Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Client Requires Tech Install?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   justsam

justsam

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

I called DTV today to see about upgrading to the Genie.

I currently have:

HR24-500

H24-700

H24-100

D12-100x(2)

LNBf-SL3S

SWS8

My intent was to use the Genie, and replace the HR24-500, and the two D12-100s.  The HR 24 has been going to a totally black screen at times, no error codes, and HDMI port/cable has been changed so thought I would cure the problem and upgrade too.

The agent said I could swap out the HR24-500 with the Genie, and they would just ship it to me for self install.  However if I wanted to use clients to replace the D12-100s that it would require a tech visit.  Clearly I am not an expert, but this was not my understanding, so I continued to ask the same question, and got the same response.  Genie by itself would be self install, but any clients require a tech.

I want to keep this under the 8 tuner limit and thought the clients would be the way to do it without a tech visit.

At the end of the day he wanted $300 for the Genie and one client, $100 for the second, and $50 for the tech visit.

I thought it too rich for the benefit I would get.  I am no longer under contract, my payment history is perfect, (it is automatic), and my average bill now is $120.

I am going to call Dish tomorrow and see if I can not at least take advantage of short term lower rates since DTV doesn't seem to want to help.  I don't have patience for multiple phone calls or agent roulette. If I must have a tech visit than I may as well get lower rates while I am at it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,491 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

I believe that has been official policy, though it doesn't make any sense to me.

#3 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

Not all areas have offers on Genie's yet.  You may have the option of a free hd dvr but no offer for the Genie.  Do you have the Protection Plan?  If so, how long have you had it?  How many recording tuners do you really care to have?  Keep in mind the Hopper only had 3 tuners at your disposal with PTAT turned off.  If you love local programming then that may work out perfectly for you.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,618 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

obviously you are free to leave whenever you want, but just know that the grass in not always on the other side

http://forums.direct...rtalPageId=1002

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

I wonder if D* is haveing a freebie/upgrade strike in preperation for the upcoming changes to the protection plan. I can see why in terms of keeping stock because im sure everyone with the plan is going to flood the phone lines come the 16th. I have known of a few friends and family members that are out of contract looking to upgrade to genie and just had the door slammed at them by D*... one friend told me that the best they could offer was a verizon DSL bundle deal...

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#6 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

I just got a Genie and install for free.  didn't do a thing.  they offered it to me.  now that I have it,  I will probably cancel PP.  I just called to inquire about what the new protection plan would do for me.

#7 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:11 PM

IANMTU:

Had a customer call and she wanted her new Genie connected.  When I got there, she not only had a Genie, she had 2 clients!  D* had shipped them to her and there they were.

I did not make the call to D* for the upgrade, and she just said she called about some of her discounts expiring, and when she finished the call, D* had extended one discount, and agreed to send new stuff.

Good for her, but here's another case of D* keeping customer records in a shoebox under the bed in the guest room.  My customer has an H20, and HR20, and another H2X (it was not silver), and no SWiM.

I told the lady I could call and get an install appt scheduled for her.  She was not thrilled about that, "I want YOU to do it".  Well, I had a power inserter, some green label splitters, and a SWiM LNB in the truck so I got to it.

I still don't know what she said to them to get a Genie and 2 C31s sent to her, but it must be possible, although it's a head scratcher they'd send all that to a house they have never SWiMed.

She decided to keep the HR20 and the H2X, the H20 was unwilling to configure to SWiM, and I did not spend much time on persuading it.  She's thrilled to have her old recordings still on the system, and having the whole home DVR really made her happy. If and when the HR20 croaks, she'll probably get another C31, but she will also need an AM21 for the Genie, she loves MeTV.

She also claimed to have  a 2 year price guarantee.  I have never heard of that, and I will defer to the long timers here if she really did score that brass ring.  I suspect she will have a surprise on a bill well before the 2 years burns off, and I hope she calls D* on that instead of me, LOL.

#8 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

When my installer set up the clients he had to call in to Directv. They have to have the serial number or something from each client which they set up in some software, and if it doesn't show up in the installers smart phone he can't complete the install. He had to wait about 20 minutes before the second of my two clients was ready to have its install completed. That might be why clients can't be self installed, at this point in time anyway.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

That might be why clients can't be self installed, at this point in time anyway.

Not the case.  while is true that DirecTV needs the serial number of the clients, I assume for record tracking purposes, anyone can "buy" a client from an authorized dealer like SS and call DirecTV and have them add a client license (by providing the SN) and you can continue to add the client to yur network.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

I called and activated the Genie first, and it was one of the rare times the automated system handled the call and worked all the way through.  I had to enter the RID and the last 4 of the access.  But when I called back to activate the C31s, I just needed to tell what rooms they were in, and I was not asked for ANY numbers. (it was a live operator, not the computer this time) I was only near the one box when it went from the "call to D* to activate screen" to the 'enter what room this in screen".  Seems like it might have asked to copy settings from the Genie and I was good on that one.  When I got to the other C31, it was asking what room it was in, and right after I entered that, it went to a software download.  Checked the 1st C31 at that point and it was updating too.

Only thing that was a little weird was I had to enter the PIN 3 times on one and twice on the other.

I think I saw the 'enter what room' screen before the CSR had her screen repopulate, that was funny.  Frequently, the CSRs think they are done with you, and the box is still digesting what all they sent it, and I like to be sure it's all aworkin'.

Edited by gov, 12 May 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

IANMTU:

I still don't know what she said to them to get a Genie and 2 C31s sent to her, but it must be possible, although it's a head scratcher they'd send all that to a house they have never SWiMed.

There was a glitch with the ordering system allowing drop ship on Genies on accounts with no SWM installed.  The glitch has been fixed.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

The glitch has been fixed.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

RIGHT!?  Too many people work for D* that do not know how to check if a technician is needed before placing the order.  So sad...

#14 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

I was happy with how it went, just curious how she managed to score all those goodies, LOL.  First (and apparently last) time I will get to solo install a SWiM upgrade, a Genie and some clients.

I was surprised how much stuff D* sent, 2 composite 10 pins, 2 component 10 pins, 2 RCA component cables, 3 nice RC65RF remotes, phone cords, etc.  They just didn't send any SWiM stuff, or any DECA hardware.  Several of those items are not on  the 'official' D* trucks (although I carry them, much to the chagrin of the regular D* guys I encounter)

Home owner was very helpful, one client location had a run of RG6 he had installed during a remodel a few years ago, fortunately, he remembered where the wire was hid in the utility room (I never would have found it).

I might have to go back, the original installer (not me) has the dish mounted on OSB, no foot or monopole lag screws are on a rafter.  House is prefab/modular and I am not real thrilled with the rigidity of the dish.  I tweaked the aim on the dish, (from ~80s to ~90s on HDs) if it doesn't hold, will have to consider beefing up the mount or moving it.

Or let D* do it, LOL.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

I was surprised how much stuff D* sent, 2 composite 10 pins, 2 component 10 pins, 2 RCA component cables, 3 nice RC65RF remotes, phone cords, etc.  They just didn't send any SWiM stuff, or any DECA hardware.  Several of those items are not on  the 'official' D* trucks (although I carry them, much to the chagrin of the regular D* guys I encounter)

Don't know about anybody else, but those items that you mentioned are carried on all our trucks in our warehouse by the tons….

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

I've had regular D* techs beg me for RF remotes, lighted remotes, H24 wall mount brackets, RF remote dongles and 10 pins.  I've encountered techs that have never heard of AM21s too.  (I don't carry any on my truck, but I know they exist and I can get them)

Apparently policy varies from hub to hub.

At one time in this area on the E* side, techs could be fired for carrying DPP44s in their trucks, but that's another sad, sordid story.

#17 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

Well, had a callback from the lady with the Genie and 2 C31s.

Her H2X was 726d.  Called D*, no real explanation, (I am just speculating somebody was bored and looking for something to do, LOL), anyhow about 24 hours after I left the box went out.  I called, the box was off her account, no explanation offered, and they put the box back on the account.  Weird, but unfortunately, not that surprising.

Whatever they did, also messed up sharing the playlist, I'm stopping by this afternoon and see if that is back on (was advised that was going to take up to 24 hours to restore).

#18 OFFLINE   NLRay

NLRay

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

A couple weeks back, I had set up a Genie and 3 client install, and all I was going to pay was $50 install, all the hardware was either free or rebated.  It wasn't until the installer got there that I understood the clients were all going to be wired.  Installer told me he'd have to run new  wire to each location (some RG59 some old splits etc. lot's of history in this house) and that since he wasn't a licensed electrician he couldn't fish wire.  So, all my wall mounts were going to have exposed wire.  So, I cancelled.  Waiting on wireless clients to be available.  Also thinking about switching to Dish, or talking to a reseller.  But as for the deal, all that was pretty much offered up without me asking or threatening or anything. (17 year customer)

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

Waiting on wireless clients to be available. 

Could be waiting for a long time….

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall