Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SmartPhones & 'senior' plans

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:28 AM

After a day on Verizon I'm finding myself wondering why I didn't do this quite awhile back.  Call quality in my area is much better on Verizon than it is on T-Mobile, and the data service is miles better.  TMo is 2G here, Verizon and AT&T are 4G/LTE.  Sprint is 3G.  After talking to some friends that have different services around here, the bottom line is that if you want the best coverage for voice/text, it is Verizon and Alltel and data is better on Verizon since Alltel is EDVO(?).

With my calling patterns and useage, the Senior Plans that both Verizon and AT&T have are fine with me.  Those I talked to that had AT&T said that the service with them was a bit spotty and more narrowly around the major highways where Verizon is really strong nearly everywhere.  I live in the boonies so that is a concern.

I was very surprised at the FaceTime performance.  I played around with it and tried my daughter.  I didn't even know she had an iPhone as the subject never came up.  I called and she answered and the quality was great on the picture and sound.  I tried it both with wifi and using the 4G/LTE and the difference wasn't much at all and I'm on 6M/.5M DSL service!  A question.  If I'm on wifi at home and call via Facetime, does it use my cell for the voice and wifi for data or wifi for both??

LLoyd

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

If on WiFi, it's all over WiFi. It's a video conferencing session.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

DirecTV HD Channel Listing - 2011 DBSTalk HD Poll - 2010 DBSTalk HD Poll - Satellite & National HD Alerts

#23 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

Thanks Sixto.

I did find that on at least some iPhones, that it will also work with my cellular data if I'm away from the wifi.

Lloyd

#24 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

Well, after all the faunching around, and reading here (thanks for the replies!), I just went to the local Verizon store a couple blocks away and got the iPhone 5 and the Senior plan.

200 anytime minutes

500 night/weekend

3Gb DATA

unlimited mobile-to-mobile.

$59.99 a month.

Of course, I had to take a printout of the deal so they would admit to it existing!   :)

Now to clean up the contact list.  Mine with Apple goes back over 10 years and is loaded with crap!

Att has the same exact offer, and you don't need to bring a copy of the offer to get it setup and a corporate store - just set my Father-in-law up on it a few months ago, he even got a nice iphone for 99 cents

In this area ATT coverage is vastly superior to sprint or Verizon's

Edited by wingrider01, 11 May 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

Here the best coverage is Verizon & Alltel.  AT&T is a bit behind around here especially if you get away from the main highways.  Not horrible mind you, just not as good.

I could have gotten the iPhone 4 for 99 cents, but after looking and thinking about the differences, I wanted the iPhone 5 because it is the only one that does 4G/LTE.

Lloyd

#26 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

Here the best coverage is Verizon & Alltel.  AT&T is a bit behind around here especially if you get away from the main highways.  Not horrible mind you, just not as good.

I could have gotten the iPhone 4 for 99 cents, but after looking and thinking about the differences, I wanted the iPhone 5 because it is the only one that does 4G/LTE.

Since I don't use data on the Iphone for anything but corporate business speed does not matter, which by the way is a corporate policy of mine. As far as coverage, phones are issued to employees depending on where they are located and which service has the best coverage.

As far as personal, again same policy, email is the primary use, have not need of streaming music, video or updated a socials site every time I or someone around me takes a breath. functionally outside of tiered data connection there is no required functionality between the 5 and the 4/4s so no need to spend the money for the latest tech toy

#27 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

I can understand your position and use.  And frankly, I don't need 4G, 3G would have been good enough.  Most of my use for the data is with the golf gps software and other gps useage.  I have most other things set to 'manual' if I need to get something from the 'net.  My email on the phone isn't of much value since I seldom am interested in reading it on the go and I have no 'business' needs since I'm retired.

I'm learning to love Facetime, but I know I'll have to be careful with it when I'm outside of the house as it can eat data pretty fast.

The iPhone 5's slightly bigger screen is a plus to me and it was size of screen that made me seriously consider a Windows phone.  Android is a non-starter for me, my previous phone had it and I never really liked it much.  Unfortunately the bigger screens are mostly Android.  :(

Lloyd

#28 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

I'm learning to love Facetime, but I know I'll have to be careful with it when I'm outside of the house as it can eat data pretty fast.

Gizmodo estimates Facetime uses about 3MB/minute, so really not that bad. If they're right, looks like 100 minutes of Facetime would only be 10% of your monthly data cap. Not sure what your daughter's data cap is, however, or if she's on WiFi when you call her.

/steve

#29 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

Not as bad as I had thought.

Generally I would use it with wifi here.  She's on some 'unlimited' grandfathered plan, so not an issue for her either.  Both my sisters are on some unlimited plan also and have iPhones.  One's with ATT, the other's with Sprint.

Lloyd

#30 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,932 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

I don't know why I didn't mention this before, but one thing to keep in mind, the new iPhones will likely be announced next month. Not necessarily anything big (I'm thinking minor increment over the 5), but always something I make sure my users know. Some may not care about new models or price drops on the previous one) but it hopefully covers me so that they're not upset they are locked into a phone for two years that was just replaced :)

#31 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Gizmodo estimates Facetime uses about 3MB/minute, so really not that bad. If they're right, looks like 100 minutes of Facetime would only be 10% of your monthly data cap. Not sure what your daughter's data cap is, however, or if she's on WiFi when you call her.

wasn't that done on a jail broken phone? have not see a retest on the version of facetime that works on a unmodified version of the IOS

#32 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

wasn't that done on a jail broken phone? have not see a retest on the version of facetime that works on a unmodified version of the IOS

I think at the time Gizmodo measured data usage, back in August, 2010, Facetime was wifi-only, so  jailbreaking was the only way you could test it over cellular.

Looks pretty easy to check what Facetime currently consumes. Like Gizmodo, you can do a "before" and "after" reading on the "Cellular Network Data" info screen, and divide it by the actual Facetime session time.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0287.PNG

/steve

#33 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

I think at the time Gizmodo measured data usage, back in August, 2010, Facetime was wifi-only, so  jailbreaking was the only way you could test it over cellular.

Looks pretty easy to check what Facetime currently consumes. Like Gizmodo, you can do a "before" and "after" reading on the "Cellular Network Data" info screen, and divide it by the actual Facetime session time.

interesting for such a limited usage app, we utilize Cisco Jabber, it works across all platforms not just one specific brand

#34 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

I have had Verizon for almost 10 years now.  We had to switch when we moved to the boonies as well.  It was the only service that worked at our house.

I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan and upgraded to the Galaxy SIII last December, and was going to lose my unlimited plan.  One of my sons decided to get the new iPhone at the same time, and in order to get it free, he set up his own Verizon account with a new phone number and everything.  So I had to call customer service and give permission plus get him removed from our family plan.  I got the nicest woman on the phone who worked for over 30 minutes and came up with a back door way to keep me on the grandfathered data plan.  She also changed our plan type and saved us more money.

That was the best customer service I have ever had.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

spam firewall