Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR20-POS has screwed me for the last time!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

To me the HR20's as well as other HR2x models are reliable, it's the SW that ruins it with its glitches and bugs, and also all the confusion with blackouts.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

I cannot express in words how glad I am to be rid of my HR20's and moved into a Genie.
The "I" phone 1 is now about to be deemed an artifact.
Dvr's are not like vhs back in the day.
One year is 10 jumps in tech.

Well, I have the new an improved protection plan, so I plan to try to upgrade to the Genie after the Stanley Cup Final and NCAA Lacrosse final.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#23 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

I would do almost anything to rid myself of my HR20 except spend money or sign another contract... 

#24 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

I am not trying to be a salesman or instigator here. I am just saying that once you upgrade you get it when it comes to how far we have come. Much to the credit of the CE process that Directv has used in mutual benefit.

THey won't even take my HR20's back because they are so old.

To me the HR20's as well as other HR2x models are reliable, it's the SW that ruins it with its glitches and bugs, and also all the confusion with blackouts.

#25 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

If it was on a national station, I go back to my original complaint, that is the HR-POS didn't record as it should have. It has an autorecord of ISLANDERS-HOCKEY, so why would it record on MSG rather than NBC-whatever, and even after that, why didn't game search take over? Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

I doubt the dvr was the issue, but guide data that could easily be screwed up no matter what dvr you use from anyone.  What was your exact search string?  The one thing I don't ever rely on is gamesearch, because sometimes it doesn't work right with some of the blackout stuff they do at the last minute due to guide data not being as accurate as it should be.

And all the hr2x's use the same software, and i don't have issues with any of them.  I have many Auto records for sports set up on mine and others I know, and no one misses games if you set it up just right. But genies are the true fix in terms of number of tuners to record more things

#26 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:43 AM

I would do almost anything to rid myself of my HR20 except spend money or sign another contract... 

Then you, my friend, have not hit rock bottom yet.

Because I would and did both to make it right.

But all is well now. Growing pains, but it is worth it.

#27 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

I doubt the dvr was the issue, but guide data that could easily be screwed up no matter what dvr you use from anyone.  What was your exact search string?  The one thing I don't ever rely on is gamesearch, because sometimes it doesn't work right with some of the blackout stuff they do at the last minute due to guide data not being as accurate as it should be.

And all the hr2x's use the same software, and i don't have issues with any of them.  I have many Auto records for sports set up on mine and others I know, and no one misses games if you set it up just right. But genies are the true fix in terms of number of tuners to record more things

Search String - ISLANDERS-HOCKEY

That's it.  I used to use more complicated ones to try to get the MSG broadcasts, but I tended to miss games that way, so I switched back to the simple string and babysitting the ToDo list.  When I left for our lacrosse game, I checked and it was planning to record on MSG, but according to the search, that was the only place the game was showing, so I had to leave it that way.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#28 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

I've had this HR20 since a month after it was released in 2006.  I still remember how, for the first year, it couldn't play back NHLCI games.  As soon as the broadcast window closed, the recording stopped working, so you could only watch games live.  I had DirecTV come back and re-connect my old TiVo for free just so I could still watch hockey!  So, with all of its warts, the HR DVRs have come a long way!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#29 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

Search String - ISLANDERS-HOCKEY

That's it.  I used to use more complicated ones to try to get the MSG broadcasts, but I tended to miss games that way, so I switched back to the simple string and babysitting the ToDo list.  When I left for our lacrosse game, I checked and it was planning to record on MSG, but according to the search, that was the only place the game was showing, so I had to leave it that way.

This sounds dumb, but you have to manually record these playoff games.  Including manually setting the channel and start and stop times.  The Tribune guide data has been pretty bad this year.  On my stand alone Tivo, it usually just says "NHL playoffs Teams TBA" but sometimes it has some other show instead.

Go here to see which channels might have it.  

http://www.nhl.com/i...hedulebyday.htm

#30 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

I'll never fall that far down. lol I already did the two year deal and paid $$ when I got this receiver, I'm done doing that. 

#31 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

This sounds dumb, but you have to manually record these playoff games.  Including manually setting the channel and start and stop times.  The Tribune guide data has been pretty bad this year.  On my stand alone Tivo, it usually just says "NHL playoffs Teams TBA" but sometimes it has some other show instead.

That's correct, the guide data is a mess. Blame NBC for that.

With NBC holding the rights to the games, you can't record them on the RSN. NHL Center Ice does not apply for the playoffs.  And game search won't work, because the "correct" channel often has the game listed as NHL playoff with no teams specified, so game search can't find it. Nothing to do with the HR20, and nothing to do with DirecTV.

And FYI, my HR20-700 is the BEST DVR I have owned, apart from the HR24. My HR21/22 DVRs have all gone back to DirecTV.

#32 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,265 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

If it was on a national station, I go back to my original complaint, that is the HR-POS didn't record as it should have. It has an autorecord of ISLANDERS-HOCKEY, so why would it record on MSG rather than NBC-whatever, and even after that, why didn't game search take over? Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

HR 20 is long in the tooth, but hardly a p.o.s. Your ire is misdirected: The fault lies somewhere between whoever made the late decision to switch channels and the Tribune, who logs such and sends out the info in the form of Guide info. To be sure, there'd be some delay between the time the Trib disseminated the info to DirecTV and others, and when it was received by your DVR.

I understand the frustration, as it's happened to me. Now, if it's a really important game, I may well record it on other "unlisted" channels.... 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#33 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

The only HR2x model better than the 20's are the 24's....unless it is physically failing.  The HR3/4x have their own set of issues...

#34 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

To find the correct NBC channel for your game, http://nbcsports.msn.../ns/sports-nhl/

#35 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

The problem is, whenever I do that, I get a canceled recording due to updated guide information.  In other words, if I leave it as an autorecord, and the guide info changes, it will sometimes update and change to record the correct program, but if I select the program to record manually and there is any change in the guide info, it just dumps the recording altogether.  The guide data has always been the bane of our existence!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#36 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

I think you're right. It was the Guide data that caused your problem and I think no matter whether you have an HR20 or a Genie, you would have had the same result. 

#37 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,265 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

It's not perfect, but think about the timing of events as mentioned in my earlier post. And manual recordings can't be expected to know what to do when the channel's changed, though if going live to an event that's moved, it will search for the alternate station(s).

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#38 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

But from what the TS said, the channels never changed. The game wasn't listed on any of the NBC channels but it was listed on MSG. So he left it to record from MSG because he thought he could because he is a CI subscriber.

And just as a "heads-up" -- my guide is currently showing the Toronto/Boston game on CNBC from 7-8PM.  CNBC is the correct channel according to NHL.com and NBC.com, but the game is going to last longer than one hour.  So anyone recording that tonight needs to keep an eye out for that. 

#39 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

The problem is, whenever I do that, I get a canceled recording due to updated guide information.  In other words, if I leave it as an autorecord, and the guide info changes, it will sometimes update and change to record the correct program, but if I select the program to record manually and there is any change in the guide info, it just dumps the recording altogether.  The guide data has always been the bane of our existence!

By manual recording he doesn't mean look for it in the guide and then hit the record button, he means setting up an actual manual recording.  Like you used to do on an old VCR.  You tell it to record channel 234 from 7PM to 10PM, or whatever time/channel the game is supposed to be on.  The DVR will then record that channel at that time no matter what happens to the guide data.  The only problem with this is if the game gets moved to another time/channel, or that channel is blacked out since the game is on a different channel, etc.  If you know for sure the channel and time the game is airing this is a good option to be absolutely sure you get the game.  Remember though, you may want to add an extra hour or so to the recording time in case the game goes long, since a manual recording won't automatically add an extra 30 minutes or whatever you have your DVR set to add for Live Events.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...