Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2013 Broadcast Network Upfronts - What will we see next year?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

Where is one of my favorite shows "Mike & Molly"?

Never mind,,

Season 4 holding until midseason - here's why

http://blog.zap2it.c...-heres-why.html

"It's a show that we love, and it puts us in a great place strategically when we talk about getting more originals, less repeats," CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler told reporters Wednesday. "It gives us a chance to bring a show in at midseason ... that is a known asset, that people love."

CBS is launching four new comedies in the fall: "Mom," which gets "Mike & Molly's" old spot at 9:30 p.m. ET Mondays, "We Are Men," "The Crazy Ones" and "The Millers." The network obviously isn't planning for any of them to fail, but if one of them doesn't catch on, having a proven show waiting in the wings isn't the worst thing.

I don't like this move at all

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

no 24?

:(

It will premier next May according to the news reports.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#23 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Here's the tentative Fall 2013 Broadcast Network Prime Time Schedule (click here for a printable PDF version):

2013_Fall_Sched_sm.jpg

Click on the image for a larger version.

Note: The networks have banned original programming on Saturday's at prime time - it's either sports or reruns.

We can now play "Where's Waldo" to find our favorite returning show which may be appearing on a new day and time.

Because they were fourth in the upfront presentations, CBS Chief Les Moonves had a few things to say:

CBS Corp. president and CEO Leslie Moonves once again took issue with Jimmy Kimmel's jabs at CBS as the geriatric network. But he did admit to being “flattered” that the ABC late-night host characterized No. 1 CBS as “smug motherf----rs” at Kimmel's annual upfront routine.  

“I guess that means we're winning,” Moonves said during the network's pre-upfront press conference Wednesday morning at CBS headquarters in New York. “We'll try to be a little less smug and a little more gracious. But that's hard for me, as you know.”

But Moonves took some shots of his own at the broadcast competition, which touted various multiplatform initiatives, granular demographic data and new measurement schemes. “Anybody who spends 20 minutes talking about multiplatform at their upfront does not have much else to sell,” said Moonves, adding that CBS beats its broadcast competition by 4 million to 5 million viewers and will finish the season as the No. 1 network among the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demographic for the first time in more than 10 years. It's a point Moonves is likely to make for ad buyers who will gather at the network's annual 4 p.m. EST presentation at Carnegie Hall.

When I look at this schedule IMHO Moonves ought to be a little less smug about the upcoming season.

We all know that NBC will control both the age 18-49 demo and age 50+ viewers Sundays with "Sunday Night Football" as they have for some time.

Except for 10-11 pm, NBC is likely to control the demo Mondays with "The Voice" while ABC will control the 50+ viewers with "Dancing with the Stars". Right now ABC has the advantage with "Castle" at 10 pm on Mondays as CBS and NBC are introducing "Hostages" and "The Blacklist" respectively. With "The Voice" as a lead in, I would give "The Blacklist" a better than even chance to win 10 pm as the story line is appealing. Of course it could be poorly done, which means people will drift back to "Castle."

Leading with the returning "NCIS" duo, CBS has a strong Tuesday, moving "Person of Interest" to 10 pm.  Whether ABC's "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D" will erode "NCIS" in the demo isn't clear. "NCIS: LA" may have problems holding its ratings. If I were a gambler, I'd bet the Fall third week 10 pm trifecta as CBS "Person of Interest" #1, NBC "Chicago Fire" #2, and ABC "Lucky 7" #3.

Wednesday seems to me to be in play except for 9-9:30 which "Modern Family" seems to have a lock on. At 8 pm "Survivor" has to compete with "X-Factor" for the reality show viewers, while ABC gets the sitcom viewers. NBC is moving "Revolution" into that slot which for the hour could shake the ratings up. The 10 pm hour might give NBC a chance. "Ironside", is a remake (kind of, sort of) of the 1967–1975 series with the same name. If done well, it could compete with "CSI" while "Nashville" was already running #3 in May.

IMHO Thursday has been scheduled for ratings weirdness. CBS is bookending two new sitcoms - at 8:30 ("The Millers" with Will Arnett and Beau Bridges) and 9:00 ("The Crazy Ones" with Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar) -  between "The Big Bang Theory" and "Two and a Half Men". NBC is introducing three new sitcoms using "Parks and Recreation" as the lead at 8 pm. with "Welcome to the Family" at 8:30 (good grief it has Mary McCormack of "In Plain Sight" fame), "Sean Saves the World" at 9:00 (starring Sean P. Hayes of "Will & Grace" fame) and "The Michael J. Fox Show" at 9:30 starring some actor. There is no question that "The Big Bang Theory" will control ratings from 8:00-8:30, but after that it is totally unpredictable where the live viewers will go, particularly the demo. With that said, I have  a feeling the risk is ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" could easily draw viewers who intend to watch "Scandal" at 10 pm. Since they've had a hard time killing the show, NBC decided to put "Parenthood" in the 10 pm Thursday slot where it has no chance and "Elementary" was already significantly behind "Scandle" in the demo.

Friday's present a problem for the networks. The fact is over 20+ years the demo has slowly stopped watching TV on Fridays. Fox is abandoning one of its two hours to reruns. Apparently NBC was unhappy with the much higher ratings "Grimm" was getting after they moved it to Tuesdays, so they're moving it back to Friday along with a new show "Dracula". While I see the theme, apparently they didn't get the memo about Friday being for news shows and cheap reality shows, except for CBS. I'll be curious to see how "Hawaii Five-0" does in the old "CSI:NY" Friday time slot.

Finally, about Moonves' comment “Anybody who spends 20 minutes talking about multiplatform at their upfront does not have much else to sell.”  Those of us in the geriatric set are looking very hard at the Millennials who are embracing the flexibility offered by the multiplatform approach. While I recognize that Disney, which owns ABC, has a good start targeting that younger group, I must believe over at CBS Moonves is scrambling to figure out how to appeal to them on their terms. Please note, Les,  the broadened focus here. So welcome to the future, Mr. Moonves...The Digital Bit Streams starts here with DBSTalk.

Edited by phrelin, 16 May 2013 - 10:28 AM.

• oldschoolecw likes this

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#24 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

Great chart phrelin, thanks for taking the time to make it.

Cheers

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#25 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

Great chart phrelin, thanks for taking the time to make it.

Cheers

You're welcome. I've added The CW's schedule shown below to the chart. (Some may need to have their browser reload the page to get the updated chart.) I've also added a PDF version that can be printed.

The CW FALL 2013-14 SCHEDULE (new programs in UPPER CASE)

MONDAY
8-9 p.m. Hart of Dixie
9-10 p.m. Beauty and the Beast

TUESDAY
8-9 p.m. THE ORIGINALS
9-10 p.m. Supernatural

WEDNESDAY
8-9 p.m. Arrow
9-10 p.m. THE TOMORROW PEOPLE

THURSDAY
8-9 p.m. The Vampire Diaries
9-10 p.m. REIGN

FRIDAY
8-9 p.m. The Carrie Diaries
9-10 p.m. America's Next Top Model 

My AV Setup

#26 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

IMHO it is important to note that the 2013 Broadcast Network Prime Time Schedule as laid out by the broadcast networks this week offers 67 hours of original programming each week available to most American's off the air (OTA). That's almost 10 hours a night for "live viewers" who can pick up repeats on Saturdays. And that doesn't take into account PBS shows amd the Spanish language broadcast networks.

Assuming you live where you can get OTA (I don't), that's a lot of home entertainment before one decides to pay for cable, satellite, and/or internet service. Sometimes we don't appreciate what we have.

My AV Setup

#27 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

IMHO it is important to note that the 2013 Broadcast Network Prime Time Schedule as laid out by the broadcast networks this week offers 67 hours of original programming each week available to most American's off the air (OTA). That's almost 10 hours a night for "live viewers" who can pick up repeats on Saturdays. And that doesn't take into account PBS shows amd the Spanish language broadcast networks.

Assuming you live where you can get OTA (I don't), that's a lot of home entertainment before one decides to pay for cable, satellite, and/or internet service. Sometimes we don't appreciate what we have.

In my neck of the woods we just got Cozi TV OTA turned on, so far so good, classic TV programming which I love

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#28 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 904 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

So it looks like these are the network show I'll be watching this fall (need to also check out most of the new ones premiering):

CBS: How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory

ABC: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Modern Family, The Neighbors

FOX: The Following, Bob's Burgers

NBC: Parks and Recreation, Parenthood

#29 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

Next week the broadcast networks will offer their schedules for the 2013-14 season to advertisers.  NBC starts Upfront Week Sunday evening. But Fox got the jump on them by making some announcements tonight.

See Fox orders JJ Abrams’ android cop, Seth MacFarlane guy-com, Ichabod Crane as action hero for a rundown on the Upfront Week.

Also The Futon Critic offers up both news release FOX Drama Series Pick Ups and FOX Comedy Series Pick Ups.

Here's the upfront schedule for the Broadcast Networks:

2013 Broadcast Network Upfront Meetings

May 13, 2013  NBC  New York  Morning
May 13, 2013  FOX  New York  Afternoon
May 14, 2013  Univision  New York  Morning
May 14, 2013  ABC  New York  Afternoon
May 15, 2013  CBS  New York  Afternoon
May 16, 2013  The CW  New York  Morning

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#30 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic