Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question about upcoming upgrades....

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   axl

axl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

I'm happy it's all fixed now. I didn't realize until they were done that the genie no longer had an optical connection on it. My receiver doesn't support HDMI so I had been running the HDMI to the TV with the optical output on my previous HR24-700. Is there anyway to get the suround sound back without replacing the receiver? Some sort of adapter or converter that would solve this problem?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

What did today's crew do differently than the previous guy? Did they install a new dish or did they go off the ladder to work on your current dish?

#23 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

I'm happy it's all fixed now. I didn't realize until they were done that the genie no longer had an optical connection on it. My receiver doesn't support HDMI so I had been running the HDMI to the TV with the optical output on my previous HR24-700. Is there anyway to get the suround sound back without replacing the receiver? Some sort of adapter or converter that would solve this problem?

Check this out and see if it is what you are looking for.

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

Edit: A lot of the older receivers that do not have HDMI have both the optical and digital coax connections. I have that on my Yamaha. I have the DVD hooked up with the digital coax and it works just as good as the optical connection. I tried both on the DTV receiver just to compare.
Look to see if you have a digital connection on the AV Surround sound receiver.

Edited by jimmie57, 14 May 2013 - 07:04 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#24 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,589 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

Check this out and see if it is what you are looking for.

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

^^^^^yep, that works^^^^^

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#25 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

I hate to see when technicians don't want to do jobs based on what day it is.  Some people want to be with their families, but your job is your job.  If you don't like MASTEC, try dealing with Multiband!

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#26 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

Sounds like the first installer didn't do the work because the location of the dish required fall protection. Fall protection brings a whole set of other requirements including 1-2 additional trained and qualified personnel onsite when someone is working on the roof.

#27 OFFLINE   jasonp197722

jasonp197722

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

another option for the optical is to feed it from the optical output of your tv if it so equiped

#28 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,479 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:09 AM

I hate to see when technicians don't want to do jobs based on what day it is.  Some people want to be with their families, but your job is your job.  If you don't like MASTEC, try dealing with Multiband!

I've certainly had my share of incompetent installers. I've had to walk them through what they needed to do when DirecTV insisted I needed an Installer to do something.

#29 OFFLINE   Tisby

Tisby

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:54 AM

What did today's crew do differently than the previous guy? Did they install a new dish or did they go off the ladder to work on your current dish?

Very curious about the answer to these questions...

#30 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

another option for the optical is to feed it from the optical output of your tv if it so equiped

This is NOT accurate.  the TV's optical output (on most TVs) are made to pass DD5.1 from the built in OTA tuner. Most TVs would not pass DD5.1 from another source to its optical output.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#31 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

WOOWW, there is something worse than MASTEC, I did not know such thing existed.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#32 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

This is NOT accurate.  the TV's optical output (on most TVs) are made to pass DD5.1 from the built in OTA tuner. Most TVs would not pass DD5.1 from another source to its optical output.

Do you happen to know whether Directv receivers pass 5.1 from OTA channels received by the H20's internal tuner and/or the AM21 on newer receivers?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#33 OFFLINE   axl

axl

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

Sorry I have been watching and messing with this new genie. I ended up using the coaxial digital output on the genie to my receiver and that fixed the problem without needing a converter or something. Works great and brought the DD back. Also as far as what was different between the two crews that came out is that the second crew decided to get off the ladder and reallign the dish just a little bit and install the SWiM stuff. They were a sub-contractor to MASTEC as well. I'm not sure what all is involved with fall protection equipment but the original guy didn't wanna do it.

#34 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for the update.
Glad it is all working for you now.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#35 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,479 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Multiband, home of the three service calls to get a DECA cloud connected to the Internet, where the router was conveniently on the entertainment center where everything came in.

#36 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

Had a multiband tech on site telling me the H21 would not work with whole home.  I told him it would and he said there was nowhere to connect the DECA... I let him know the DECA goes in line with the coax.  He said he meant there was nowhere to connect the ethernet cable.  He was holding the receiver so I told him to look at the back of it.  He said, "Ohh I see it." and then he promptly hung up the phone.  Award winning!

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#37 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Had a multiband tech on site telling me the H21 would not work with whole home. I told him it would and he said there was nowhere to connect the DECA... I let him know the DECA goes in line with the coax. He said he meant there was nowhere to connect the ethernet cable. He was holding the receiver so I told him to look at the back of it. He said, "Ohh I see it." and then he promptly hung up the phone. Award winning!

i probally would have told him to contact his HSP for tech help lol

Edited by Volatility, 14 May 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

Also as far as what was different between the two crews that came out is that the second crew decided to get off the ladder and realign the dish just a little bit and install the SWiM stuff. They were a sub-contractor to MASTEC as well. I'm not sure what all is involved with fall protection equipment but the original guy didn't wanna do it.

Glad you got the upgrade completed and you're enjoying your new Genie.

So your dish is still located where any future service calls (realign the dish, replace dish/LNB) requires the workers to get on the roof. 

Just keep that in mind as not all installers are qualified or are willing to ignore OSHA requirements and may cause you similar scheduling problems in the future.

From OSHA's press release dated 5/2/2013:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited Longwood-based Collis Roofing Inc. with three willful and one serious safety violation for exposing workers to fall and other hazards while they were performing roofing work at three residential sites in Jacksonville, Oviedo and Palm Harbor. Two inspections were initiated in November 2012 and a third in December 2012 after OSHA inspectors observed employees without fall protection. These inspections were all part of the agency's local emphasis program on fall hazards in construction. Proposed penalties total $213,300.

Three willful violations, with $210,000 in penalties, involve the employer allowing employees to work on elevated surfaces without fall protection. A willful violation is one committed with intentional, knowing or voluntary disregard for the law's requirements, or with plain indifference to worker safety and health.

So $70,000 fine per instance.  These fines are almost always appealed and reduced, but still something most companies don't enjoy going through.

#39 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

Do you happen to know whether Directv receivers pass 5.1 from OTA channels received by the H20's internal tuner and/or the AM21 on newer receivers?

Yes

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall