Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH mass email says "Exclusive Offer! Free Upgrade to the HOPPER from DISH!"

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

Body of email tells me ~

To say thank you for being a loyal DISH customer, we've reserved the most advanced Whole-Home HD DVR system, the Hopper®, just for you!

. . .BUT after talking to them, I find out this is the older Hopper they want me to upgrade to (I have the VIP922 right now).  So, I get another $ 7 fee, no sling, and a weak wifi dongle (no powerline connector - would have to run Ethernet for decent streaming).  Of course, a new 2-year contract comes with.

No thanks.  Looks like DISH is trying to clear out the old Hoppers.  Watch your Inbox if you didn't see this already. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

Hmmm... My Sister in Law jumped at the deal and couldn't be happier, what would have cost money plus a contract prior she now got for free and Dish agreed to a one year contract. What you want is the latest greatest for free. We all probably do, but that's not how it usually works. She got notified of it over a month ago. And now she's in before the increase. Her family loves the set-up. 

If you are complaining about the $7 fee then you don't want either set-up probably?

Edited by tampa8, 08 May 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

What's another $7 fee? I looked into one and was told my bill would not change at all.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,613 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

If you are coming from a 922 (like I also would be), then I see how that would seem like a step backwards if you use the Sling a lot on your 922...  you would want to upgrade to the Hopper w/ Sling to keep that functionality intact.  I could see where that would be disappointing in that scenario.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

Body of email tells me ~

To say thank you for being a loyal DISH customer, we've reserved the most advanced Whole-Home HD DVR system, the Hopper®, just for you!

. . .BUT after talking to them, I find out this is the older Hopper they want me to upgrade to (I have the VIP922 right now).  So, I get another $ 7 fee, no sling, and a weak wifi dongle (no powerline connector - would have to run Ethernet for decent streaming).  Of course, a new 2-year contract comes with.

No thanks.  Looks like DISH is trying to clear out the old Hoppers.  Watch your Inbox if you didn't see this already. 

My Hopper is connected using a pair of ethernet over powerline adapters. Nothing wrong with the old Hopper.

• tampa8 likes this

#6 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

There is also the Hopper Internet Connector option as far as the connectivity goes.

The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#7 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

I wish I had gotten this offer last December...could have saved about $100.

Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

#8 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

I asked Dish about upgrading to 2 Hopper 2000s plus 3 Joeys, Dish said no upgrade charge.

Since I already had 2 Sling Adapters, I took the offer.

When the email confirmation came it said one Hopper 2000, one Hopper w/Sling, so I called to make sure there was still no charge for the H w/S and sure enough I got the Hopper1 + the Hopper2 and 3 Joeys for no upgrade charge.

Still learning all the quirks of the system, but everyone likes it.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#9 OFFLINE   CheriT @ DISH Network

CheriT @ DISH Network

AllStar

• DISH Representative
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

We would be more than happy to look into options for upgrading to the Hopper or Hopper with sling system! If anyone has any questions or concerns please feel free to send us a PM anytime!

Cheri Torres
Social Media Representative
Cheri.Torres@Dish.com

#10 OFFLINE   Big Don 83

Big Don 83

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Are you sure the Hopper up grade is free

#11 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 520 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

If you are coming from a 922 (like I also would be), then I see how that would seem like a step backwards if you use the Sling a lot on your 922...  you would want to upgrade to the Hopper w/ Sling to keep that functionality intact.  I could see where that would be disappointing in that scenario.

I have the original Hopper with the Sling Adapter, and I'm pretty darned happy. The only thing I'm missing from the Hopper w/Sling, other than the better hardware specs, is the ability to copy recordings to my iPad. That would be a nice feature to have, but I wouldn't use it very often.

#12 OFFLINE   lenny

lenny

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

I did a free upgrade to 1 Hopper with sling, 1 hopper, and 2 joeys a couple weeks ago and love it.  I had 2 722k's, 1 622, and a couple non-DVR receivers.

We love it so far.  It's weird going to receivers that only hookup to 1 TV when you're used to having the dual tuner/TV receivers but you can extend any of the hoppers or joeys with an RF Modulator.  So I bought some of those to be able to watch on other TVs in the house.  Although, those TVs have to watch the same thing as the hopper or joey it's connected too.

I love the prime time feature and being able to retrieve things out of the deleted folder.  Also, I'm glad I don't have to keep moving recorded shows from one receiver to the other receiver with an external drive.  Now you can access any show from any hopper or joey.  That is really cool.  Now the external drives are strictly for moving off content when you fill the drive which I haven't done yet.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...