Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Time to replace external drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gimp

gimp

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

When my hd34 froze and I rebooted I got got a scanning disk screen. Never seen this before. Rebooted successfully and is functioning normally. Is it time to replace my 2tb esata? It's probably at least three years old.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

You should consider it, yes.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,196 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

When my hd34 froze and I rebooted I got got a scanning disk screen. Never seen this before. Rebooted successfully and is functioning normally. Is it time to replace my 2tb esata? It's probably at least three years old.

You might want to try a new external device before giving up on the hard drive.  The external devices are usually at fault when you get freeze ups.  You might also want to try the 34 on the internal drive and see if the same thing happens.  If it does, there's something wrong with the 34.  

What external device are you using?

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   gimp

gimp

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

You might want to try a new external device before giving up on the hard drive.  The external devices are usually at fault when you get freeze ups.  You might also want to try the 34 on the internal drive and see if the same thing happens.  If it does, there's something wrong with the 34.  

What external device are you using?

Rich

5+ year old Antec MX-1. Any replacement suggestions that accommodate 4tb?

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,196 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

5+ year old Antec MX-1. Any replacement suggestions that accommodate 4tb?

I'd think the MX-1 would be the problem.  Try putting the HDD in this.

I don't know if a TT dock (link above) will work with a 4TB drive.  RunnerFl is using around that capacity, but I think he's still using RAID external devices.

I know TT is coming out with docks that will run larger HDDs, but I'd be interested to know if the dock linked to above will support a 4TB drive.  When the MX-1s came out, I think they were only rated for 1TB, but they handle 2TB drives well, as you know.  

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

I'd think the MX-1 would be the problem.  Try putting the HDD in this.

I don't know if a TT dock (link above) will work with a 4TB drive.  RunnerFl is using around that capacity, but I think he's still using RAID external devices.

I know TT is coming out with docks that will run larger HDDs, but I'd be interested to know if the dock linked to above will support a 4TB drive.  When the MX-1s came out, I think they were only rated for 1TB, but they handle 2TB drives well, as you know.  

Rich

The TT Docks I have work with a 3TB drive but I haven't tested them with a 4TB drive. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall