Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New THR22 Software Downloaded Today

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

New load  01B5.

Anyone know what improvements it added or what it fixed?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

No improvements just OD fix and some other stability.

#3 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

There's already a thread for this http://www.dbstalk.c...suesdiscussion/

#4 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

So after more than a year and a half they didn't address any of the major complaints.

Guess that really shows that D* really doesn't care about the subscribers that own these boxes.

D* adatude about these is "you wanted a TiVo DVR, and that is what you got. IF you want more features, upgrade to our DVR"!

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

Naked truth.
  • Rtm likes this

#6 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

Sadly, I don't think they will ever release a build that looks, functions and operates identically to Tivo Premiere 20.2.2.  That could cannibalize genie sales, so that's a big no no.

Hey this isn't a cell phone company where you can buy Androids, Iphones, Windows Phones, and others.  TV is generally, you don't like the software, go to Dish, Cable, IPTV, or whatever else you can get your hands on (Windows Media Center maybe???).

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#7 OFFLINE   mannye

mannye

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

I swear I'm about to sh!t can the whole thing and just go OTA.  I have it (OTA) as a backup and the picture quality is amazing.  The HR22 based Tivo is crippled by DirecTV.  As much as I like Tivo, I may switch over to Genie for the whole house and keep the the HR22 Tivo for the garage TV. 

#8 OFFLINE   mannye

mannye

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

Wow, this can't be the first post I've ever made here...  I've been a member for like 7 years

#9 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

If i could get priatine amazing clear hdtv OTA ,I would be tempted to swtich to an ota antenna,then i would get neflix hulu plus,and rent bluray movies from my local redbox. But unfotunetly i cant receive a good ota signal so i'll ethier stay with verizon or go back to directv .

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,479 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

The blame isn't all on DirecTV, a good portion is on Tivo, they write the software. DirecTV could also be more aggressive in making Tivo fix issues as well.

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

Just out of curiosity, what do you think DIRECTV could do to force TiVo to fix things faster? If I recall, it took TiVo about 3 years just to deliver the product they did.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

DirecTV would have to open up and work WITH Tivo and sign NDA's and trust tivo with it's intellectual property to add its tuning scheme, deca, firmware stuff, swm control stuff, guide data stuff, etc... and design that whole backend seciton into this box:

http://www.tivo.com/...urce/index.html

Then have a real partnership like those 9 Cable MSO's there that use real updated Tivo software (sans netflix/amazon).  They also work with the MSO's to integrate video on demand access.

I don't think the HR22 is powerful enough to run Tivo Premier 20.x and newer.  CPU, RAM, the combination of it, whatever.  I think if a flagship product with the same cpu instruction set and capabilities to that of an actual Tivo Premiere set top, would have made it much easier for Tivo to port its main code branch into DirecTV's custom branch.  Right now its like porting ARM to Motorola 68k.  Not easy!

Seems like Tivo's focus is its flagship product, and why wouldn't it be?  It's available not only through a partnership with those 9 MSO's listed (and counting), but also at retail where it can be used on any cable company in the entire country, along with appropriate cable card.

I say replace the cable card slot with a DirecTV access card slot, and replace the tuner can in the rear with a SWM tuner can, and you got a current Tivo product on DirecTV.

Now THAT is a guide.  8 channels by 2 hours and it looks fine.

hdui_quatro_gridguide_398x224.jpg

Edited by cypherx, 18 June 2013 - 06:59 AM.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,479 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

Just out of curiosity, what do you think DIRECTV could do to force TiVo to fix things faster? If I recall, it took TiVo about 3 years just to deliver the product they did.

There's not much they could do. The only thing they possibly could have done is put metrics into the contract that a confirmed issue in the software had to be fixed within a certain timeframe, but that would get so complex, it probably could never happen.

If the box was out there in more homes, and there was an issue that was causing a lot of calls to DirecTV, I hope they'd be able to kick it up to Tivo and not let them sit on it for a year or more without reason.

For some reason I'm drawing a complete blank on who writes the software for DirecTV's older boxes, but the average customer thinks DirecTV has more to do with it than is reality. 

#14 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

For some reason I'm drawing a complete blank on who writes the software for DirecTV's older boxes, but the average customer thinks DirecTV has more to do with it than is reality. 

NDS writes the older software.  DirecTV and NDS also renewed their contract a year ago I wanna say?

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,479 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

That's it. I knew it was a three letter acronym, but could not come up with it.

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

The renewal had a lot to do with their access card stuff I believe, as I think they do something with that. The boxes that still run nds software are pretty stagnate now I think.

Look, TiVo is one debacle after another all caused by their own doing. I not just talking DIRECTV, I'm talking everything they do. If they had half a brain, they'd ask if they could port their latest software to a hr44 genie system. That'd be a product they'd have a chance to sell in real quantity.

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

How long do you think it would take to do that? 

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

Hey, depends on how much they cared. With a product that could actually sell, if they put a lot of resources behind it, maybe before 2017.. If not, 2020? Yeah, I do think they are that bad at all this. If they get Hulu, they won't care one iota about any deals like this anymore.

spam firewall