Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Senator McCain Proposing Legislation to Enable A La Carte Subscriptions

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

McCain is prepping legislation to overhaul pay-TV business

The maverick wants to cook the TV industry's golden goose.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) is preparing to introduce legislation perhaps as early as Thursday that would dramatically overhaul the television business and will probably be met with strong opposition from the broadcast and cable industries if it ever gets off the ground.

Specifically, McCain wants to require pay-TV distributors to give consumers the option to buy channels on an individual or a la carte basis instead of the current system in which they must buy large bundles of channels.

He is also interested in protecting Aereo Inc., the start-up that delivers the signals of broadcast TV networks -- including CBS, Fox and ABC -- to consumers via the Internet. Broadcasters say Aereo's service violates copyright laws and are suing in an attempt to shut it down.

continued at: http://www.latimes.c...0,6254534.story

Edited by alnielsen, 09 May 2013 - 08:04 AM.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,093 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

It won't get far whatsoever.

• Inkosaurus likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

I too doubt it will get past the industry lobbyists.

If passed wouldn't this likely void all the existing contracts between the distributors and the content owners?

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,320 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

I too doubt it will get past the industry lobbyists.

If passed wouldn't this likely void all the existing contracts between the distributors and the content owners?

No.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Either the article or the legislation is flawed. The article says that it would require distributors to give the option of a la carte, which is DirecTV, Dish etc. They wouldn't be able to do that without the media company.

Of course we all know that if it did happen (and we know it won't), they would make it so that the individual channels were much more expensive. It might work for some, if you only watch 5 channels or something, but likely not work for the majority if it ends up costing $5-$10 a month per channel. If someone only watched one show, say Mad Men on AMC, they would probably only subscribe during that time, or even more likely, just drop it completely.

But there is no way this will really go anywhere.

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Might be in effect, one of those bills that is actually a 'welfare for lawyers' kinda thing.

To bad we can't invest in 'lawsuit futures' on the Chicago Board of Trade, there could be some serious money to be made off this mess, if only there was a way to get a taste of the action.

• karrank% likes this

#7 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,320 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Personally, with many multiple streaming sources, I am no longer interested in a la carte.

If you still want it, don't just bellyache here -- write to your congressman and senators.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

This proposal will face a lot of opposition from the industry, but as far as I'm concerned something must be done about the rising cost of cable and satellite services, which is rising six times faster than the overall rate of inflation. Such rapid price increases are unacceptable. Normally I would oppose government intervention in the marketplace, but in this case if it takes the government to step in to stop this then so be it.

#9 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

If you think bundled channels is expensive with the current prices, just wait if they ever(which wouldn't happen) on a la carte, the prices could really jump sky high with content providers taking every chance they can to make it happen, They might make sweet deals at first then lured you in with exorbitant fees when it comes to ad revenues.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#10 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

It worked out ok with the C band distribution system.  You could subscribe to a channel by itself, of a group of 5 or 6 channels with genre content for less than the cost of the 5 or 6 individual channels.   If you didnt want any national news channels, you wouldnt have to pay for them.  If you just wanted Fox News, you could get it for $5 a month.  If you wanted CNN and MSNBC and the other news channels, you could get them all for $10.

For someone who likes a LOT of variety, it would end up costing a lot more.  For cord cutters who might just want 1 regional sports network, one news channel, and a small group of general variety channels like TBS, it would work out to their benefit.

It would also be nice for people who have, for example, DirecTv...with a full package, but wanted maybe 1 or 2 channels from DISH that DirecTv doesnt carry.    They wouldnt have to pay DISH for the full package with lots of duplicated channels just to get the 1 or 2 missing channels.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

C Band was a minor player ... not ~50 million subscribers and two of the top three providers like modern satellite carriers.

I agree that this effort is dead unless it requires channel providers to offer channels a la carte. That is the level that needs addressed ... not the resellers who are forced by their contracts with the channels to bundle (or are offered deals that make it the wisest move) but the channel providers themselves.

Of course, forcing providers to sell channels separately does not fix the pricing issues. Sen. McCain could learn a lot from the previous discussions on a la carte. If he can explain where an entity like ESPN could continue to operate their suite of channels without their current subscriber count or drastically raising prices should their subscriber count drop. They have to pay for programming somehow. And the smaller channels that would find themselves dropped by a lot of subscribers and not survive.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 734 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

The reason cable/satellite bills keep going up is because the government allowed all of the mergers and there isn't as much competition.  Also, the re-transmission consent law combined with the relaxation of ownership rules of TV stations have played a part as well.  

A la carte will be more expensive for most people.  If each channel cost $5/mo (which it probably would be more), then you would only get 15 channels for the same amount that you are paying for AT250.  

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#13 OFFLINE   Chihuahua

Chihuahua

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

I think al a carte would be a disaster.

#14 OFFLINE   PBowie

PBowie

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

A lot of people have wanted a la carte for ages, however I doubt it would pass, since when has the industry EVER done anything FOR the  consumer who pays for them?

#15 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

Nobody seems to think it would work but maybe we're brainwashed to think this way. How about a solution oriented option.  Offer a choice of 12 channels from a list of the 50 most watched channels.  All locals are included automatically and not part of you list of 12.  ESPN and Fox RSN's are priced at a $10 premium. Your list of 12 channels are priced at $4 each.  Any channels added beyond the base 12 will be at $7 each. I realize this isn't perfect but it's a solid easy to understand starting point.  The folks that do not like sports will love this.  We all know that the odds of anything like this happening are slim to none but if just one lone major provider takes the leap who knows what will happen. I'd bite.

#16 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,654 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

The only way I can see it working for the end user is if the packages and prices were set by a third party; not the providers or distributors.  And we know what the chances of that are.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#17 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,654 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Maybe something along the lines of amusement park ticket packages.

Each channel would be assigned a letter/number value, or maybe even just a dollar rate.

Packages would be offered for $25, $50, $75, etc.

You could pick and choose channels (without regard of who the provider is) based on their assigned value up to your chosen package rate.  You might end up with a few higher rate channels, or a lot of lower rate channels.

Yeah, I know this goes back to the cBand type packages.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

I always like how people want the "freedom" to pick any channel they want, but then want to go ahead and set those individual channel prices at something affordable to them.

To paraphrase Spider-Man's uncle...

With great freedom comes great unaffordability :)

With each channel fighting its own battle, there's no way any of the most popular channels would ever then agree to be in a channel bundle that discounts them... Why would they do that?

Now, with packages, they can agree to a lower per-channel price because they know approximately how many subscribers they are likely to see in that tier year-to-year... IF subscribers have the ability to drop any individual channel month-to-month... then channels will have to go month-to-month as well with their projections and likely charge a higher rate to compensate for those who will drop the channel frequently.

There's just no way that a la carte leads to less-cost-per-channel.  No way at all.

Some people might see a lower bill if they watch less than 5-10 channels ever... but even then, I wager their bill will not be as small as they think it will be.  Everybody else will end up paying the same or more to get the channels they want... and a whole bunch of channels will not be able to stay afloat... and it will be some channels that a lot of people like that go this way.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

Your list of 12 channels are priced at $4 each.

So $48 before the expensive channels? Then $7 for additional channels past the 12? No thank you! I'll stick with the packages. :)
I wouldn't mind seeing my bill reduced ... that price plan would not be a reduction.

The key to a la carte is to get programmers ... those who produce the channels ... to support it. Channels want to be in as many homes as possible. The current way to do that is to be cheap or popular and get a low tier placement. Cheap is not needed if the channel is a "must have" network.

In the perfect (non existent) world of a la carte ESPN would still be $5. Without ~100 million subscribers ESPN could not afford to remain $5 and buy the programming they air. Does anyone really think that ESPN would step back from ~100 million subscribers and see what they could get at a higher price? They are better off being in the lowest tier.

And if some provider says NO, ESPN can simply say "lowest tier or no carriage". A provider without ESPN long term (not just a month or two of negotiations) would lose subscribers. The power is in the hand of the programmer.

So what is next? Government intervention to require ESPN to sell their product a la carte and not require their channel to be in a specified tier? Government price controls to keep ESPN from charging less subscribers more money to break even? Price controls to keep any channel from making "too much" profit? No thanks.

Yes, I'd love to have a lower bill. But a la carte is not the answer.
  • FHSPSU67 likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#20 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

ESPN is ever so profitable.  About 50% of Disney's market value is ascribed to the folks at Bristol.

And they'll never give it up.

Which is why PayTv prices will continue increasing at rates well above inflation.

Which is why Aereo (8 dollars a month w/ cloud-based DVR) will continue to gain traction.

Ironically, one of legal precedents used by Aereo in its litigation was the Cablevision cloud-based DVR, which no one had any objection to at the time.

Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

Protected By... spam firewall...And...