Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Future for Microsoft Set-Top Box Is Uncertain

Microsoft streaming media box

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,568 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

Future for Microsoft Set-Top Box Is Uncertain

Excerpt:

"As videogame fans await the unveiling of Microsoft Corp.'s next Xbox console, the future of another piece of hardware under development is less clear.  Microsoft has been creating designs for a simple set-top device for streaming video and other entertainment options, people familiar with the matter said.  But it is unclear whether the company will introduce the device. The product's design has gone through several iterations, including recent prototypes that worked with the company's Kinect motion-control technology, the people said. The Kinect, which was introduced in 2010, allows customers to interact with a device by speaking or with gestures."

Full Story Here

What would it have been?  Half an XBox?   :grin:

Edited by Athlon646464, 10 May 2013 - 06:09 AM.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

If it works as a Windows Media Cneter Extender, and is cheap like the Roku/Apple TV, then I might be interested.  I would have been very interested if DirecTV hadn't cancelled their PC tuner card plans.

I'm sure a lot of people looking to cut the cord would be interested in one.  Set up a PC with Windows Media Center, and an OTA tuner card, then put a few little media center extenders all through the house and you'd have a pretty nice system for watching OTA TV recordings all throughout the house (without having to use xBoxes which are huge overkill for most people).

Edited by Beerstalker, 10 May 2013 - 11:23 AM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#3 OFFLINE   anopro

anopro

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

Microsoft missed the boat big time when it canceled Ultimate TV one hell of a of a DVR for it's time. They should have gone to the next level and commissioned hardware mfg's to come out with a set top box cable& direct TV a cable card for pc's and Direct tv card for pc's. And they could have linked it all with smartphones by 2013.

HR20-700
HR21-700

Protected By... spam firewall...And...