Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Warranty void if broken or removed - need advice :)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DaveH28

DaveH28

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

So my 3 year old HR23 took a crap yesterday, stone dead, won't turn on. Obviously I'm thinking its the power supply. I called DTV and they are replacing it no charge other than S&H, sending me a new DVR although they wouldn't tell me exactly which one.

Like I'm sure many others have encountered, I'm pissed that I am losing all of my shows. I'm confident if I open the unit that I can either replace the power supply or swap the HD myself. I am concerned about the warranty seal that when DTV takes the unit back they'll end up charging me for the receiver because I opened it, even though its already dead.

Anyone else had any experiences or success in a case like this? Will the really care if I open it up? They offer me no resolution to try and save my shows, and we all know that they could recover m HD if they wanted to. I need advice :)

Thanks
Dave

Edited by DaveH28, 09 May 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#2 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

I doubt you'd be able to find a replacement for the power supply.  There isn't anything you get off of the hard drive.  The data is encrypted to the RID of that DVR.

IOW, you're probably better off not opening the box.  If someone decides it's dead because you opened it you'd potentially owe a lot of money.

My 2¢ FWIW. 

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,000 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

I'd say that advice is worth many multiples of that. Many, many!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

I'd say that advice is worth many multiples of that. Many, many!

That seal is just for warranty service.  It even says so on the seal!  If a HDD in one of my leased DVR's died I'd open it up and replace it without hesitation.  As for the power supply, I have two R15-300's-one leased and one owned.  If a power supply problem developed I guarantee it will be the leased unit so I can get a replacement for $20 if you know what I mean.   ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

Take the replacement.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

Take the replacement.

+1. RIght on!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

If it still reachable by kids, you know .. they are sometimes very creative in obtaining knowledge from surrounding world's items ... disconnecting cables, inserting play cards into slots, scratching attractive labels, etc :D

#8 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

If things are still as DTV expects them to be inside, then odds are greatly in your favor that they will not want to piss off a loyal customer (you) who sends them a check that they cash every month.

The "seal" is often not even sealed down on models I have had, out of the box. It is also pretty easy to unglue with a hair dryer and an exacto knife, if you really want to go there. I think actually destroying the seal might want to make them question why it is destroyed or missing, but all of that is probably a non-issue as long as the HDD is still intact.

Also, sometimes a "dead" DVR is really just sleeping. As a last resort, unplug power for a few hours, then plug it in, and wait. I once was mentally writing the obituary for a HR20 that appeared to be dead, but about 7 minutes later it rose from the dead like Lazurus. Sort of like a stiff in the morgue sitting bolt upright and scaring the bejeezuz out of the medical examiner.

One thing I have been mulling over is going back to OTA recording when possible, since reportedly those recordings would be portable between DVRs.

Also, if you have a DVR that fails to connect or record, but still plays back, a SD DVDR with a HDD is nice to have, especially if it can do 16:9. And since the source (the DVR you are dubbing from) is pristine HD, the quality is still pretty good when dubbed; just a little loss of resolution, which is better than losing a pivotal episode of a serialized drama you have been recording all season.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall