Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need to upgrade

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wichi

wichi

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

I've been a subscriber to Directv for about 10 years with a HIRD e4 receiver. I recently received a couple of emails saying that DTV needs to upgrade my receiver and will send me a **free** replacement (yes I've read the fine print and realize that "free" ain't really free, but no problem there). I have read through a number of other threads here relating to this issue and think I have a handle on how the process works, but I just want to nail down a few things:

1. When they send me a new receiver, how does the activation process work? I don't need to hook it up to a landline or anything like that (as was the case 10 years ago), right? It can all be done via internet?

2. Does anyone know which receiver I will get?

3. If I opt to upgrade to HD (as it appears I can get a "free" HD receiver sent to me if I want to upgrade) does an installer have to come to my house, or can I have the receiver shipped to me? (father-in-law is a satellite installer so he could do it, but he's not authorized by Directv).

4. Are there any "owned" receivers worth picking up (on EBay, etc) to prolong the inevitable, or should I just give in to the leasing program?

Thanks in advance..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

I've been a subscriber to Directv for about 10 years with a HIRD e4 receiver. I recently received a couple of emails saying that DTV needs to upgrade my receiver and will send me a **free** replacement (yes I've read the fine print and realize that "free" ain't really free, but no problem there). I have read through a number of other threads here relating to this issue and think I have a handle on how the process works, but I just want to nail down a few things:

1. When they send me a new receiver, how does the activation process work? I don't need to hook it up to a landline or anything like that (as was the case 10 years ago), right? It can all be done via internet?

3. If I opt to upgrade to HD (as it appears I can get a "free" HD receiver sent to me if I want to upgrade) does an installer have to come to my house, or can I have the receiver shipped to me? (father-in-law is a satellite installer so he could do it, but he's not authorized by Directv).

4. Are there any "owned" receivers worth picking up (on EBay, etc) to prolong the inevitable, or should I just give in to the leasing program?

Thanks in advance..

Activation is simply calling in and giving the numbers off the box no phone line needed.

Most likely the standard receiver would be a D12. 

HD would most likely need a tech and your father in law most likely could do the work before tech gets there if you want it done a certain way but he will not get paid unless you pay him. Tech would just bring box verify everything is setup then close his work order.

I would not pay for anything on Ebay as DTV is sending you free equipment unless you plan on leaving them for some reason then you may not want a lease.

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

Upgrade to HD will require a new dish and LNB assembly be installed. Plus it will result in additional monthly cost for HD service. Not saying you shouldn't consider it, but do make yourself aware of all the details to help make the decision an informed one.

If you do the install yourself, you will have to cover the cost of the new dish. If you have DirecTV do it, it will be included in the upgrade.

If you simply update the SD receiver, they should be able to ship it to you and you change it out yourself. No installer visit should be needed for that.

As to owned versus leased, it is becoming more difficult to find used, owned, equipment to purchase. However, if you do go that route obtain the Receiver ID number (RID) from the unit you plan to buy and call the access card department at DirecTV to confirm the unit really is owned, can be purchased, and can be activated on your account. You will need to get a new access card also (about $20).  My suggestion would be to just go ahead and do the lease option.

#4 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

I recently received a couple of emails saying that DTV needs to upgrade my receiver and will send me a **free** replacement (yes I've read the fine print and realize that "free" ain't really free, but no problem there)

EXACTLY WHICH IS WHY THEY WONT JUST SEND EVERYONE A NEW BOX...... Its a scam to get more $$$$$$ from people which is why THEY WANT PPL TO CONSENT TO IT so it doesnt seem like they are forcing this!!!!!

IM KEEPING MY RCA AS LONG AS I CAN AND IF THEY CUT IT OFF,ILL DROP SERVICE...... I dont want thier piece of crap IRD..... Ill pay the rental fee for thier NEW BOX but i want to keep the one I have!!!!

#5 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 798 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

Thanks in advance..

In this case free really is free. There is no charge, no agreement, and your bill will not change. You pay the same $6/month for each additional receiver whether it is owned or leased (this is all assuming you take the mandatory like-for-like swap and do not upgrade).

The receiver will be a D12, unless you live in an MPEG4 market (one where HD equipment is required for local channels). If you live in an MPEG4 market it's probably going to be an H24 (although it could be an H23 or H21).
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,458 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

Right, if it needs to be replaced due to the guide system, there is no agreement. If there is anything about an agreement, that is just standard text that really doesn't apply. Of course this is only if you take the normal swap, like the d12, any upgrade would have the commitment.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,557 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

Ill pay the rental fee for thier NEW BOX but i want to keep the one I have!!!!

Then keep your "handicapped" receiver/

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

What does that mean bud??

My reciever is excellent .. Its just a basic IRD,no HD,no nothing..... I dont wanna lose this excellent reciever I have had for years.......

#9 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 798 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

What does that mean bud??

My reciever is excellent .. Its just a basic IRD,no HD,no nothing..... I dont wanna lose this excellent reciever I have had for years.......

Well you'll be able to keep it even after they send you a new one. It will be a paperweight, but D* will not require it to be sent back.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

spam firewall