Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722k-partial signal loss

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

A couple months ago, my 722k started occassionally giving me a 'partial signal loss' message (with the obligatory solutions: check line of site, check cable, check connections, unplug receiver for a few seconds and restart-etc).  It's becoming more & more frequent.  I've found that by hitting either the 'guide' or 'menu' buttons on the remote and then cancel, the problem clears up.  Sometimes it clears for days, sometime only a couple minutes.  I have found it seems to happen most often when I'm watching a program from Sat 129, and when I've checked signal strength when it happens it's usually in the mid to upper 50's. My receiver is in the open with an external fan drawing air out (average hd temp seems to be about 105)

My 211k in the bedroom, connected to the same dish/lnbs has not had this problem.  AND there is absolutely nothing near the dish that could be blocking any of the signal

Anyone else have this happen?  Did you come up with a fix?

Edited by CeeWoo, 12 May 2013 - 12:47 PM.

• RG6-Q likes this

#2 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

I had a separator go bad once and it mimic such symptoms, just a thought. 

• CeeWoo likes this

#3 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Here's something I hadn't noticed---I'm watching a baseball game (again on Sat 129) and at a fairly good spot in the game it happened again.  After I hit the 'guide-cancel' buttons and restored the picture, I backed up and low & behold, the missed portion of the game IS on the hard drive.  So it seems the 'problem' is after the data/video reaches the hard drive.  Somehow it's just not reaching the output

#4 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Have you contacted DISH?

#5 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

Not yet...but I will soon

#6 OFFLINE   Jason S@dish

Jason S@dish

Cool Member

• DISH Representative
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

You can send me a PM and I can assit you with resolving this partial signal loss. Looking at the thread there could be a couple possibilities, but we will run through the troubleshooting quickly and get this resolved.

#7 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

Thanks Jason-you should have a message in the inbox

#8 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

Do you have tha OTA module in your 722k and if so is it on a weak channel?

Anecdotally there have been instances where leaving the OTA tuner on a channel that has dropouts, causes such anomalies on whichever channel you re viewing from satellite.

Try putting both tuners of the OTA module on a strong channel and see if the problem goes away.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#9 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

Humm, yes I do have the OTA module.  It's interesting that some have found problems there can have an effect on other sat channels, but I'll give that a go.  Our OTA here is pretty bad...we're in a valley about 35 miles from the nearest towers so they use a low power reflector/translator to get the signal to us.  BUT there is one particular spanish/mexican station that has a much higher signal strength than the other channels.  I'll add them to my favorites list just as a place to 'park' the module when we're not watching it.  Thanks

Edited by CeeWoo, 14 May 2013 - 09:14 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   RG6-Q

RG6-Q

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPUERTO RICO

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

A couple months ago, my 722k started occassionally giving me a 'partial signal loss' message (with the obligatory solutions: check line of site, check cable, check connections, unplug receiver for a few seconds and restart-etc).  It's becoming more & more frequent.  I've found that by hitting either the 'guide' or 'menu' buttons on the remote and then cancel, the problem clears up.  Sometimes it clears for days, sometime only a couple minutes.  I have found it seems to happen most often when I'm watching a program from Sat 129, and when I've checked signal strength when it happens it's usually in the mid to upper 50's. My receiver is in the open with an external fan drawing air out (average hd temp seems to be about 105)

My 211k in the bedroom, connected to the same dish/lnbs has not had this problem.  AND there is absolutely nothing near the dish that could be blocking any of the signal

Anyone else have this happen?  Did you come up with a fix?

My OTA has been disconnected now for a few weeks since it had been locking up my receiver with a transmitter only 6 miles away and a 100.00 antenna with a stable 96 signal.  I only had 1 station programmed.  So I thought.  With L800 and previous two updates, I turn the receiver and without the OTA and re-scanned without the antenna connected to clear the counter I get complete signal lost and sometimes channel signal lost.  I go and check signal and is from 60 to 107 ( i have dish 300 ).

When I go to system info one I see 11-12-11, 11-11-11 on the hours prior to me turning on the receiver and up to the moment I turned it on. If I unplug the receiver its gone and no more signal lost.  

Bottom line, cannot be OTA.  Temperature is not since mine has an adjustable dual fan on the left side looking at unit from front that lets the heat flow out and temperature high is 122 and average is 111 and is on a open glass that let it ventilate and is cool to the touch  My wiring I change every two years or so and use RG6-Q with compression fittings and seal them better than a bank vault.  When that happens and I reset unit and go to counters and hit analysis all parameters of four for each tuner and sat position have all great signal.  And guess what, it's only the 722K that does it.   

Right now I have on section b of System info one I have 30/140 which goes down or up every few hours.  

All these signal loses started with L756 which soon changed to L759 and now L800.

Does not sound to me like a receiver/connection problem.

I have done everything I could or did DISH bugged the receiver so we could all got the Hopper. :bang

spam firewall