Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie help!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

two things about the Genie since I got it this week.  others that have it,  has anyone figured out how to stop FF or Rew and go back a little.  I for the life of me cannot even come close to the show after I FF coming from a commercial.  by time a show returns from commercial, it still shoots forward like 10 seconds.

also,  I noticed that when I had a program on TV and then watched a recorded show, when I came back, the tuner didn't record what was on.  this has never happened with any other receiver I have had.  For example,  I just had Bulls-Heat basketball on and watched a recorded show. Thinking when show was over I would go back and see what happened in the game.  came back to live TV and it only picked up after I came back from recorded show.   why does it do that?  it has 5 tuners.  I would think one would be buffering the current programming.

thanks for your help

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:00 PM

I'm not sure about the FF issue since I use 30 Second Skip but the loss of buffer while watching a recording is a known issue.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

The Genie does have some kinks that aren't ironed out yet. You may want to try to check the current software version.

#4 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:11 AM

Both of the things you report are known issues.

#5 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

Ditto. And, like RunnerFL I also use 30 second skip although there is no 30 second skip for rewinding. When I had Time Warner you could FF through commercials and when the show started again you would hit stop and it would back up to the end of the last commercial. So it's not exactly rocket science.

#6 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

just frustrating that this thing has been out for this long and still has issues.  those are very basic things that are annoying to users.  I had 8 tuners before and thought a genie would be an upgrade.  not sure about that yet.

thanks for the responses though.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,589 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

IMO, the FF issue is  bug, but I think the "buffer" issue might be by design.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

I also have noticed that when watching live TV, when i pause, i can not watch what was paused.  i can only go all the way to live tv.  cant rewind or anything.  the only way to watch it is to hit record and go to recordings and watch it there. 

this thing has way too many issues.  not happy with the upgrade so far. 

spam firewall