Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question about upcoming upgrades....

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   axl

axl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

Well after an hour and a half on the phone yesterday I took a huge plunge with Directv and tomorrow they will be out here to install a genie upgrade as well as the whole home DVR equipment. What should I expect out of all this? Right now I have an HR20 that still has the 2 line set up on it and also a regular HD box. the regular HD is going back to D* and the HD DVR is moving where the hd box was. Not sure how I managed to accomplish but all this stuff they are doing is not costing me a dime. Just the standard 2 year agreement. Can someone enlighten me a little as to what equipment I should expect to see and what I should expect during the installation? thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts
  • LocationDALLAS TX

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

Hi There

you are doing what I did.  When the Tech shows up he will replace your existing dish with a SWM and LNB.

He will install an HR34 DVR. Then using existing coax he will tie it all together and you will have 7 tuners and a very good system.

ENJOY

#3 OFFLINE   axl

axl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

I've got a slim line dish with 3 lnb on it now that's on the roof....

#4 OFFLINE   snowden2876

snowden2876

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts
  • Locationoklahoma

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

You will like the new system. ..plus keeping you recorded stuff you already have. . Did u get a deal on the sunday ticket as well??

#5 OFFLINE   axl

axl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

No they didn't give me a deal on that. It was hard enough to get the genie and whome home dvr at first they said they weren't giving me the genie even they said two days ago they would. Then they said I had to pay 199 for the whole home dvr. I told them I wasn't going to pay that for it. and I guess lucky enough for me I didn't have a contract either so it didn't matter I could leave if I wanted to. which I wasn't planning on doing anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,278 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

Perhaps you can sweet talk your installer with a "thank you" note to replace that aging HR20 with a shinny new HR24

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,496 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

They'll still replace your LNB with a SWM LNB. Is your hr20 a -100 or -700?

#8 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

When I upgraded I already had a Slimline 5 on the roof.
The tech said I did not need the 5 and he did not like the tall mount it was on and he said it was too far from the house ground.
He left it up and installed a whole new Slimline SWM LNB dish.
He did an excellent job of it.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

The tech said I did not need the 5 and he did not like the tall mount

A word of caution on the newer "short" stubby mounts.  If the dish is facing towards the incline of the roof and you live in a snow prone place, it is recommended to use the standard "longer" mast 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   axl

axl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Well as figured MASTEC claims I have a LOS issue and is refusing to do any work. Phone calls back to DirecTV have yielded escalations and what not. And supposedly someone is supposed to be back out here by 5:15 today. Way to go MASTEC. If they determine it's LOS that's ridiculous considering I've had the HD service for 6 years now and never had a problem. Either way in conversation with the DirecTV rep she agreed with and said that if they can't complete any of the work then the contract that I am currently in is void and I can cancel as well as any other contract would be void because the best that DirecTV can understand at this point in time I shouldn't have a working system anyway. It revolves around where my dish is placed and that MASTEC claims it shouldn't be there even though they were the ones that installed it there 6 years ago. And they claim that they can't move it because then there is a LOS issue!

#11 OFFLINE   axl

axl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Why on earth does D* continue to use MASTEC. They are quire possibly the spawn of the devil. Sure wish someone had a great answer for that! Long time D* customer 10+ yet about to close the account due to the inability of MASTEC to do their job.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Many things could of have happened in 6 years, like vegetation growth , etc.  the tech must be able to get pristine signal quality in order to activate the receivers due to a "newer" software in the receivers that checks for this.

how are your signals readings now?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   axl

axl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

The tree that is there is 50 feet tall it hasn't changed in the time. I have a great signal now. I have no lost channels nothing. If you ask me a specific transponder or whateve rI can give you that information. The tech claims the receiver will not pass test when it is done. However DirecTV wants the work done anyway.

#14 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

Why on earth does D* continue to use MASTEC. They are quire possibly the spawn of the devil. Sure wish someone had a great answer for that! Long time D* customer 10+ yet about to close the account due to the inability of MASTEC to do their job.

Mastec hasn't filed for bankruptcy like a lot of the others.

Last year OHSA started fining Mastec and others if their Techs got off their ladders without fall protection. There are certain requirements before fall protection can be used.

HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

However DirecTV wants the work done anyway.

DirecTV shot themselves in the foot with some customers when they introduced the Installation Verification protocol couple of years ago.  Look at your 101 signal, are any transponders below 95? (excluding spot beams) and look at your 103ca and 103cb and 99c, are any of the transponders below 90? and if you have the 119, there should be no transponder below 95 (excluding spot beams).  if you answered yes to any of these questions, you dish must be either not aligned correctly or there is something blocking LOS to the satellites.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

DirecTV shot themselves in the foot with some customers when they introduced the Installation Verification protocol couple of years ago.  Look at your 101 signal, are any transponders below 95? (excluding spot beams) and look at your 103ca and 103cb and 99c, are any of the transponders below 90? and if you have the 119, there should be no transponder below 95 (excluding spot beams).  if you answered yes to any of these questions, you dish must be either not aligned correctly or there is something blocking LOS to the satellites.

Not sure where they live but those signals you are giving are not the same for every region. Some have lower thresholds for IV (installation verification).

Edited by west99999, 12 May 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   axl

axl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

My signals are all in the 90s range except for on the CA and CB transponders and those are the reason MASTEC won't do the work. In adition to the fact that they don't want to use the fall protection support to use the dish that they installed.the CA and CB transponders are at 60-70 something. I may add too that I never lose signal and never have problems. So very frustrating.

Edited by axl, 13 May 2013 - 05:27 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   axl

axl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

Well I guess it's obvious now that the first guy didn't want to do his job. One supervisor and a tech came out this morning and did everything without an issue and now I'm good to go.....Strange how the same company with different people react and handle things differently. Only difference was these guys today were subcontractor's to MASTEC. they got the job done!

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

Not sure where they live but those signals you are giving are not the same for every region. Some have lower thresholds for IV (installation verification).

Right, I was generally speaking.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

Well I guess it's obvious now that the first guy didn't want to do his job. One supervisor and a tech came out this morning and did everything without an issue and now I'm good to go.....Strange how the same company with different people react and handle things differently. Only difference was these guys today were subcontractor's to MASTEC. they got the job done!

You will find with all companies that the expertise and attitude of the employees will vary from employee to employee.
I had one sub that I told to leave my property and do not come back. I am no expert and I could see he clearly did not know what he was doing and making a mess of the install. The next person said it was so bad that he called for his supervisor to come and take pictures of what the first guy had done before he started to correcting it. This guy did an excellent job.

Glad it is all fixed for you now.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...