I switched from Dish to DirecTV about a year ago to test the pastures on the other side. I went with their top-of-the-line HR34/H25 combo.
Just as I was a perpetual beta tester for Dish, I now feel exactly the same way over here at DirecTV.
I'm thinking of switching back to Dish and trying the Hopper/Joey setup. I read the manual for the Hopper, but some things seem unclear. Can someone please answer some questions for me?
I used to have a VIP-722 just before I switched, so that's what I am basing my questions on.
1) Does the Hopper allow you to create user-defined subdirectories in the main directory of recordings as the 722 did? In other words, can I create: Dad, Mom, Kids, folders, etc. and set the timers to record into specific folders? No such luck with DirecTV and what a mess it is to sort through the huge listing of programs just to find one of my shows.
2) Can you change the guide format (font size) to show more/less channels and timeblocks on the screen as you could with the 722?
3) Does Dish still charge $40 to "activate" the external hard drive on the Hopper?
4) Can someone please check the HBO on Demand that comes with Dish and see if all six seasons of The Sopranos is available for download?
5) With only three uswer-defined timers/tuners, as opposed to five on DirecTV, are any of you Power Users out there hitting a lot of timer conflicts? The Prime Time Anytime seems nice (assuming it works correectly), but still there's only three other tuners to use for non-primetime recording.
6) Is there an OTA antenna input/tuner to use with the Hopper like there was with the older Dish receivers? I see an optional USB tuner. Is this compatible with both Hoppers (with and without Sling)? What is the extra cost to get this option? Does this tuner eat up one of the three existing ones or is it in addition to the three sat. tuners?
7) How massive are the monthly fees for a single Hopper/Joey setup? Is the Hopper with Sling more per month to have/use in fees?
8) Does the basic Hopper without Sling support AutoHop? I don't see this mentioned in the manual as it is in the Hopper with Sling manual.
9) There seems to be more than one model number for the Hopper. Are these just the Hopper vs Hopper with Sling?
10) I don't see BlueTooth Audio Streaming on the basic Hopper without Sling.
11) Has anyone successfully controlled at least the volume on a Bose Surround system with the Dish remote?
12) Do I have to provide a separate Slingbox or is it included?
13) Are there any differences between the Hopper and the Hopper with Sling units other than the Sling capabilities and the other things I asked about above?
I will assume there are still just as many bug fixes/new bug introductions as there ever were on Dish from reading this forum. Like I said, DirecTV is exactly the same.
Thanks for taking the time to respond to all of my questions.
Edited by Bogey62, 08 May 2013 - 09:15 PM.