Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'Touch' to go, '24' to possibly come back

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,269 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

Perhaps a 12 hour 24 will allow Jack to move around a little more without accounting for every minute. I remember when the series ended Keifer was looking forward to a movie where he could get on a plane and fly somewhere without filling that hour with drama.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

James, that is exactly what I am talking about. They need to free themselves from the shackles of what is expected from 24. If ever there was a high-concept formula for a show, this was it. And talk about narrow confines. I can't think of a show that had more things forcing it onto the narrowest of paths. Throw out the formula, and start from scratch.

We know who Jack is, but we don't need to see him save the world every minute and it doesn't have to be edge of seat from straight up to straight up. How about some dynamic range in the performances, some nuances of tone in the drama? Let Jack be human and make mistakes. Let there be a cost for that. Since you have lulled us into a sense of who Jack is, why not pull a head fake and show us that he has been a different person all along? The best shocker would be that Jack is a master-mind terrorist working NOT for the US, but for China (he was brain-washed there for a year or two by them). Rock our Jack Bauer world.

Back to nuance, 24 in the 2000's was like a heavy metal song that beat you over the head for every single note. No dynamics. No changes of tone. It was edge-of-seat thrilling for a solid 60 minutes. While they did that very artfully and entertainingly, when you play every note at full volume, guess what happens? The audience gets used to every note being at full volume, and eventually becomes bored with that predictability. Really loud heavy metal music is predictable and boring, because you always know that what comes next is another 8 bars of really loud music, probably the same 2 chords a fifth apart and in probably the same 4/4 pattern. While not Heavy Metal, how many times does The Who smashing their guitars to bits actually work? Exactly once. Once it happens twice, it is no longer spontaneous, but prepared theatre. And boring.

Surprise us. Shock us. Unpredictability is entertaining, which is probably why I am drawn to bat-$#!+ crazy women. But Howard Gordon and crew are smart enough to know what from 24 will work today, and what needs to be freshened up, so I am eagerly on board.

Incidentally, I was working at a FOX station when 24 first aired. The GM was a bit of a doofus at the time; he actually called up the Director of Engineering during the broadcast because the clock on 24 did not match the actual time. Yes, he actually took it that literally.

Edited by TomCat, 13 May 2013 - 08:09 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#23 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 904 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

I love 24 and the real-time aspect was a big point. I don't see how it could be the same without real-time or 24 hours elapsing.

#24 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,550 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

From The Hollywood Reporter  It's Official: '24' Returning to Fox as Event Series:

...The continuation of the series -- which spanned 192 episodes and a TV movie from 2001-10 -- will be produced by its former showrunner, Howard Gordon (Homeland). Like the original series, the reboot, dubbed 24: Live Another Day, hails from 20th Television and Imagine TV's Brian Grazer with Gordon's banner Teakwood Lane on board to co-produce. Fox will bow the limited project -- which will tell a 24-hour story over 12 episodes that jump hours -- in May 2014.

"24 compressed over 12 weeks, Jack is back," Fox entertainment chairman Kevin Reilly told reporters early Monday during a conference call ahead of the network's upfront presentation. The executive noted 24 will likely mark Fox's first limited run series with the potential for additional closed-ended stories in the franchise....

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,269 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

I love 24 and the real-time aspect was a big point. I don't see how it could be the same without real-time or 24 hours elapsing.

It won't be the same ... and it may be better. I believe the TV movie that preceded season 7 made season 7 better. It provided a back story and time for situations to develop that were handled in season 7. Trying to show every minute (except commercials) of Jack's life is restricting. And unrealistic. Everything seemed to happen at the speed of light on 24 ... perhaps they will have an easier time developing a story.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#26 OFFLINE   whorne

whorne

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

I love 24! This is great news!

#27 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire