Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Senator McCain Proposing Legislation to Enable A La Carte Subscriptions

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

Daily Dose: Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) is taking his case for a la carte programming to the industry. The senator, who is trying to pass legislation that would require the pay-TV industry to sell channels on an individual basis to consumers, penned an opinion piece on the subject in Thursday's Los Angeles Times. McCain acknowledges he will face a tough battle. "If it were up to my Twitter followers, this bill would already be law. But entrenched interests, including the cable and television programming companies whose bottom lines may be affected by any effort to empower consumers, have made it clear they're girding for a fight."

http://www.latimes.c...0,7286005.story

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

Here is a link to the entire article.  http://www.mccain.se...0b-567d5d1c4a1e  At first I was thinking no way.  Now if they will offer both then I could go for it.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#23 OFFLINE   TheSpider

TheSpider

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

it wont get two far and even if it did maney of us wood have bills that total far more than what it wood be if we just bout it in a package. for me maney of the chanels i wood wont wood be spred all over the place in smallar packages. maby if something coud ever be worked out there.

#24 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

The business model for pay tv channels as it now  stands I would think is a structure where the entire package price is subsidy driven so that a wide variety of viewing interest can be made affordable.I can't imagine anyone not jumping on an a la carte bandwagon but, just my opinion, the economics of such if implemeted would surely fail.I have respect for our elected officials in trying to appease their constituent base with an idea exactly like a la carte, but i dont they understand the resulting collateral damage. In this day and time however, I have seen so many changes occur that were sure to be a failure right out of the starting gate that nothing would surprise me much anymore. I will tell my age by saying I was born in 1955 - I have seen plenty.

Contract disputes that require stations to go dark could be alot more interesting if we were paying by the station.  I for one am against a la carte.  I do not see any advantages to it except for people who want very few stations.  To those I would say, get an antenna and try Hulu.

HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#25 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,030 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

If every channel was a la cart then there's no reason that providers wouldn't carry very channel and no need for disputes. The "disputes" would be people canceling their individual subs because of price increases.

#26 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

If every channel was a la cart then there's no reason that providers wouldn't carry very channel and no need for disputes. The "disputes" would be people canceling their individual subs because of price increases.

So even though there is a set price per channel, you dont think that broadcasters would ever want to raise that wage?  Why on earth would you think that?

Sony KDL-46HX800

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,588 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

And yet Showtime has been pulled from TWC and BrightHouse. :)
There would still be disputes.

As it stands, the "carry one, carry all" laws for locals make a la carte for locals illegal. Satellite and cable cannot offer you your selection of local channels. That is one area where congress has interfered with the free market. Personally I agree with "carry one, carry all" - I don't want to see small OTA channels booted off of satellite for channels carriers could make more money on. We just need a better way to license the content.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,030 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

So even though there is a set price per channel, you dont think that broadcasters would ever want to raise that wage? Why on earth would you think that?

I'd guess in a la cart DIRECTV and others would get their money and Increases by increasing subs and a % of the price that's set by CBS etc since CBS would be available to every provider all providers would offer it at the same price. No one would charge more for all their channels or they'd lose customers immediately.

#29 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

I'd guess in a la cart DIRECTV and others would get their money and Increases by increasing subs and a % of the price that's set by CBS etc since CBS would be available to every provider all providers would offer it at the same price. No one would charge more for all their channels or they'd lose customers immediately.

That is assuming a lot. What makes you think that the other providers would have the same price per channel?  Also what makes you think that their contract dates would be the same?  Someone's would end first and get a rate hike even if what you are saying is true.

Sony KDL-46HX800

spam firewall