Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

thinking of switching to direct

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jesse1684

jesse1684

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

I have brighthouse but i was loundering if it is worth switching

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

Call and see what they offer, new subs can get a good deal. If PQ is inportant Directv is one of the best, they dont overcompress as much as most providers. There DVR is much better than Brighthouse has in our area. My daughters boyfrend has Brighthouse and said there DVR is slower than directv( likes our setup better ) and that thd guide dose not go out as far in days as Directv. Hope this helps.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#3 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 569 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

I used to loathe cable companies DVR's due to the unintuitive nature of them. I had a TiVo for years with Charter because of it. I switched to DirecTV in September of last year and had originally planned on getting the TiVo DVR again. Luckily the installer showed up with the wrong one as the DVR DirecTV provides is very nice and intuitive. It's better than the TiVo I used for years on cable. Like PCambell mentioned, call them. Last I heard they were throwing in NFLST for free again this year. A month or so ago they had that and MLBEI for free. Good luck and I hope you enjoy DirecTV as much as I have since I switched if you decide to.

#4 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

I have brighthouse but i was loundering if it is worth switching

It's only worth what it's worth to you.  Depends on programming you watch and what all features you would like to have.  Are you hoping to have more options than you currently have or are you just looking to try something new?

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#5 OFFLINE   jesse1684

jesse1684

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

More options and better dvr

#6 OFFLINE   rd76

rd76

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

The bottom line is the most important.  Play the game and get your best deal.  Do your homework a search the net for every discount before you call.  My son just signed up for dtv and is less then 30 for the first year, free genie, free nfl, AAA, HD,etc.  I enjoy my 10 too.  As far as the dvr both dish and dtv are great.  If you like football NFL ticket is great..Sling is great on DISH as I use it everywhere....Like I said do your homework and make a list...Read, Read for all your discounts as you only get one chance...Think of every room you might need in the future and do it up front....Think

#7 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

you may wanna check out directv.com and check out the offers they have. weight your options :)

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,366 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

How about the Genie?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   rd76

rd76

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

Genie is no different then any other.  It has 5 tuners but you can build one from a few other DVR's connected with multi room.  It's nothing special.  A hopper is good too.  It all depends on how much you sit on the couch all day.....I'd switch to Dish in a second if the price was lower per month.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

You can't get exactly something like a Genie by using three separate DVRs. You have to manage them separately, since one DVR cannot see the todo list, series manager or history of another. Of course there are other features that are not available on any other DVR DirecTV offers. So I would have to disagree that it's no different.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

Genie is no different then any other.  It has 5 tuners

This is a HUGE difference….

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   jesse1684

jesse1684

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:49 AM

But you can't record from different rooms you have to go where the dvr are is with brighthouse and they charge me alot of money for 2 dvr and they have no full screen hd guide

Edited by jesse1684, 10 May 2013 - 12:50 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:06 AM

On Directv, you can't set a recording on one DVR from another. You can from a receiver, genie client, web or tablet/smartphone app.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

On Directv, you can't set a recording on one DVR from another. You can from a receiver, genie client, web or tablet/smartphone app.

A Genie client can only record to its mothership, the Genie.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

Yeah, I phrased that wrong. Basically meant that you can't set something to record remotely from another room from a DVR, but can from the other types of boxes. Of course the client and RVU have their own limitation, though would be a moot point if it's a one DVR householdl

#16 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

Ceton InfiniTV. 4 cable tuners with beautiful DVR GUI and $2 monthly fee versus $25+ for DirecTV. Add a second one for 8 tuners. Been using that since I dropped satellite and its fantastic. Also saving a lot of money and have all my local subchannels without needing an antenna.

Also realize that Brighthouse is probably the best cable company in the country in terms of content, having far more HD than DirecTV. I think it would be a mistake to give that up, especially since there are simple solutions for a better DVR (Tivo or HTPC). If you want premium sports content, that's a different story. DirecTV is pretty much the only option in that case. If you want to save some money on new customer deals, flipping to DirecTV will make that happen too, at least for the first year or two.

Edited by mdavej, 13 May 2013 - 09:31 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...