Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Michael J. Fox to Play WNBC Anchor in New NBC Comedy

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,218 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

NBC has released the trailer for “The Michael J. Fox Show”, slated to premiere on Thursdays this fall. Fox plays a local WNBC news anchor returning to air five years after he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

Link: http://www.nbc.com/t...fox-show/#Video

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,478 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

This show looks good  :righton:

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

Lets hope it actually is. My main hope is that the Parkinson's angle is more backstory along with occasional aspects of living with the disease. His character needs to be more of living a normal life (or as close to it as possible) with Parkinson's, not a show where the Parkinson's aspect is in the forefront all the time, other than the obvious symptoms.

It's kind of like in Game of Thrones, Tyrion is a character that happens to be a dwarf, but it's generally not a major point.

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

Looks absolutely hilarious.  I'll be recording it but not watching it at first.  I'll wait for it to go a full season before I start watching. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,364 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

Something good ... please don't disappoint me NBC.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

Ok, so what did everyone think?

For myself, I hope it improves. I can't quite say what it was, maybe too many Parkinson's jokes and comments, but it seemed a bit forced. Other shows in the past have gotten better once they develop better chemistry.

Also wondering if the upstairs neighbor is going to be a recurring character, she is his real life wife.

#7 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

My Genie recorded Micheal J. Fox Show on NBC and I liked it.  It's a keeper.  As for the Parkinson's jokes, it's pretty funny.  I have Cerebral Palsy and can relate to the jokes.  It's a different twist on comedy.  

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

But they can't make the entire show out of them. At some point he should just be a guy with Parkinson's. Like Tyrion on Game of Thrones, there are some jokes and jabs at him being a dwarf, but it's not his entire character. Different genre, but I think it still applies.

#9 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

At some point, I hope that the show will develop to something else, but the premises of the show will be his Parkinson.   

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,364 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

They are addressing the elephant in the room. Once they get past that the show may find a future.
  • toobs likes this
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

My Genie recorded Micheal J. Fox Show on NBC and I liked it.  It's a keeper.  As for the Parkinson's jokes, it's pretty funny.  I have Cerebral Palsy and can relate to the jokes.  It's a different twist on comedy.  

I have Cerebral Palsy also. Back in the 70's or early 80's The Facts of Life had a girl with Cerebral Palsy. I didn't see it because I go to bed at 7PM to stretch..I'll watch it on HULU.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#12 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

It was alright, but it was hard to understand him.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#13 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

Oh my God.

How do I say this without offending people who actually liked this? I don’t think I can, although I mean no offense to anyone, except possibly to the writers of this show. Honestly, I am not trying to be contrary for the sake of being contrary, but cut me a break. If you liked it, I am sorry that we may disagree, and I feel sorry for you, too, in the same way we all feel sorry for addicts we are hopeless to save from ultimate self- destruction.

This show was rated in the top 10 by TV Guide and Entertainment Weekly. Matt Roush must either be kidding or on psychedelic drugs. Even with the formidable star power and mad TV skills of the beloved MJF, this is THEE Biggest Stinker in recent memory, bar none. Due to the company I was keeping, I had to sit through both episodes; had I been alone, I would not have made it to act two of ep one. The more I watched, the worse it got. Of course that is just a humble opinion, but an opinion that instead really feels like a fact.

It is just pitifully godawful. Every single line coming out of every actor’s mouth is just ridiculous. It is as if they are all talking, well at least their lips appear to be moving, but not really talking to each other, and only about their own petty issues; each of them is not listening to or responding to anything the others are saying, and who can blame them, because absolutely everything any character says is pointless narcissistic daydreaming, only spoken out loud, and not actual conversation directed at anyone else. Or at least it feels that way.

Every character is extremely self-centered to the point where they can only talk about whatever drifts into their pointed little heads, and whatever that is, is never about anything other than that person’s immediate issues, because they are all too shallow to think of anything else or to be bothered to listen to anyone else. It’s actually frightening how out of touch with each other these people are.

This is a completely dysfunctional universe full of egocentric idiots. A little bit like the internet, or at least the FaceBook/Twitter side of it. The only redeeming character is the 8-year old who says absolutely nothing. It is obvious he is the smart one and can understand that it is pointless to buy into what anyone else says. He is obviously just doing his time in the hope that in 10 years he can escape from this fresh hell and have a real life.

And there is more bad news; for some reason  this is also a wet dream of NBC, who is using it for shameless masturbatory self-promotion of its own existence, as if any one of us is even remotely interested in having the inside workings and inside baseball references of NBC shoved down our throats. Here’s a clue; we really aren’t.

A couple seasons ago there was a show called Man Up, which was two straight guys in drag under the premise that they could get work this way and were that desperate, and it was also a poor ripoff of the Tom Hanks 80’s show with a similar theme (which was actually very good). Man Up was universally panned as being DOA, and deemed the worst show ever put on the air since My Mother The Car (or at least up until that Steven Pasquale Jekyl-Hyde turd appeared last year—Hmmm…same network), but as stupid as it was, Man Up was actually very funny at times, had some real laughs and really great sitcom energy and pacing, and was Masterpiece Theatre compared to this dead-in-the-water debacle. While it at least had redeeming qualities, this excuse for a sitcom has very few, if any.

It is rumored that the schematic for this show was Modern Family, arguably the best sitcom ever. Please. Only if a bunch of know-nothing hacks watched Modern Family and said “Hey, I can do that” (but absolutely could not) and still ripped it off (which they attempted, but also pathetically failed at). TV is as derivative a medium as there has ever been, and it is not unexpected for folks to try to pilfer what works. It is really unusual for them to do it so ineptly that we can hardly even see any comparison, however.

This time, Epic Fail, is not a strong enough description. Train Wreck is not a strong enough description. Douche-Chilling is not a strong enough description.

It is unfathomable how a bankable, likable star of the talent and stature of MJF could allow this to be almost, but not quite, the worst thing to ever happen to him, and I feel that this show has insulted every single handicapped person just by being so exceptionally terrible. They deserve a lot better, as do the rest of us.

Was I just in a bad mood? Nope. Did I even try to go in giving it a break? Yup. Did I have expectations that were artificially too high? Don’t think so. I wasn't realy expecting all that much, but certainly more than this.

I have a system, which is I give a new show 30 minutes to win me over while I count to three significantly stupid or inept lines of dialog (and if the chicks are hot I count to three again), If I get up to three (or six) in 30 minutes I give it a second chance, but if I get beyond three (or six) pretty early, then I’m pretty much out. This time I got to three on line three, and even though there are no hot chicks anywhere to be found in this loser (which is not a requirement, mind you), to six on line six. In 60 minutes I could not find three lines of dialog that were NOT significantly stupid or inept, all totaled. Probably an all-time record.

Adios, MJF, and adios, MF!

I quite obviously immediately cancelled it on my DVR. Now it’s NBC’s turn.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#14 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

Oh my God.

How do I say this without offending people who actually liked this? I don’t think I can, although I mean no offense to anyone, except possibly to the writers of this show. Honestly, I am not trying to be contrary for the sake of being contrary, but cut me a break. If you liked it, I am sorry that we may disagree, and I feel sorry for you, too, in the same way we all feel sorry for addicts we are hopeless to save from ultimate self- destruction.

This show was rated in the top 10 by TV Guide and Entertainment Weekly. Matt Roush must either be kidding or on psychedelic drugs. Even with the formidable star power and mad TV skills of the beloved MJF, this is THEE Biggest Stinker in recent memory, bar none. Due to the company I was keeping, I had to sit through both episodes; had I been alone, I would not have made it to act two of ep one. The more I watched, the worse it got. Of course that is just a humble opinion, but an opinion that instead really feels like a fact.

It is just pitifully godawful. Every single line coming out of every actor’s mouth is just ridiculous. It is as if they are all talking, well at least their lips appear to be moving, but not really talking to each other, and only about their own petty issues; each of them is not listening to or responding to anything the others are saying, and who can blame them, because absolutely everything any character says is pointless narcissistic daydreaming, only spoken out loud, and not actual conversation directed at anyone else. Or at least it feels that way.

Every character is extremely self-centered to the point where they can only talk about whatever drifts into their pointed little heads, and whatever that is, is never about anything other than that person’s immediate issues, because they are all too shallow to think of anything else or to be bothered to listen to anyone else. It’s actually frightening how out of touch with each other these people are.

This is a completely dysfunctional universe full of egocentric idiots. A little bit like the internet, or at least the FaceBook/Twitter side of it. The only redeeming character is the 8-year old who says absolutely nothing. It is obvious he is the smart one and can understand that it is pointless to buy into what anyone else says. He is obviously just doing his time in the hope that in 10 years he can escape from this fresh hell and have a real life.

And there is more bad news; for some reason  this is also a wet dream of NBC, who is using it for shameless masturbatory self-promotion of its own existence, as if any one of us is even remotely interested in having the inside workings and inside baseball references of NBC shoved down our throats. Here’s a clue; we really aren’t.

A couple seasons ago there was a show called Man Up, which was two straight guys in drag under the premise that they could get work this way and were that desperate, and it was also a poor ripoff of the Tom Hanks 80’s show with a similar theme (which was actually very good). Man Up was universally panned as being DOA, and deemed the worst show ever put on the air since My Mother The Car (or at least up until that Steven Pasquale Jekyl-Hyde turd appeared last year—Hmmm…same network), but as stupid as it was, Man Up was actually very funny at times, had some real laughs and really great sitcom energy and pacing, and was Masterpiece Theatre compared to this dead-in-the-water debacle. While it at least had redeeming qualities, this excuse for a sitcom has very few, if any.

It is rumored that the schematic for this show was Modern Family, arguably the best sitcom ever. Please. Only if a bunch of know-nothing hacks watched Modern Family and said “Hey, I can do that” (but absolutely could not) and still ripped it off (which they attempted, but also pathetically failed at). TV is as derivative a medium as there has ever been, and it is not unexpected for folks to try to pilfer what works. It is really unusual for them to do it so ineptly that we can hardly even see any comparison, however.

This time, Epic Fail, is not a strong enough description. Train Wreck is not a strong enough description. Douche-Chilling is not a strong enough description.

It is unfathomable how a bankable, likable star of the talent and stature of MJF could allow this to be almost, but not quite, the worst thing to ever happen to him, and I feel that this show has insulted every single handicapped person just by being so exceptionally terrible. They deserve a lot better, as do the rest of us.

Was I just in a bad mood? Nope. Did I even try to go in giving it a break? Yup. Did I have expectations that were artificially too high? Don’t think so. I wasn't realy expecting all that much, but certainly more than this.

I have a system, which is I give a new show 30 minutes to win me over while I count to three significantly stupid or inept lines of dialog (and if the chicks are hot I count to three again), If I get up to three (or six) in 30 minutes I give it a second chance, but if I get beyond three (or six) pretty early, then I’m pretty much out. This time I got to three on line three, and even though there are no hot chicks anywhere to be found in this loser (which is not a requirement, mind you), to six on line six. In 60 minutes I could not find three lines of dialog that were NOT significantly stupid or inept, all totaled. Probably an all-time record.

Adios, MJF, and adios, MF!

I quite obviously immediately cancelled it on my DVR. Now it’s NBC’s turn.

Tell us how you really feel. :)

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,364 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

When someone posts a 1023 word message please don't full quote it. As with any message, quote only what is needed for your response. Thanks.

As for the message ... too many words. Thou doth protest too much. I'm glad you removed the series from your DVR. Now you're not watching hopefully we won't have to hear how much the series sucks after every episode.
  • RunnerFL and sigma1914 like this

#16 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

Will do it next time.

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,325 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:10 AM

They are addressing the elephant in the room. Once they get past that the show may find a future.

I agree. It's a sitcom that was pretty well written. The star has a disability that developed when he was young. He's not of a racial minority nor is he gay. However, he is a member of a group that is discriminated against because many (most?) people are uncomfortable with the disabled (no I'm not going to use something PC like physically challenged). He's a man who will be funny in this role and maybe, just maybe, do for a group of our fellow citizens what "Will & Grace" did for another group that was descriminated against. I hope so.
  • sigma1914 likes this

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

If we can get more to accept people with various disorders as just a person, the better. It's also a thing I liked in Breaking Bad, having an actor with CP.

#19 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

... too many words. Thou doth protest too much.

That paraphrase of Shakespeare refers to someone overprotesting to cover their potential guilt or lie, not to someone having a lot to say. Not understanding that basic fact could one day seriously undermine your credibility. The post is long only because there is that much wrong with the show, and only IMHO. Sorry about that, but then I am not one of the writing staff.

You don't have to worry about continued whining, as I am embarrased to have to tell an unpopular truth in the first place, and I am on record right here as never having done that, other than possibly in defense of a personal attack. Continued whining (as well as attacks) happens too commonly, I grant you; still, bad form. That said, you are free to bring arguments as to why each statement might be wrong, and I am happy to listen to those with an open mind. Convince me to give it a second, ,,,err, third chance. Change my mind. Win me over. So far, no takers.

Ratings blew, BTW.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,364 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

Personally I enjoy the show. I don't need to convince anyone on the Internet that they should enjoy the show in order to enhance my enjoyment. I'd rather spend that hour watching TV.
  • sigma1914 likes this

spam firewall