Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I just swap a SL3 LNB onto an SL5 Dish?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PHRoberts

PHRoberts

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

I'm not entirely sure I'm using the correct terms here, so I have included pictures.

I would like to add a dish to an outbuilding vs. running a long run of RG6.  I have access to an older Slimline dish that I think is called the SL5 - three feed horns on the LNB - but I would like to run just one RG6 cable into the outbuilding from the dish, so I assume I'd need the SL3 setup for this.  Also, since it's just going to have only one receiver attached to the dish, would I need to use a power inserter with the SL3 LNB (if it'll work on the old dish)?  Here's some pictures... the first one is the old dish I have access to that I think is called the SL5.

IMG_20130329_174414.jpg

And a picture of what I think is called the SL3 setup on a neighbor's roof.

IMG_20130329_174440.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,739 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

Yes, you can use the SL3. If you are wanting to use just one coax it has to be the SWM version Edit / Added: to run more than one tuner ( DVRs have 2 tuners ). The older version still uses the 4 coax cables.

It is possible that there is some programming that you will not get using the SL3 in place of the SL5. Most of the type you would possibly miss is a few channels of the radio stuff and possibly Spanish speaking programming.
If you don't do or care about either one of these items there will be no difference.

You will need to go thru the satellite setup for this receiver with the SL3 SWM dish.

Edited by jimmie57, 14 May 2013 - 11:30 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,230 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

You can use the SL-5 with a legacy LNB (the ones with four outputs) and only one cable run to a single receiver configured in legacy mode with a B Band Converter.

Unless the receiver is an H25 or HR34/44 Genie model which can only be used in SWiM only installs.  

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,954 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

"since it's just going to have only one receiver"

DVR or just a tuner?

"Just a tuner" means what you already have only needs one coax.

DVR means you want SWiM, but don't care about SL3 or SL5. 

A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   PHRoberts

PHRoberts

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

Actually it will be a DVR - HR24/500.  Would I need the power inserter for that if it's the only receiver on that dish? 

Thanks!

Edited by PHRoberts, 14 May 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,739 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Actually it will be a DVR - HR24/500.  Would I need the power inserter for that if it's the only receiver on that dish? 

Thanks!

Yes, the power inserter powers the LNB for the SWM system.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

Thanks!

To be clear if the LNB on the outbuilding SL-5 is a SWiM type (single output) you can operate both tuners on a single line from the dish to a DVR like the HR24 but will need a PI to power it. But if the LNB is a legacy 4 output type, you will need two lines from the dish to the DVR with BBCs on each line, otherwise you will have to configure the DVR for single tuner mode during the receiver setup. 

Edited by HoTat2, 14 May 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

the dish "reflector" can be "paired" with any of 4 LNB types.  The LNB you used is determined on what package you have and where you locals comes from, and in your case ease of installation 

SL3 sees 99, 101, 103. with this type your HR24 would need two cables and a pair of BBC modules.

SL5 sees 99, 101, 103. 110, 119.  with this type your HR24 would need two cables and a pair of BBC modules.

SL3S  SWM sees 99, 101, 103. with this type your HR24 would need one cable and a 21v power supply

SL5S SWM  sees 99, 101, 103, 110, 119 . with this type your HR24 would need one cable and a 21v power supply

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   PHRoberts

PHRoberts

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

Thanks again for the clarification - I really appreciate everyone's help!  I'm leaning toward just keeping the SL5 with the BBC modules and running two wires...  Will my receiver freak out seeing that since it'll be coming from a room in the house that's currently seeing SL3S?

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

Thanks again for the clarification - I really appreciate everyone's help!  I'm leaning toward just keeping the SL5 with the BBC modules and running two wires...  Will my receiver freak out seeing that since it'll be coming from a room in the house that's currently seeing SL3S?

You will have to rerun the satellite setup for the HR24 in the outbuilding and select the "SL-5/Multiswitch" (without the "S" letter ending) option when prompted to by the particular screen during the setup process.

Note: Sometimes DIRECTV receivers may be a little stubborn when reverting from SWiM back to legacy configuration and may require a receiver restart or two after setup is completed for legacy mode. 

#11 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,804 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

Having recently gone through converting to SWM and having reason to convert a couple receivers back and forth during the process, I found the trick is to make sure the receiver is powered up on the "old" configuration (SWM in PHRoberts' case)  Then after you swap the LNB you can install the BBCs and go into the menu and should have no problem configuring it for non-SWM.

If you try to start up a receiver that expects SWM but is non-SWM, or vice versa, sometimes it'll say its searching for satellite signal and refuse to let you change the configuration. Going into the menu there's only one item, Setup, and going into that takes you straight to the signal strength screen. Quite frustrating until I figured out the trick :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

Protected By... spam firewall...And...