Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC whacks 4 comedies

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:06 AM

Say goodbye to "Whitney", "Guys With Kids", "Up All Night" and "1600 Penn".

http://www.cnn.com/2...html?hpt=hp_bn9

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,646 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

Gonna miss Whitney. Never got into the other three, or Community, which I understand is coming back. I guess Parks and Rec is the only NBC comedy I know I'll be watching next year.

/steve

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

Make that 6 comedies.  Both "Go On" and "The New Normal" got the axe too.

http://thefutoncriti...l-984110/10362/

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,646 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

Make that 6 comedies.  Both "Go On" and "The New Normal" got the axe too.

http://thefutoncriti...l-984110/10362/

Forgot about Go On. We watch and really like that one too! Bummer.

/steve

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,331 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:15 AM

I'm a little surprised at Up All Night, that it took this long for them to make it official.

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

I'm a little surprised at Up All Night, that it took this long for them to make it official.

Yeah, it was pretty much done months ago when Christina Applegate announced she was leaving.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Seems that the few regular shows that I watch on NBC (other than L&O:SVU), NBC decides to cancel.  The only one that I watch that got the ax this time was "Go On".  I can't believe all of the crap on TV that actually stays on the air.. i.e., all of these reality TV shows.

Edited by n3ntj, 11 May 2013 - 03:55 PM.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,331 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

Reality shows are cheap and people watch them. When actors make 100-300k an episode, that gets expensive.

#9 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:21 PM

To fit the definition of "comedy" there has to be something funny about it, which means they whacked one comedy (Whitney) and three wannabe comedies.

I thought Whitney was one of the funnier comedies out there, from anyone. It was a little old-fashioned as it fit maybe too comfortably into that 3-camera format.  But the writing was strong, the cast was strong, and the supporting cast was about as good as it gets. I think the cast member with the least appeal or narrowest appeal was Chris D'elia, who might have been miscast, but I personally thought he was fine (many disagreed). D'elia has been recast in another pickup, so not everyone thinks he was the weak link. His standup act is a real borefest, however.

I also thought it took on modern problems facing 30-somethings pretty realistically. But maybe it never really jelled all that well. I am sad about losing Vegas and Golden Boy, but I think Whitney got the rawest deal. The brain trust at NBC has been making exceptionally terrible decisions since Warren Littlefield was let go, and this ranks right up there; I thought Whitney held more potential than any other show they kept. The rest? I still shake my head wondering how they even got green-lighted in the first place.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:38 AM

Also pissed they killed "Whitney". The friends were pretty weak but Alex and her were terrific to watch banter and battle. But frankly, where o where is the new "Seinfeld" or "Friends"?? Why can't these nets find actual funny people like Larry David to create comedy greatness?? (can't wait for a new season of "Curb"--funniest show EVER).

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

Whitney was the least funny of all 6 shows that got the axe, The New Normal was second.  The other shows were pretty funny.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

I really liked Guys With Kids because I have a lot of good friends who are new Dads going through the same stuff. It's no Seinfeld, but it's a good relaxation comedy.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,110 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

I watched Whitney and Go On. Whitney changed enough for the second season that I'm willing to let it go ... it seemed to be a show that didn't find its footing in the first season - was modified by swapping out a character. It was almost like they went from the setup for Friends (three couples) to a bar centric group of friends (Cheers).

I liked Go On ,,, but it was probably due to the close to home feelings that were portrayed by those who lost a spouse. It was not a drama so they touched lightly but there seemed to be an understanding of what what Ryan's life without Janie would be like - what to do with the ring, feeling guilty when dating the next woman, the empty home, friends not quite understanding but trying to help. Not exactly elements that made it a laugh a minute pie in the face comedy ... and perhaps that was the problem.

I also watched Up All Night but that show self destructed so I don't mind seeing it gone.

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#14 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,155 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

Seems that the few regular shows that I watch on NBC (other than L&O:SVU), NBC decides to cancel.  The only one that I watch that got the ax this time was "Go On".  I can't believe all of the crap on TV that actually stays on the air.. i.e., all of these reality TV shows.

I hardly watch the big four anymore. 

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#15 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

When I saw the promos for 1600 Penn, I couldn't believe that a show like that was going to air. Even on NBC.

It looked like some lame attempt to create a white Urkel on ABC TGIF circa 1991.

#16 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 564 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

Whitney was the least funny of all 6 shows that got the axe, The New Normal was second.  The other shows were pretty funny.

This is pretty much how I feel.  The only one I watched anymore was Go On.  I thought it was actually a pretty good show.

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

#17 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

I was bummed they dropped The New Normal, I think with time that was a story that could be interesting it wasn't just a comedy but also the changing family dynamic in many parts of the country..  Would have fit better with their Thursday night line up I felt.  I did watch Go On but couldn't really get into it, I won't miss it but enjoyed watching it.  As for 1600 Penn, the older son ruined the show.  If he wasn't in the show being so outlandishly dumb I think the other story lines could work.  The smart first-daughter who was pregnant, the 2nd marriage husband trying to please everyone etc.

#18 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

I'm so tired of so-called comedy shows like The New Normal and others that package fringe stereotypes like gays and mixed marriages and lesbians etc, and throw them at you like commodities they think are inherently funny so you have to laugh even if nothing funny is being said. A very self-conscious play: "See how liberal we are shoving all these edgy folks with their edgy behavior down your throats?" It's become a trope, a tired litany of unfunny, forced characters in lieu of actually funny situations and characters.

That's why I liked "Don't Trust the Bitch", it was fresh and irreverent and you never knew what was coming next. It took chances without stereotypes. It was not aimed squarely at the lowest common denominator of the viewing public like most of this moronic network fare.

Edited by Maruuk, 13 May 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

I hardly watch the big four anymore. 

+1 especially when it comes to NBC (Of the BIG 4, NBC has been my least viewed network for at least 5 years (probably longer) now)

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

Protected By... spam firewall...And...