Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sony BDP3100 firmware update success

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

had a client call and inform me she was upset, a borrowed Harry Potter disk was stuck in her 'locked up' Sony blu-ray player.

I talked her through getting the disk out (unplug, plug back in, hit eject), and said I would drop by later.

went on sony website, found the model, downloaded a firmware update, burned it to a CD-R, took just a few minutes, except for the download, my slow internet and 100 megs was somewhat tedious.

Finally got by her place, and told her I just had to put the CD-R in the blu-ray and it might fix it.

She was eyeing me a little suspiciously, I think she really wanted to go back to BB and make a scene.

I didn't have time to go through the movie, she said it locks up well over an hour into the movie.

Today, she calls, all happy, movie played all the way, no problems, she even watched a few extras apparently.

I've done several firmware jobs on Sony's, but mostly for friends and family as a palliative.  First time for a client, and also first time for a problem, and it was fixed.

Kudos to Sony!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Could she not just download it herself?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

Like most of my clients, she's (and I don't mean to be ageist) somewhat senior. 

She'll brag me up to her friends, it's a win-win.

• sigma1914 likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Could she not just download it herself?

You'd be amazed what adults can't do.  I've taught a lot of adult classes at a college and I had a woman who just couldn't learn to double click.  

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

Like most of my clients, she's (and I don't mean to be ageist) somewhat senior. 

She'll brag me up to her friends, it's a win-win.

Not to be "ageist", but she probably couldn't do it herself if she was 25.  It takes awhile for "tool users" to understand that everyone isn't a tool user.  Has little to do with age.  

Rich 

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

Sad to report, but one of my least tech savvy customers was a grandkid of one of my regulars. He's in college to be a lawyer, and maybe he'll be good at that, but input buttons are something that kid struggled mightily to comprehend.  He insisted on having RCA composites on everything, and he would unplug and plugin  whatever he wanted to use on the front jacks on his TV to avoid using the input button.

Until grandma told me he was accepted at law school I thought he was a special needs kid.

:eek2:

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

My Sony is connected to my home network and consequently the internet.  It tells me when there is a firmware update, and it does it automatically.  Set them up that way and you're usually done having to support it manually.

#8 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

My Sony is connected to my home network and consequently the internet.  It tells me when there is a firmware update, and it does it automatically.  Set them up that way and you're usually done having to support it manually.

+1

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#9 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

I won't touch a customers router, laptop, PC, credit card, hot wife, or vehicle that is more expensive than anything I own.

Just a policy I established after reading through my contractors insurance policy.

We won't even go into the STD clause {shudder}.

spam firewall