Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Recommendation for a free labels printing program?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

Can anyone recommend a label printing program that is both easy to use and, preferably, free? I occasionally have to print a batch of labels, each with its own unique mailing address, and Word just doesn't cut it. I use standard Avery size 5160 99% of the time, but it'd be nice to use a program that offers various sizes on which to print. I've tried a few from the Internet over the years, but there's always something with each that doesn't work, or worse, when you download one of the freebies, you download a bunch of garbage, viruses, etc., and I wish to avoid that.

Thanks in advance for recommendations.

• billsharpe likes this

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:03 AM

Word is working for me, sending to laser printer loaded with envelopes...

#3 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:41 AM

I can't get Word to do more than one label at a time, and that's on label sheets only.

I also need the capability to change fonts and more.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#4 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:23 AM

You can download free templates for Word from Avery. Just did that yesterday.

Watch out, the installer wants to install extra stuff.

#5 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:26 AM

Avery DesignPro is a good FREE program which I recommend to my family and friends that is easy to use.. .  I recently discovered that Avery also has a free online program which has a considerable number of features and may accomplish what you want.

• olguy likes this

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

I always advise caution in downloading free stuff.  I had a download from a manufacturer (that I was contemplating purchasing an $80,000 irrigator from) and it hijacked my browser and toolbar.  Don't think there was a virus or trojan in it, but getting my laptop back to my preferences was a huge PITA.

Strictly speaking, it was not the manufacturers fault, they had a third party doling out their free software, and it was that outfit that loaded up the download with all kinds of crappola.

#7 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

I second that, gov, but I'll at least take a look at Design Pro.

#8 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,221 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

Can anyone recommend a label printing program that is both easy to use and, preferably, free? I occasionally have to print a batch of labels, each with its own unique mailing address, and Word just doesn't cut it. I use standard Avery size 5160 99% of the time, but it'd be nice to use a program that offers various sizes on which to print. I've tried a few from the Internet over the years, but there's always something with each that doesn't work, or worse, when you download one of the freebies, you download a bunch of garbage, viruses, etc., and I wish to avoid that.

Thanks in advance for recommendations.

Create your labels in Excel and use Word's mail-merge feature to create labels. You can specify the size of the label and the fonts as desired. Persoally I've been using Access for many years for my Christmas card labels, but that's a bit more complicated and not all versions of Office include Access.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#9 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

Excel? I barely know how to use that confusing program!

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

not that hard to learn it ;)

#11 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

It's not that easy, either, and something for which I do not have the time--literally. 

#12 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

I've been very happy using Word.  You said you can't get Word to do more than one label at a time.

When you bring up the Label (see attached screen shot), under Options you can select almost any label you want or make your own (most labels I buy contain a sheet with the exact measurements you need to set up your own template).

Also in Word, instead of "Full Page of the same Label", you can do one label and specify where to print (3rd row down, middle column). I always have a sheet of 5160s with some used labels that I'll re-use when I just need a few labels. 

Or you can click on "New Document" and it brings up a blank template where you can cut & paste your data, change fonts and even insert pictures.

It is pretty flexible and since you already have Word, 'free'.

Attached Thumbnails

• Word Labels.PNG

#13 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

The problem with that option in Word is that it only lets me print either one label, with which I have no issue, or multiple copies of the same label, which is a problem if I'm trying to print, say, labels of a few dozen different people and addresses.

#14 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

my sister setup a macro for my dad to do just that (he runs an organist group).. would have to check how it works tho.. just know it can be done pretty easy..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#15 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

Not if you select the "New Document" near the bottom center of the label pop-up. 

Then you can paste/type in your data and do whatever you want. 

Or use Excel to maintain your few dozen people and addresses and do a mail merge as billsharpe suggested.

#16 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

And then if you are printing the labels for the same group, you can save the Word file and reuse it as needed (but you can open and edit the file for any changes).

#17 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

I'll give that a shot when I next am doing this. Thanks

#18 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

You're asking for a mail merge. Make a list in Excel. Name, address, city, state, zip in columns.

Use the label wizard in Word and point it at the excel sheet.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#19 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,221 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

It's not that easy, either, and something for which I do not have the time--literally. 

As Rasputin says, it is relatively easy, I assume you already have Excel but haven't bothered to use it at all. A Google search for "word mail merge labels from Excel" will provide detailed instructions.

Or trh's suggestion for using New Document works too. You can then type or paste the names and addresses on the labels displayed. Be sure to save the resulting document so that you can reuse/edit the list later.

Edited by billsharpe, 15 May 2013 - 11:38 AM.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#20 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

Mail merge with Word, I just use Outlook to maintain the mailing list.  I did it for my parent years ago for their Christmas Card mailing list.  They maintain the addresses in Outlook, then do a mail merge into a Word document.  They've been doing it that way for over 10 years migrating through multiple versions of Office as well.  And lets just say they are not the most technical of folks now that they are nearing 70.  it really doesnt get much easier and its extremely flexible.

spam firewall