Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home System Causes Loss of Internet Connection

Best Answer mjg , 05 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

I am on my 2nd Westell router, 7550 now.  I have had no problems with staying connected after I assigned static ip's outside of the router's DHCP range to the receivers,  and set the router's DHCP lease time at it's max. which is 99 days on this router.

"Upon further review" I'm going to say that sweep49's suggestion has, in fact, taken care of my problem.  On Jun 1, I reported that I still had a couple of disconnects after implementing sweep49's suggestion. After posting that comment, I rebooted everything, re-ensured IP addresses were outside of the router's DHCP range and re-ensured the lease time was maxed out.  Everthing has been holding steady now for 3 days.  I think I've got it solved!!

Thanks to everyone, especially sweep49, for your responses and suggestions.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:59 PM

If static IP works, does that mean DHCP reservation would avoid this problem as well?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dondude32

dondude32

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Where would that setting be on a westell 7500?

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,376 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

If static IP works, does that mean DHCP reservation would avoid this problem as well?

Which problem? 

Since moving into a new home where I had to get ATT Uverse (but at a very low throughput, under 3 Megs), I've let 'er ride at default values, and have had no internet connection problems— at least none attributable to any DVR.

In other words, the magic of static IPs, which I had for a couple of years, is no more on the Genies in my experience. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

4 HD-DVR's hr24-500, hr21-100 hr23-700 hr20-700 Put all on static ip out of DHCP. Changed lease time to 99 days. DECA connected to black wired cck and cat 5 to modem/router. Works hooked up with westell in bridge mode and wrt54g running dhcp. Just wanted to see if I could get westell to work.

Just for clarification... If you are using static IP addresses (the IP address is set on the device), the lease time does not matter. If you are using DHCP Reservations (the router assigns the IP address, but it is always the same for a device), the lease time is used to refresh the IP address at the end of the lease period.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#25 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

DHCP Reservations should work just as well as static IP addresses, however, sometimes the renewal of the lease for the IP address with DHCP Reservations could still cause a hiccup with things.

For the record, I use DHCP Reservations extensively and try to avoid using static IP addresses. It is a lot easier to manage my network that way.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#26 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

Which problem? 

Since moving into a new home where I had to get ATT Uverse (but at a very low throughput, under 3 Megs), I've let 'er ride at default values, and have had no internet connection problems— at least none attributable to any DVR.

In other words, the magic of static IPs, which I had for a couple of years, is no more on the Genies in my experience. 

The OP's "staying connected" problem. Merge answered my question though (thanks, Merge). I have to support my parent's DirecTV from afar, so I just wanted to confirm the DHCP reservation would not result in a connection issue like the OP. I believe they can live with occasional blips when the IPs renew. I was surprised that automatic DHCP didn't work anymore with DirecTV receivers. It seemed to work fine for me for many years.

Edited by mdavej, 25 June 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,376 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

I was surprised that automatic DHCP didn't work anymore with DirecTV receivers. It seemed to work fine for me for many years.

It's working just fine. Of course, there will be the exception to any statement or condition, but I've not had a problem since moving away from static IPs. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...