I think it was the HR21 when I used On Demand in the past......Can't remember.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

My 24 mpbs is DSL and is Windstream. I could switch to Time Warner, but I just have never had a problem here locally with Windstream. They have no caps at all. They do not throttle. My router keeps track of Data usage and some months I've used over 250 gigs, but generally it's 100 to 150 gigs per month.......On a broadband forum one person stated they used 500 gigs one months and Windstream said nothing to them....

It just seems ODD that my ISP who actually partners with D* for bundled service, would choose to throttle D* on demand, but not Netflix, Youtube, Amazon, or anything else......It makes no sense....

And another thing I want to add............In the past, I've downloaded on demand with D* but it's only been a few times (perhaps like 6 months or so ago) and it downloaded FAST! It's just been a while since I've used on demand so I just recently started again and noticed how unbelievably slow it is..........In fact, I don't think I had this Hr24, I think it was the HR21 when I used On Demand in the past......Can't remember.

Seems like a couple of things:

1) can you measwure the download bit-rate? I can off my U-Verse router and where I see 7+ [ish] Mb/s.

2) Have you called your ISP to see what they say?

A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

I just did something that made a slight difference, but not that big of a difference. I went to network connections and restored defaults and did everything over again and it connected, then I went to network services and connected and in the past when network services finished setup, I always received this message "Network services connected successfully, but the test failed"........This time it said "congratulations, network services connected successfully" .......I started a download on demand at 9 pm and its now 10:23 and it's 47% done......Is that fast? No......But at least at this rate it won't take 8 hours. 

I called Directv tech support and the person on the phone told me that she knows exactly what I'm talking about. Sometimes it downloads in a reasonable amt of time for her, other times it takes an entire day and she had high speed cable internet....She said it had something to do with their servers. She also said some on demand channels are slower than others.........That still doesn't explain why some have no problems.

I can't log into my Comtrend modem because it in bridge mode with my Netgear router.....Not sure how to check the bit-rate.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

Network services don't have anything to do with this, but the reset of network defaults is a good thing if the problem was in the receiver.

My services always report <202>, and that's when everything is working.

Without being able to get a idea of either the download rate, or be able to sample the playback rate of the recording, it's hard to get an idea of where the choke point it.

CSRs I doubt are the best source of "real" information.

I'm not trying to say it can't be on the DirecTV side, but that I can't find any sign of it, and I've done a lot of looking.

A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:25 AM

I figured that about the CSR..........

anyway -to report back ........Tonight about the same time as I did this last night, I downloaded "My Haunted House" which is a new series on Bio and they have the first episode that aired last week On demand, so I downloaded it starting the download at 12:53a, and it was finished at 1:37a! The download time was almost exactly the length of the actual program.

Much faster

I hear people say ALL the time that network services have nothing to do with anything. What exactly is "network services" for?  This is the first time I've not gotten some type of error when reconnecting network services......I do know that in the past, when Network services would NOT connect & the receiver WAS connected to the internet, apps would NOT work unless network services was working. If network services gave an error, apps would give an error initializing........so network services does have something to do with at least that part of the receiver it seems..........Anyway - everything seems to be working now.....I guess resetting to default and reconnecting helped fix whatever was wrong.

Edited by mark40511, 09 May 2013 - 12:27 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

I too have noticed that for seemingly random reasons
some shows will appear to stick and take forever, while some download normally...had a Game of Thrones episode do that
noticed it had been loading for around 2 hours..deleted it and started over and it down loaded like normal

My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

I figured that about the CSR..........

anyway -to report back ........Tonight about the same time as I did this last night, I downloaded "My Haunted House" which is a new series on Bio and they have the first episode that aired last week On demand, so I downloaded it starting the download at 12:53a, and it was finished at 1:37a! The download time was almost exactly the length of the actual program.

Much faster

I hear people say ALL the time that network services have nothing to do with anything. What exactly is "network services" for?  This is the first time I've not gotten some type of error when reconnecting network services......I do know that in the past, when Network services would NOT connect & the receiver WAS connected to the internet, apps would NOT work unless network services was working. If network services gave an error, apps would give an error initializing........so network services does have something to do with at least that part of the receiver it seems..........Anyway - everything seems to be working now.....I guess resetting to default and reconnecting helped fix whatever was wrong.

TVApps use part of the network service I've been told, but this it.

After a reboot or update if they have <100> or <300> TVApps don't work, but all I need to do is wait and they do work, which is when <200> shows.

A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...