Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home System Causes Loss of Internet Connection

Best Answer mjg , 05 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

I am on my 2nd Westell router, 7550 now.  I have had no problems with staying connected after I assigned static ip's outside of the router's DHCP range to the receivers,  and set the router's DHCP lease time at it's max. which is 99 days on this router.

"Upon further review" I'm going to say that sweep49's suggestion has, in fact, taken care of my problem.  On Jun 1, I reported that I still had a couple of disconnects after implementing sweep49's suggestion. After posting that comment, I rebooted everything, re-ensured IP addresses were outside of the router's DHCP range and re-ensured the lease time was maxed out.  Everthing has been holding steady now for 3 days.  I think I've got it solved!!

Thanks to everyone, especially sweep49, for your responses and suggestions.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mjg

mjg

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

My equipment:  DECA connected to Westell Modem/router, HR24x2 and HR20/deca all connected to a SWM Slimline 3 LNB.  WIN7 computer.

My problem:  When the Deca is connected to the modem/router, I will frequently and randomly lose my network and/or my internet connection.  Sometimes, Windows Network and Sharing center will show just the internet connection is gone, sometimes it also shows my network connection is gone.  When this happens, the yellow warning triangle appears on the network icon on the task bar .  Power cycling the modem will re-establish connection and it may stay good for hours before dropping again. 

It seems like I never sit down to the computer and find the problem.  It seems like the connection only drops when actually navigating to a new web page.  I'll be going along just fine then, out of the blue, "page cannot be found" screen and the network warning triangle appears.

The problem is consistent.  With the DECA connected, my network and internet are unreliable.  With the DECA disconnected, my network and internet connections are rock solid.

I am hoping someone smarter than me has the answer!

Thanks.

Mike

Edited by mjg, 13 May 2013 - 09:55 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,662 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

Are you using a wireless DECA or a DECA BB
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

Think I'm going down the same path.

The router doesn't like the DECA "whatever".

This might be a case for static IPs outside the DHCP reserve range, or maybe just an incompatibility with the router's firmware.

A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   mjg

mjg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

It is wired (DECAA1MR0-01)

#5 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,477 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

Are the lights on the two DECAs green? CCK and HR20 DECAs.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#6 OFFLINE   mjg

mjg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

yes, all 3 leds on both DECA's are green.

#7 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,477 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

Try another port on the router or a temporary known good cable.

#8 OFFLINE   mjg

mjg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

Try another port on the router or a temporary known good cable.

Just tried that, same results.  I'm going to try taking the HR20/deca out of the loop and see how that goes.

#9 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,477 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

Unless disconnecting either the 24 or the DECA on the 20 fixes it, try a different router or possibly a firmware upgrade.

#10 OFFLINE   mjg

mjg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

Removing the DECA/HR20 didn't help

#11 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

I had the same problem with my setup, albeit a little different. I have the HR34/700 connected to 2 HD DVRs and an HD receiver. When my ethernet network died, I tried various diagnostics. Eventually disconnecting the network connection to DTV system. Internet restored. I had just had the Genie installed so I called DTV and installed the wifi device. That seemed to solve the issue. I am relieved that I am not alone with this problem.

#12 OFFLINE   dondude32

dondude32

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

Had the same problem with westell 7500. Put modem in bridge mode and connect a compatible router was my solution.

#13 OFFLINE   thewiremasters

thewiremasters

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

Are any of your directv receivers connected to the Ethernet network by accident?
That would cause a loop and bring down the network
I have seen this on one of my jobs
  • marabunta likes this

#14 OFFLINE   mjg

mjg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

Had the same problem with westell 7500. Put modem in bridge mode and connect a compatible router was my solution.

Sounds like a logical solution.  I may have snag a new router and give this one a try!  Thanks for sharing your fix.

#15 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

I am on my 2nd Westell router, 7550 now.  I have had no problems with staying connected after I assigned static ip's outside of the router's DHCP range to the receivers,  and set the router's DHCP lease time at it's max. which is 99 days on this router.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#16 OFFLINE   mjg

mjg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

I really thought this suggestion had taken care of my problem.  But alas, it was not to be.  I figured out how to implement sweep49's suggestion yesterday morning.  My network/internet connection held good all day  until late last night when it dropped.  Once again, it held up all day today but just dropped off again.  It seems to be more stable than it was before but still, it's dropped off on me a couple of times.

#17 OFFLINE   mjg

mjg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:30 PM   Best Answer

"Upon further review" I'm going to say that sweep49's suggestion has, in fact, taken care of my problem.  On Jun 1, I reported that I still had a couple of disconnects after implementing sweep49's suggestion. After posting that comment, I rebooted everything, re-ensured IP addresses were outside of the router's DHCP range and re-ensured the lease time was maxed out.  Everthing has been holding steady now for 3 days.  I think I've got it solved!!

#18 OFFLINE   dondude32

dondude32

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

I tried this on my westell 7500 and eventually my wired lan connection starts to connect and search constantly. The wireless stays connected. I have to restart PC and it connects on wired lan.. Any suggestions?

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,662 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

What type of receiver do you have? how is connected to the internet?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   dondude32

dondude32

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

What type of receiver do you have? how is connected to the internet?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

4 HD-DVR's  hr24-500, hr21-100 hr23-700 hr20-700  Put all on static ip out of DHCP. Changed lease time to 99 days. DECA connected to black wired cck and cat 5 to modem/router. Works hooked  up with westell in bridge mode and wrt54g running dhcp. Just wanted to see if I could get westell to work.

Edited by dondude32, 14 June 2013 - 08:36 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...