Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper/Joey Questions from an old subscriber

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

Hi all,

I switched from Dish to DirecTV about a year ago to test the pastures on the other side. I went with their top-of-the-line HR34/H25 combo.

Just as I was a perpetual beta tester for Dish, I now feel exactly the same way over here at DirecTV.

Anyway...

I'm thinking of switching back to Dish and trying the Hopper/Joey setup. I read the manual for the Hopper, but some things seem unclear. Can someone please answer some questions for me?

I used to have a VIP-722 just before I switched, so that's what I am basing my questions on.

1) Does the Hopper allow you to create user-defined subdirectories in the main directory of recordings as the 722 did? In other words, can I create: Dad, Mom, Kids, folders, etc. and set the timers to record into specific folders? No such luck with DirecTV and what a mess it is to sort through the huge listing of programs just to find one of my shows.

2)  Can you change the guide format (font size) to show more/less channels and timeblocks on the screen as you could with the 722?

3) Does Dish still charge $40 to "activate" the external hard drive on the Hopper?

4) Can someone please check the HBO on Demand that comes with Dish and see if all six seasons of The Sopranos is available for download?

5) With only three uswer-defined timers/tuners, as opposed to five on DirecTV, are any of you Power Users out there hitting a lot of timer conflicts? The Prime Time Anytime seems nice (assuming it works correectly), but still there's only three other tuners to use for non-primetime recording.

6) Is there an OTA antenna input/tuner to use with the Hopper like there was with the older Dish receivers? I see an optional USB tuner. Is this compatible with both Hoppers (with and without Sling)? What is the extra cost to get this option? Does this tuner eat up one of the three existing ones or is it in addition to the three sat. tuners?

7) How massive are the monthly fees for a single Hopper/Joey setup? Is the Hopper with Sling more per month to have/use in fees?

8) Does the basic Hopper without Sling support AutoHop? I don't see this mentioned in the manual as it is in the Hopper with Sling manual.

9) There seems to be more than one model number for the Hopper. Are these just the Hopper vs Hopper with Sling?

10) I don't see BlueTooth Audio Streaming on the basic Hopper without Sling.

11) Has anyone successfully controlled at least the volume on a Bose Surround system with the Dish remote?

12) Do I have to provide a separate Slingbox or is it included?

13) Are there any differences between the Hopper and the Hopper with Sling units other than the Sling capabilities and the other things I asked about above?

I will assume there are still just as many bug fixes/new bug introductions as there ever were on Dish from reading this forum. Like I said, DirecTV is exactly the same.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to all of my questions.

Edited by Bogey62, 08 May 2013 - 09:15 PM.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey
Sirius Sportster 4 Replay

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

Hi all,

I switched from Dish to DirecTV about a year ago to test the pastures on the other side. I went with their top-of-the-line HR34/H25 combo.

Just as I was a perpetual beta tester for Dish, I now feel exactly the same way over here at DirecTV.

Anyway...

I'm thinking of switching back to Dish and trying the Hopper/Joey setup. I read the manual for the Hopper, but some things seem unclear. Can someone please answer some questions for me?

I used to have a VIP-722 just before I switched, so that's what I am basing my questions on.

1) Does the Hopper allow you to create user-defined subdirectories in the main directory of recordings as the 722 did? In other words, can I create: Dad, Mom, Kids, folders, etc. and set the timers to record into specific folders? No such luck with DirecTV and what a mess it is to sort through the huge listing of programs just to find one of my shows.

Yes you can have up to 5 folders

2)  Can you change the guide format (font size) to show more/less channels and timeblocks on the screen as you could with the 722?

not at this time, don't know if they will add in the future

3) Does Dish still charge $40 to "activate" the external hard drive on the Hopper?

EHD activation on DVR's has been frre for the last couple of years

4) Can someone please check the HBO on Demand that comes with Dish and see if all six seasons of The Sopranos is available for download?

5) With only three uswer-defined timers/tuners, as opposed to five on DirecTV, are any of you Power Users out there hitting a lot of timer conflicts? The Prime Time Anytime seems nice (assuming it works correectly), but still there's only three other tuners to use for non-primetime recording.

When I had my 722's I required two to get all my recordings now I record every thing on a single Hopper with NO conflicts

6) Is there an OTA antenna input/tuner to use with the Hopper like there was with the older Dish receivers? I see an optional USB tuner. Is this compatible with both Hoppers (with and without Sling)? What is the extra cost to get this option? Does this tuner eat up one of the three existing ones or is it in addition to the three sat. tuners?

The USB OTA module is an additional tuner so you would have a total of 4

7) How massive are the monthly fees for a single Hopper/Joey setup? Is the Hopper with Sling more per month to have/use in fees?

8) Does the basic Hopper without Sling support AutoHop? I don't see this mentioned in the manual as it is in the Hopper with Sling manual.

Yes

9) There seems to be more than one model number for the Hopper. Are these just the Hopper vs Hopper with Sling?

There are only two models

10) I don't see BlueTooth Audio Streaming on the basic Hopper without Sling.

It is there on both models

11) Are there any differences between the Hopper and the Hopper with Sling units other than the Sling capabilities and the other things I asked about above?

12) Do I have to provide a separate Slingbox or is it included?

The Hopper 2.0 has sling buiit in so no extra sling device is needed

I will assume there are still just as many bug fixes/new bug introductions as there ever were on Dish from reading this forum. Like I said, DirecTV is exactly the same.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to all of my questions.

I answered some of your questions in the quote.

Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#3 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

11) Has anyone successfully controlled at least the volume on a Bose Surround system with the Dish remote?

13) Are there any differences between the Hopper and the Hopper with Sling units other than the Sling capabilities and the other things I asked about above?

4. Whatever's available on HBO On Demand is on the Hopper.
7. They're the same monthly.
11. I use my Onkyo and my Sony receivers with it. YMMV.

13. Sling is built in and also supports transfer of videos to your i-thing and android pads.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#4 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the responses -- very helpful.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey
Sirius Sportster 4 Replay

Protected By... spam firewall...And...