Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie Questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

Hey,

We currently have 4 HD DVR's connected to 4 TV's via a SWM8.  We also have HDMI switches attached to two of these DVR's which allows us to redirect the TV signal from one room to an adjacent room/TV.  For example when my wife wants to watch TV in the bathroom she presses the button on the HDMI switch connected to the bedroom DVR and when she wants to switch back to the bedroom TV she presses the HDMI switch button again.

I'm thinking about getting the Genie system and getting rid of our current DVR's.  Could we still use our HDMI switches to redirect the signal to TV's in adjacent rooms as we can now?  Does the gizmo("client"?) that's attached to the TV's in the Genie system allow for an HDMI switch to be attached?

Thanks much in advance.

VR

PS  What does DirecTV charge for the Genie system.....for 4 TV's...... approximately?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,727 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

Can't answer on the switchers, but DirecTV charges the same for the Genie. One per account HD and DVR fee, then the same for each additional TV. That is charged whether it's a Genie client, DVR or receiver.

#3 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

Can't answer on the switchers, but DirecTV charges the same for the Genie. One per account HD and DVR fee, then the same for each additional TV. That is charged whether it's a Genie client, DVR or receiver.

So, if I understand correctly, we would be paying the same amount as we do now........right?

Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

....perhaps someone can post a picture of the connections on the back of a Genie "client" box.......?

Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,727 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

Well, forgot about one fee. Whole Home is required, so if you don't currently have that, there would be an additional $3 fee.

The clients do have HDMI ports but since I've never used a switch on one, I'm not comfortable saying they will work.

Here is the first look of the c31 with pictures.

http://hr20.dbstalk.... First Look.pdf

#6 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

Well, forgot about one fee. Whole Home is required, so if you don't currently have that, there would be an additional $3 fee.

The clients do have HDMI ports but since I've never used a switch on one, I'm not comfortable saying they will work.

Here is the first look of the c31 with pictures.
http://hr20.dbstalk.... First Look.pdf

Wow, that's exactly what I needed to see about the "client" connections, thanks. Yes, you are right about the whole home fee.....don't have it now.....thanks again!

#7 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

Another question comes to mind......the Genie, I think, can record up to 5 programs at the same time......so, if I have the Genie main unit connected to the family room TV where I usually hang out in the evening......and my wife in the master bedroom at the other end of the house.....if I see 3 or 4 programs I want to see for recording and she sees 1 or 2 programs she wants to record.....the system would tell each of us if there is a conflict but we can actually record up to 5 programs at the same time from any of our TV's as long as they are connected to the system via the main Genie unit or through a so-called "Client" unit?

Thanks,

VR

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,276 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

if nobody is watching TV, then yes you can record 5 shows.  if you wife is one one channel on the client and you are watching another channel on the Genie, that will leave you 3 tuners to record 3 other different shows from the one you are currently watching.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

A Genie can handle five live shows/recordings at one time. It can stream a maximum of three shows/recordings to clients at one time.  If a client is watching live TV, then that is using one of the five Genie tuners. If you are recording three programs, then you could only watch two different live shows at the same time (on the Genie itself, or on clients).

You might want to consider  a mix of Genie and HR2x DVR. Maybe get rid of one or two of your current DVRs, replacing them with a Genie and possibly one client. Keep the other two (or three) DVRs. They can be used in conjunction with the Genie, you can watch recordings from any of them on any other (with whole-home), and you have the advantage of additional tuners plus you can keep the recordings you currently have on that/those DVRs.

#10 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

I Have a couple of questions to ask if you don't mind.
1) I currenty have a HR23 in the Living Room, and a H25 in my son's room. I am thinking of upgrading to the Genie, I know I should keep the HR23, but there is NO Room in my son's room to put it.. Where his TV,H25,and DVD are is a very limited space.

My question is, I know there are still growing pains with the genie, is it best to wait until some of those are still worked out, or to take the plunge?.. Of course everyone is waiting to see when the National roll out of the HR44 is going to take place. But speculation is running the gammut from weeks to months.

I am eligable for an upgrade, and I have no qualms about signing up for another 2 years. The alternatives are unaccepteble, so I am not going anywhere.

Everytime I think I have made up my mind one way or another I read posts changing my mind. Some say the Genie still has way too many bugs and glitchs, while others state it is the greatest thing since pre-sliced bread.. I am not lookiong for a diffinitive answer, I am just looking for a consensus.

Thanks..

#11 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

Hey,

We currently have 4 HD DVR's connected to 4 TV's via a SWM8.  We also have HDMI switches attached to two of these DVR's which allows us to redirect the TV signal from one room to an adjacent room/TV.  For example when my wife wants to watch TV in the bathroom she presses the button on the HDMI switch connected to the bedroom DVR and when she wants to switch back to the bedroom TV she presses the HDMI switch button again.

I'm thinking about getting the Genie system and getting rid of our current DVR's.  Could we still use our HDMI switches to redirect the signal to TV's in adjacent rooms as we can now?  Does the gizmo("client"?) that's attached to the TV's in the Genie system allow for an HDMI switch to be attached?

Thanks much in advance.

VR

PS  What does DirecTV charge for the Genie system.....for 4 TV's...... approximately?

I finally upgraded last week.  The CSR was honest with me and told me to keep my receivers rather than replacing them with clients.  The only advantage for me using a client would be programming the Genie from one of the clients.  You can't do that with the HR DVRs.

Net net, I upgraded and how have a SWM 16, 4 older DVRs and 1 Genie.  I was hesitant to make the switch,  but glad that I did.  Net net, my bill went up $8 for the additional receiver that I added.

Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,276 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:51 AM

IMO go for it and keep the HDDVR

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall