Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Suspend service on a D12-100 receiver question

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   weadjust

weadjust

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

I have a D12-100 receiver in a spare bedroom that is not used very often. I would like to suspend service to this receiver and possibly reactivate the receiver when football season starts. Would DTV require me to send the receiver back or would they let me hang on to it until the fall? Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

The CSR has a way to put it in a suspend "seasonal mode" or something to that affect where a return would not be needed.

#3 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

I know they send you a return box for leased receivers for HR2x boxes, So D12 isn't any different like any leased receivers. Unless they're owned then you can deactivate and reactivate at your disposal without returning it.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#4 OFFLINE   weadjust

weadjust

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

It's leased. Being a SD box I didn't know if DTV would still want it back. I may have to explore finding a used/owned D12 I could activate or turn off without having to return it.

Edited by weadjust, 12 May 2013 - 08:52 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

It's leased. Being a SD box I didn't know if DTV would still want it back. I may have to explore finding a used/owned D12 I could activate or turn off without having to return it.

Try eBay

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#6 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

Try calling first to see if they can turn off without returning it, if it can't be done then explore for owned D12's

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#7 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

I know they send you a return box for leased receivers for HR2x boxes, So D12 isn't any different like any leased receivers. Unless they're owned then you can deactivate and reactivate at your disposal without returning it.

This is incorrect see post #2.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

Are sure about this? I know for a fact that you can suspend an entire account, but a single receiver I am not sure
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

My understanding is that you can't suspend a single receiver if it is leased.

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,160 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

As I've recommended to others before on this issue;

All I'll say is that if DIRECTV CS says they can suspend service to a leased receiver and you do not have to return it, you can choose to take them up on that, but just make sure you carefully hang on to it and regularly check your account for the next 3-6 months just in case.

Last year I had an R16-300 my last SD box, which I deactivated and CS made me the same offer that I need not return it and can reactivate it at will. Then a few months later a $175.00 non-returned equipment charge suddenly appeared on my bill along with calls from some DIRECTV warehouse back east asking me where the R16 is.

Needless to say I returned it pronto when that warehouse sent out a return kit and made sure I got my account credited.    

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#11 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

As I've recommended to others before on this issue;

All I'll say is that if DIRECTV CS says they can suspend service to a leased receiver and you do not have to return it, you can choose to take them up on that, but just make sure you carefully hang on to it and regularly check your account for the next 3-6 months just in case.

Last year I had an R16-300 my last SD box, which I deactivated and CS made me the same offer that I need not return it and can reactivate it at will. Then a few months later a $175.00 non-returned equipment charge suddenly appeared on my bill along with calls from some DIRECTV warehouse back east asking me where the R16 is.

Needless to say I returned it pronto when that warehouse sent out a return kit and made sure I got my account credited.    

That is unfortunate that happen to you from an agent misleading you. A leased receiver once deactivated from the account MUST be returned back to DirecTV--no exceptions to this rule. Only an owned receiver can be deactivated and reactivated on an off. That is one of the few benefits I can think of for leased vs. owned. Once a leased receiver is deactivated, the system automatically generates an order for a recovery kit and if that is not returned in 7 days from receiving the kit (21 days for account cancellations) you will be charged a non return equipment fee. Now the CSRs do have a way for that not to happen and it is only to be used under situations like the installer took the receiver back with him from an work order for an upgrade, and did not deactivate the leased receiver from the account. This ensures you are not charged a nrf when you don't have that ird still. 

The CSR has a way to put it in a suspend "seasonal mode" or something to that affect where a return would not be needed.

:nono: Their is no such thing as a seasonal mode nor has their ever been in the 5 years I have worked for D*. If a CSR told you that they are spewing incorrect information.  If a CSR or CSRs has done so for you they were either new or just ignorant.

My understanding is that you can't suspend a single receiver if it is leased.

Your understanding is correct :)

Edited by Volatility, 13 May 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

Their is no such thing as a seasonal mode nor has their ever been in the 5 years I have worked for D*. If a CSR told you that they are spewing incorrect information.  If a CSR or CSRs has done so for you they were either new or just ignorant.

This is completely correct.

• Volatility likes this
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#13 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

All this discussion to save a lousy $6 per month.  You can't even get a decent lunch for $6 anymore!

Why not just leave the receiver active?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#14 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

All this discussion to save a lousy $6 per month.  You can't even get a decent lunch for $6 anymore!

Why not just leave the receiver active?

If it's not being used so why keep it around unless it's owned, But that's up to the OP.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#15 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

That is unfortunate that happen to you from an agent misleading you. A leased receiver once deactivated from the account MUST be returned back to DirecTV--no exceptions to this rule. Only an owned receiver can be deactivated and reactivated on an off. That is one of the few benefits I can think of for leased vs. owned. Once a leased receiver is deactivated, the system automatically generates an order for a recovery kit and if that is not returned in 7 days from receiving the kit (21 days for account cancellations) you will be charged a non return equipment fee. Now the CSRs do have a way for that not to happen and it is only to be used under situations like the installer took the receiver back with him from an work order for an upgrade, and did not deactivate the leased receiver from the account. This ensures you are not charged a nrf when you don't have that ird still. 

Your understanding is correct :)

I am trying to find the documentation so I show you where to look for this info. There is a way to do it for sure. I am not a CSR so have never done it but have saw the document that said it could be done. When disconnected does it ask for the reason it was disconnected? I think the document stated that for the reason you put in seasonal and it does not generate a recovery kit. When I find it and if its something that can be posted I will. But you CSR's look in the system cause its there.

#16 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

I am trying to find the documentation so I show you where to look for this info. There is a way to do it for sure. I am not a CSR so have never done it but have saw the document that said it could be done. When disconnected does it ask for the reason it was disconnected? I think the document stated that for the reason you put in seasonal and it does not generate a recovery kit. When I find it and if its something that can be posted I will. But you CSR's look in the system cause its there.

As previously stated, it can be deactivated in a way that they do not send a recovery kit but that is only when the technician takes it with him.  Technically a CSR could do this for someone who wants to put it on "seasonal vacation" but per policy, a recoverable leased receiver must be sent back to D* upon deactivation.

EDIT: that last part is in my own words, though it kinda looks like copy/paste :)

Edited by goinsleeper, 13 May 2013 - 08:42 PM.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

you know that DirecTV "documentation" (if any) does not (never) matches the reality…. :nono2:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

As previously stated, it can be deactivated in a way that they do not send a recovery kit but that is only when the technician takes it with him.  Technically a CSR could do this for someone who wants to put it on "seasonal vacation" but per policy, a recoverable leased receiver must be sent back to D* upon deactivation.

EDIT: that last part is in my own words, though it kinda looks like copy/paste :)

And technically a CSR could get At Risk :rolling:

Like if they did ever allow this, it would have been at a time before I worked for D*. As since I have worked for them a seasonal vacation on leased equipment has never been allowed. And that is definitely plausible considering they change their polices from time to time. Companies evolve and change :)

Edited by Volatility, 13 May 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

For any CSRs that post here, what does code 1022 means when deactivating a receiver?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   weadjust

weadjust

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for the input. I looked at some D12s on ebay but most listings don't indicate if the receivers are leased or owned. I will probably just get a RF remote and mirror the bedroom TV off of a HR-22 located in an adjacent office.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...