Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'Touch' to go, '24' to possibly come back

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

So I guess I won't bother watching this season of 'Touch' which I have piled up on my DVR...

http://insidetv.ew.c...turn/?hpt=hp_t3

• makaiguy likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

I've enjoyed Touch, but it does just kinda lay there as far as shows go .. It's not particularly surprising that it's been chopped. I'll finish it out and be OK with that (heck, it might even already be done and I don't know ... I've just been on the ride).
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

I'm currently 9 episodes behind on Touch. I do enjoy it but it hasn't been a priority. If there isn't a proper conclusion I may not bother with the rest.

#4 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

More 24? Yes please.

#5 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,528 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

More 24? Yes please.

Yes!!!! Funny I was recently feeling nostalgic about 24, after seeing the actor who played Tony Almeida on Castle the other night.

• tsmacro likes this
/steve

#6 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

fox is interested in bringing 24 back as a limited series (12 episodes). they are already talking contract with kiefer. i read that thursday night. go to deadline.com for details.

#7 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

fox is interested in bringing 24 back as a limited series (12 episodes). they are already talking contract with kiefer. i read that thursday night. go to deadline.com for details.

Or just click on the link I provided at the top.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

I use to like 24 but then I found that 24 hours a day was just too long.

#9 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

24 Rocks.

Mad Men Rocks.

What's the crossover appeal?

Only Netflix and its Big Data operation knows for sure.

Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#10 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,965 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

Let's go 24!

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#11 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,965 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

In 12 episodes it's even better to not drag on the day. Would be perfect.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#12 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,965 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

Bring back Alcatraz as well. I want to know how the story ended ... :)

#13 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

If there's only 12 episodes, shouldn't it be called '12'?

#14 OFFLINE   cdc101

cdc101

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

If there's only 12 episodes, shouldn't it be called '12'?

Hopefully they'll be 2 hour episodes!  lol

Edited by cdc101, 10 May 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

I would be happy to see 24 again, but it would have to have grown up a little. We have all changed since 911, and so should 24. If they take a fresh approach to terrorism, it could be compelling, yet if we were to watch eps from 2005 or so, they would probably seem pretty stale and cliched. I think the fact that 24 never did well in syndication has a lot to do with how quickly attitudes changed which gave it a short shelf life (the "Cosby Show" syndrome). So it has to change with how the world has changed and how our perceptions of terrorism have changed. In particular? Well, off the top, how about domestic drones, and a more moralistic view of the dilemma of torture? I think the possibilities are pretty ripe.

But these are the same guys who, with Homeland, proved that their talent was not just a fluke. 24 was great because they were great, as is Homeland, and this means that they could certainly pull this off again, especially if they get Sean Callery to do the music again; I felt the production music was an integral part to why 24 was as good as it was, and I felt the same about Homeland. Oddly, his contributions on Elementary don't seem to be that important, but then that show stands as a great show on its own for other reasons (and thriller/suspense is not really a part of that show, which is Callery's strength).

So really, what would make this work is to throw out everything except Kiefer, Sean Callery, and the producers of both Homeland and 24, and maybe bring back an old nemesis or two. They would need to divest themselves of all other artifacts of 24 so that they could start with a fresh slate with no encumberances. That is not easy; think of the baggage of trying to resurrect a show like Star Trek, or Seinfeld, or any other show with a great legacy and probable expectations. They need to free themselves from all of that sort of baggage and just go for it regardless of the legacy or expectations, and if they do,  I think it could be really great, and I hope we get to see it happen.

Maybe if they brought back Kim and her pet cougar....Nope, bad idea.

Edited by TomCat, 10 May 2013 - 08:03 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#16 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

I have been catching up on some 24 reruns of late.

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#17 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:46 PM

Loco, do you agree that it now seems a little dated? I saw a couple eps on Audience and that is how it struck me

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

In my imagination... I always imagined that Alcatraz took place in the Fringe universe... and was just one long Fringe event that went unsolved :)

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#19 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

fox confirms monday morning that 24: live another day will return may 2014 as a 12 episode limited series. kiefer sutherland has been signed.

• altidude likes this

#20 OFFLINE   dogs31

dogs31

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

It is about time.  Jack Bauer's been out of work for four years and his retirement is coming to an end.  His autobiography didn't go over well with 20th Century Fox. :coffee

If you wake up the next morning, it is because Jack B. saved you.

spam firewall