Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv cannot acctivate new sony rvu tv's

rvu

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

I have the new Sony 550 and spent an hour on phone with tech support. They have not updated their software to add the Sony as a drop down choice for the phone support team to complete the activation if the virtual client. I have a tech coming to the house on a service call Friday to complete the setup. Was told he is the RVU expert and that he has to 'do something' to my TV to activate the virtual client locally. I'll post if it is successful.

I'm gonna call bull on that one. As long a the TV is showing that it is a client and just needs to be activated, that is all that DirecTV needs to do. Once their computer system is updated, it will be that simple.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:36 AM

Was told he is the RVU expert and that he has to 'do something' to my TV to activate the virtual client locally. I'll post if it is successful.

Love those service calls… !rolling

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#23 OFFLINE   Rockon

Rockon

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

He was able to solve the problem... Added DCA with CAT5 to supplement wireless with this wired network connection. Sony Is up and running without a cable box. No charge for the service call.

#24 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Pretty sure it's easily done.  The TV client only has the label for Samsung at this point.  That does not affect what it really is, just a label.  If the supervisor had just selected the Samsung tab, it would've allowed activation in the system.  If the DECA was needed, it wouldn't have worked, but the supervisor should have been able how to activate it on his side.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#25 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

He was able to solve the problem... Added DCA with CAT5 to supplement wireless with this wired network connection. Sony Is up and running without a cable box. No charge for the service call.

AFAIK, TV clients only work with a wired network connection.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#26 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

AFAIK, TV clients only work with a wired network connection.

Yeah, I'm a little confused by that post about the DECA supplementing a wireless connection. There should be only one CCK on the system and that just allows the receivers to see the Internet. In the case of a Genie and a RVU client, there is no additional hardware needed.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#27 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,238 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Sounds like he added a wired CCK or a DECA for an Ethernet connection to the TV.  A wired CCK can be used in either direction.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#28 OFFLINE   hazydave

hazydave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

They have not gotten my Samsung to work either.  They say it needs a deca, but those on line say they don't. Their

sending someone next week to look at it.

Yeah, I ran into this same problem with my Sony 70R550A. I spent over an hour on the phone with their "support" people, back in late May. They didn't have any clue about the Sonys having been approved by DirecTV and RVU certified and all.  I did ultimately manage to get the "supervisor" of the original support person to look on the DirecTV web site and read me back where it said "Sony".

After that, yeah, she tried to convince me this was going to take a service call and DECA. I tried to be nice and explain that all a DECA does is bridge a standard network (10/100/1000-Base-T) over to DirecTV's Ethernet-over-Coax, and I used (initially) simple words, but she just didn't get it. I continued to explain that my Sony was already hooked up (in this case, through a GigE switch and the Ethernet to Coax bridge built-in to my HR34), but she still didn't even show a glimmer of understanding. I pointed out that, when I replaced one of my C31s on the network with my Sony, the Sony worked just dandy. Already. This very moment. And ALL I FRACKIN" NEEDED WAS ONE MORE RVU SLOT! No dice. Like talking to a plant.

There's absolutely nothing anyone needs to do to your TV to hook it up, as long as that TV's Ethernet is on the same network as your DirecTV. It actually works through routers, too, if you set them up right... but that's another room, and another story.

#29 OFFLINE   hazydave

hazydave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

I'm gonna call bull on that one. As long a the TV is showing that it is a client and just needs to be activated, that is all that DirecTV needs to do. Once their computer system is updated, it will be that simple.

- Merg

In theory, that's correct. There's actually nothing DirecTV needs to do to your TV or your home system to enable the Sony itself. If you don't already have a DECA or other network bridge, you might need one. But I had mine replacing a C31 over GigE the second day I had it.

The problem is convincing DirecTV to add one more RVU slot on my account -- all I needed. They insisted on sending out a tech to "set up" my already-working television. I have no time to stay home and wait to tell the service guy that he's working morons, the TV's working, please just add one RVU slot to my account. I've never had more trouble giving a utility company another $6.00 a month in my life. I got the impression that they could add the TV, but would only do it after a technician's visit.

One thing I'll have to give Dish Network credit for, they actually had a Technical Support group. If the Customer Support folks couldn't handle the questions, they'd eventually send you over to someone who had a clue about how their stuff works (most of the field techs I've met are pretty good, but apparently, that knowledge doesn't happen on the phone). DirecTV doesn't seem to have anyone like that... after messing with the Sony/RVU for an hour, I knew more about how it worked than anyone I was able to contact at DirecTV. That's a problem, and not one that's going to get easier, as these system grow more complex.

#30 OFFLINE   djhspawn

djhspawn

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

As of now I have a similar issue. 

When I go to the RVU option I get this error.

fz7pjRA.jpg

So let me break down what I have done and where I am now in case someone can enlighten me as to where I am going wrong or where DTV is going wrong.

1st step: Contacted DTV and informed I had an RVU Sony. After showing directv.com/rvu to different phone agents I got them to add a device.

1.Connected TV to test and known working outlet. Choose RVU on the TV and get the above error.

2.Per DTV tech support, I connected a DECA (DTV sent it to me) and same error.

3.I followed this article from Sony and still received the same error.

I have spent about 10 hours with DTV and as of now I have given in and have a service call for tomorrow (which I believe to be a waste of time). Currently the "My Equipment" screen on DTV's site still shows a Samsung RVU, not sure if that matters or not.

Anyone have anything they can add to assist?

#31 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

First of all, it really doesn't matter if the DIRECTV web site says Samsung, the key is that your Genie knows that there is an RVU client authorized on the account.

I assume that you have checked to make sure that the Genie and the Sony RVU client are on the same IP network, aka the addresses are something like 192.168.0.X? If not that needs to be fixed.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#32 OFFLINE   djhspawn

djhspawn

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

First of all, it really doesn't matter if the DIRECTV web site says Samsung, the key is that your Genie knows that there is an RVU client authorized on the account.

I assume that you have checked to make sure that the Genie and the Sony RVU client are on the same IP network, aka the addresses are something like 192.168.0.X? If not that needs to be fixed.

Great question.

I have never had my Genie connected to my network (I never had a need to), but as apart of this troubleshooting I bit the bullet and successfully connected the Genie to my network. I then did a software update on my TV and made sure that both devices are on the same network. My TV was able to see the Genie via the standard DLNA like media server, so that did tell me that they were on the same network. But as soon as I went to the RVU option on my Sony TV I was greeted with the same error as seen above.

Follow up question, does this have to be done through my network? Or can it be done via the coax connections just like my other HD receivers I have in the house?

#33 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

With the TV and HR on the same network - and it sounds like they are if you can play music or a movie from your PC to the TV and ping the HR from the same PC, all you need is to get an RVU client added to your account.  Be sure that an RVU client shows on your account.  You may want to refresh it from the website.

I have that same TV (sweet TV!) and when I go to the RVU client, I get the instruction page to go to the Genie and get a PIN to enter and activate the RVU client.

I had a genie client for a while and was able to switch the PIN between client and the TV client.

Also, you'll need a RC71 from either ebay or Directv and set it to 54001   (Mute/Select -- flashes green twice and enter 54001.   The  Sony remote doesn't control the client.

I have my Genie on that TV so I don't use the RVU other than the quick experiment.

#34 OFFLINE   djhspawn

djhspawn

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

With the TV and HR on the same network - and it sounds like they are if you can play music or a movie from your PC to the TV and ping the HR from the same PC, all you need is to get an RVU client added to your account.  Be sure that an RVU client shows on your account.  You may want to refresh it from the website.

I have that same TV (sweet TV!) and when I go to the RVU client, I get the instruction page to go to the Genie and get a PIN to enter and activate the RVU client.

I had a genie client for a while and was able to switch the PIN between client and the TV client.

Also, you'll need a RC71 from either ebay or Directv and set it to 54001   (Mute/Select -- flashes green twice and enter 54001.   The  Sony remote doesn't control the client.

I have my Genie on that TV so I don't use the RVU other than the quick experiment.

The problem is I am never getting that prompt on the TV to enter in the pin.

My current equipment screen looks like this:

dDJK6L2.png

#35 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

That's why is sounds like a network connectivity issue if you're never getting the instructions on the Sony for getting a PIN. Don't know how the Sony looks like but on the Samsung the Genie server is in the source device list, along with Blu-Ray players and the TV's tuner, with a DIRECTV logo/icon along, do you see something like that?

#36 OFFLINE   djhspawn

djhspawn

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

That's why is sounds like a network connectivity issue if you're never getting the instructions on the Sony for getting a PIN. Don't know how the Sony looks like but on the Samsung the Genie server is in the source device list, along with Blu-Ray players and the TV's tuner, with a DIRECTV logo/icon along, do you see something like that?

No I am not getting anything like that.

Now I do want to make a note of it, even though I do not think its an issue. But my router is a Galaxy S3 that I use as a dedicated hot spot. But I am able to use my network like any other network. I play LAN game of Borderlands 2, I stream content from a HDD.... so my network acts like any other. Just wanted to make a note of that.

Now, I still have not got a real solid answer, do I need to use my home network? Or can this be done via the coax like my other Sat receivers?

Edited by djhspawn, 20 August 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#37 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

No I am not getting anything like that.

Now I do want to make a note of it, even though I do not think its an issue. But my router is a Galaxy S3 that I use as a dedicated hot spot. But I am able to use my network like any other network. I play LAN game of Borderlands 2, I stream content from a HDD.... so my network acts like any other. Just wanted to make a note of that.

Now, I still have not got a real solid answer, do I need to use my home network? Or can this be done via the coax like my other Sat receivers?

Tell us again how the TV is connected to your network and how the genie is connected.  The simplest would be a Ethernet from a switch or a port on your router to the TV and one to your Genie since you don't have other HRs.

My Sony is connected to a switch that the Genie is connected to and bridging my DECA cloud to the router.

Your IP scheme should be something like 192.168.1.x   where the first three numbers are the same and the fourth is unique for the TV, Genie and your PC.

#38 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

if you connect with DECA, no Internet is necessary.  however if you connect with ethernet, then the Genie and TV must be on the same network

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#39 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

Re-reading through your part of the thread, you mention 'should I use my home network' . . . and using the Galaxy as  'HotSpot'.

If you're using wireless on the TV, I'd change it back to wired with the DECA Ethernet pigtail from the coax / splitter that also goes to the genie.

Then be sure that the ip scheme is the same on both the TV and genie.  No Ethernet connection on the Genie unless it goes to your router for bridging.

Even without a router, the genie can communicate via a 169.254.x.x address but I'm not sure what the Sony defaults to.

#40 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

And no you can't just connect the satellite coax to the TV's coax input and think that RVU will work like it does with the C31/C41 clients, the TV doesn't have a build in DECA, that's why you need the external DECA connected to the TV's ethernet connection.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rvu

spam firewall