Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Screen saver pops up randomly

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

I was just watching NICK HD with my son, and suddenly the sound cutout and the Directv screen saver popped up and was floating from side to side. This was NOT a recording, and it happened randomly & out of the blue.  It's happened a couple of times before, but I never remember if it was a recording or what channel, etc. I usually just walk in on it.

This was the first time I actually witnessed it. Is there some setting for the screen saver so I can disable it?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,718 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

The screen saver can not be disabled.

If you have not done so recently,
Menu,
Settings,
Reset,
Reset Receiver

This helps with many small problems, just like doing a shut down and restart of your PC.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

This is unfortunately a bug of long standing which for some reason DirecTV has been unable to fix....

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door. 

Do you have a SWM set up?  This can often occur if one of the tuners is lacking satellite signal…

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:38 AM

I've been using my HR22 since Sept '08.  I haven't seen the random screen-saver issue occur.  I'd think that if this is a system-wide DTV issue, I'd have seen it at least once during that time.

DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#6 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for all replys!  I have an HR-24 w/ SWM. I don't have any outages due to weather or anything...Just some minor pixelization every so often, but I figured that was normal. The screen saver coming up is a very minor issue and has happened maybe 3 times in the past 6 months.

I thought it had something to do with the energy saving feature, or due to the fact I probably hadn't changed the channel or pressed a button for a few hours. 

I did reset it also, only time will tell if that fixed it.

#7 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,718 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

I have never had it pop up when it was not supposed to.
Having said that I feel certain that as a channel hopper and very very frequently do something with the remote that mine never sits long enough to get it to happen.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

Never thought I had this issue, but NTYMI, when I turn on a mirrored TV, once in a while, infrequently, the screen saver is on.  that would be the only time at this house a receiver would sit long enough for that problem to occur.

I hadn't noticed it, just figure someone in the house had paused something, and then I caught it later, however, when I knock it off of the screen saver, it is not playing a recording, it's live TV (when this occurs).

I have 3 boxes mirrored, not sure if it is just one doing it.  I'll try and pay attention for this issue.

#9 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 813 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

It just happened to me on my HR23-700.

My kids and my wife sleep with the TV on.  I haven't looked in a week or so, but every morning the screen saver would be active on my kids R22-200, HR23-700 and HR21-100.  None of these were caused by pausing TV.  They all had it activated sometime during the night while  live TV was on.  Like others have said, this is a long standing bug that never seems to get fixed.

Edited by Getteau, 10 May 2013 - 02:16 PM.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#10 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

This is definitely a bug but for some reason the mention of it can be testy around here at times. It happens to me, and no amount of rebooting or anything fixes it. It doesn't happen to everyone so some people will fight you over whether or not it actually exists. Wish DirecTV would fix it.

#11 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

It must have something to do with the amount of time that has passed since someone changed the channel or pressed a button. The screen saver coming up randomly seems to be tied to that, which is why it doesn't happen all that often: most people change the channel or press a button atleast once in a few hours.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

It must have something to do with the amount of time that has passed since someone changed the channel or pressed a button. 

But  is not supposed to happen while on live TV.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

I have never had it pop up when it was not supposed to.
Having said that I feel certain that as a channel hopper and very very frequently do something with the remote that mine never sits long enough to get it to happen.

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. I'm constantly changing channels, bringing up the guide, the menu, scoreguide. My remote rarely sits untouched for more than 4 or 5 minutes. Never seen the screen saver pop up.

#14 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 751 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

Never thought I had this issue, but NTYMI, when I turn on a mirrored TV, once in a while, infrequently, the screen saver is on.  that would be the only time at this house a receiver would sit long enough for that problem to occur.

I hadn't noticed it, just figure someone in the house had paused something, and then I caught it later, however, when I knock it off of the screen saver, it is not playing a recording, it's live TV (when this occurs).

I have 3 boxes mirrored, not sure if it is just one doing it.  I'll try and pay attention for this issue.

Hmmm...you maybe onto something here. The screen saver never pops up on my HR20-700 in my family room. It only pops up on the HR20-700 in my office, which is mirrored.

Restarting the DVR where this is occurring has no effect. The screen saver still pops up.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#15 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

I understand that it's not supposed to happen, I'm just pointing out what I think has to do with the problem.

So I guess there's no real fix for this, unless D* has a software change? Are they even aware of the problem?

#16 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Why does everybody says that it could be energy savings feature being enabled? I have it on and don't see the screensaver unless a recording paused or been on for a long time, but it could be model specific.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#17 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

People with these issues should report it in the threads for the firmware they are running, and include what model numbers they are having the issue with, what you were doing when it happened etc.

I have never had it happen to me personally.  I often sleep with the TV on, so there is a lot of times that my DVRs are on and playing live TV or recordings for 4-8 hours at a time without me hitting any buttons on the remote, and I never have the screen saver come on while watching live TV or recordings.  For me it only comes on when I leave something paused, just like it is supposed to.  This is true for both of my HR21s and my HR22.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#18 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:30 AM

It has to do with if you have recorded a program since your last reboot.

You can go for weeks watching live with no Screen Saver, but for some reason, if you record programs on a tuner (or both - for sure 4 of the 5 Genie Tuners recording are needed to force a Screen Saver on live TV) for a period of time (unknown exactly what that period is), something in this sequences forces the screen saver on live tv. 

There is another thread with some more exact details in the DirecTV DVR section.

#19 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

It's my HR20 that does this.  It finally did it while I was watching it mirrored in the kitchen recently and the SS kicked on.  Select on the remote brought back live TV.

(My new DISH 722 does it all the time, but I was aware of that before I got it.)

#20 OFFLINE   runandhide05

runandhide05

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

If your running a mirrored tv off of a hd reciever and the mirrored tv is on and connected via rca, and your watching tv on the none mirrored tv which is connected via hdmi or component and the res is at or above 720p the ss can be triggered because there is a staic on screen message on the mirrored tv stating something like "press and hold exit to enter sd mode...bla bla bla"
This can also happen if you have a AV tuner connected via RCA cables (including yellow video) then a feed from the av unit to a mirrored tv which is off, becaus the av unit is still pulling the video from the hd reciever and therefore the hd reciever sees an active sd connection, therefore "displays" the message about viewing hd via non hd connection.

This can also happen if one of the tuners does not have signal. But that was already mentioned.

... just my opinion. ..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using DBSTalk mobile app

Protected By... spam firewall...And...