Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

3D independent of DirecTV?

3d hd dvr

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   levinjb

levinjb

• Registered
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Arizona

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

First: I do not want to engage in a discussion of whether 3d is any good or has a future or requires glasses or any of the other controversies surrounding 3d provision over TV or in movies.  I have a technical issue.

I just got a new 50" plasma to replace the dieing 7-year-old LDP projection TV.  Since it was my first large TV in so long I splurged and got "smart" features and 3d (active) capabilities as well.  I don't have a 3d BluRay machine or disks yet, but I tried it on the two free channels from DTV -- 3net and ESPN3d, and I rented the new Hobbit movie in 3d from channel 104 as well.  It worked quite as advertised, and it was (for me) pleasant and comfortable.  (I've never had headaches or much discomfort from 3d in theaters.)  Now as far as I know, these are the only 3d channels DTV claims to have, and DTV has to particpate in the 3d features (appropriate signaling and indicators and so forth).

Much to my surprise, I had the SciFi channel on this afternoon, and shortly after "Star Trek: Generations" started (just after it switched to Next Generation time and the holodeck ship, if you know the plot), my TV put up a small popup screen saying that it had detected a 3d signal and I might want to switch the TV's mode.  I did so, and engaged the glasses, and sure enough, the movie was now visible in 3d.  One thing that surprised me was that this was apparently completely transparent to DTV; there were no notices or any indication in the "info" screens that the movie was anything but bog-standard HDTV; yet the TV knew, displayed 3d status in its info screen, and the content was definitely 3d.  So were all the commercials and promos, to my even further surprise.  So (A) I didn't know that the 3d capability was a property of the data stream that DTV does not track but does pass transparently to the viewer; or (B) that there were other channels broadcasting apparently in HDTV but really in a 3d version of same (but backwards-compatible with a TV in 2d mode or without 3d), down to having 3d versions of the commercials.  Now I really wonder how many 3d unofficially via high definition TV.

Finally I need to add a word about the quality of the SciFi (I refuse to spell it the other way) channel's 3d.  It was worse than the three "official" 3d channels.  This was not in the apparent "3d-ness" of the content, i.e. it was perfectly clear that something was close or further away or an object had depth.  The problem was the frequent slight glitches in picture quality, not pixel artifacts as you sometimes get on any digital screen, but some weird flashing if something moved across the screen "closer" to you than other objects.  My suspicion is that this is related to the fact that this channel was showing in 1080i resolution while the Hobbit movie was being shown in 1080p (1080p/24 for that matter); I think the artifacts I was seeing in the stereo vision resulted from the interlacing of fields in 1080i; and extra processing that DTV might do, if any, for the "official" 3d channels (besides showing them in 1080p) was of course not being done for the SciFi channel.

I'd be interested in any comments.

Edited by levinjb, 12 May 2013 - 06:57 PM.

"Earn more sessions by sleeving."  -- CDB

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,725 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

My 3D Samsung (not "smart" by any means) can take any 2D content and "present" it on 3D. Is a feature of your TV rather than DirecTV.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

I might help if you keep in mind that SyFy movies are like going to the drive-in back when they had drive-in theaters.

It is silly to worry about the quality, when they are just giving you a place to go make out, without your parents in the same room.

Asking why the 3d sucks on a SyFy movie is like asking why a proctologist's finger is so cold.

You went there and new what to expect.

#4 OFFLINE   levinjb

levinjb

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Well, armophob, that was exactly the kind of response I wasn't looking for.  3d is what it is, disklike it or hate it.

Anyhow, as peds48 has noted, some TVs come with som 2D->3D trickery built in, as does mine.  I checked other channels, and discovered that this is probably coming on automatically if I request 3d mode on 2d content.  I don't seem to be able to turn it off (except to leave it in 2d mode).  I suppose the only question is why did the TV tell me it detected a 3d signal during the Star Trek movie?  Probably a glitch, thinking it recognized some 3d component in the signal that wasn't really there.

One more comment, semi-related to the kind of response I wasn't looking for, then I'll shut up.  I don't know the technology, but clearly they have something that's pretty not-bad for converting 2d to 3d for commercial movies, like the recent rerelease of Jurassic Park, which I feel sure was not originally filmed in 3d.  It's probably an expensive process going through the film frame-by-rame.  The real-time version of this that's built into the TV's 2D->3D function would then be a really low-rent version of this process, which explains why the stereo image is so artifact-filled.

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

Are you sure it's not your Blu Ray player that's converting 2D to 3D?  That's probably why the TV claims it's receiving the 3D signal.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   levinjb

levinjb

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

Are you sure it's not your Blu Ray player that's converting 2D to 3D?  That's probably why the TV claims it's receiving the 3D signal.

Not in this case -- I don't have a 3d BR player yet.  This was all just from the direct connection from my DirecTV DVR (HR24 maybe?) to the TV.

#7 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:57 AM

I am using plain talk as if you are privy to the state of tv today. I am not here to offend you.

Most of us nerds know that most SyFy is junk SD/HD/3D/ or live on stage

Well, armophob, that was exactly the kind of response I wasn't looking for.  3d is what it is, disklike it or hate it.

Anyhow, as peds48 has noted, some TVs come with som 2D->3D trickery built in, as does mine.  I checked other channels, and discovered that this is probably coming on automatically if I request 3d mode on 2d content.  I don't seem to be able to turn it off (except to leave it in 2d mode).  I suppose the only question is why did the TV tell me it detected a 3d signal during the Star Trek movie?  Probably a glitch, thinking it recognized some 3d component in the signal that wasn't really there.

One more comment, semi-related to the kind of response I wasn't looking for, then I'll shut up.  I don't know the technology, but clearly they have something that's pretty not-bad for converting 2d to 3d for commercial movies, like the recent rerelease of Jurassic Park, which I feel sure was not originally filmed in 3d.  It's probably an expensive process going through the film frame-by-rame.  The real-time version of this that's built into the TV's 2D->3D function would then be a really low-rent version of this process, which explains why the stereo image is so artifact-filled.

#8 OFFLINE   levinjb

levinjb

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:54 AM

I am using plain talk as if you are privy to the state of tv today. I am not here to offend you.

Most of us nerds know that most SyFy is junk SD/HD/3D/ or live on stage

No offense.  I'm well aware of Sturgeon's law (or revelation) that 90% of everything is crap, and for the stuff on Saturdays on this channel I'd happily go 95%.  My comment in the first paragraph of my first post was intended to avert the long discussion about how 3d is bad, or dying, or hateful or sick-making that usually emerges when the topic of 3d comes up.

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

My tv occasionally pops up the false positive for 3D signal detected, I just ignore it as should you.  Your tv, as mine can probably simulate 3D content from any 2D source, and no its not as good as true 3D. 

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,965 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

I get the 3D popup sometimes and found where to turn it off. I'd notice it on commercials where 2 similar products were showed side by side. What model TV did you get?

If you ever get a 3D BR player and want to rent discs, check out this site.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,725 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

When a film is remastered on 3D, the director chooses where to do the "cool" 3D effects. However when my TV "up converts " from 2 to 3D is just basically gives two split screens which then the glasses uses to make one 3D image. The results are not as good as with an original 3D material
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3d, hd dvr

Protected By... spam firewall...And...