Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

National PBS/CW

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Whammer1249

Whammer1249

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

I receive my local channels. I am also grandfathered to receive the 4 major out of market national networks. Are their different standards to add the national PBS and CW than there are for the 4 major networks? Or because I already receive the locals is there no way to add them?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

I receive my local channels. I am also grandfathered to receive the 4 major out of market national networks. Are their different standards to add the national PBS and CW than there are for the 4 major networks? Or because I already receive the locals is there no way to add them?

Because you receive locals, your waiver would probably be denied.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#3 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

there's no way to add them. Your grandfather rights to the national networks are "frozen", and under current FCC rules you are not allowed the national PBS/CW networks.

#4 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

there's no way to add them. Your grandfather rights to the national networks are "frozen", and under current FCC rules you are not allowed the national PBS/CW networks.

Should he ever lose PBS or CW, he most definitely can apply for the DNS feeds of the stations.  I have all major DNS feeds as well as both CW and PBS and my locals as I am grandfathered in as well.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#5 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

If you lose PBS or CW because you move and they are not available as part of your locals, you can apply for the national feeds, using the current waiver rules.

#6 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

Just curious.. we've received PBS National on channel 379 (or around there) for years...  it still surprises me that this channel isn't offered in HD yet.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#7 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

What do you mean by "grandfathered"?  I had the DNS stations too back before DirecTV carried the Reno stations (except for FOX because it was owned by a DB from San Francisco who denied all waivers regardless of signal strength).  After we got the Reno stations, we lost the DNS stations.  I was told we could not have access to those stations because we had locals.  

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#8 OFFLINE   Whammer1249

Whammer1249

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

What do you mean by "grandfathered"?  I had the DNS stations too back before DirecTV carried the Reno stations (except for FOX because it was owned by a DB from San Francisco who denied all waivers regardless of signal strength).  After we got the Reno stations, we lost the DNS stations.  I was told we could not have access to those stations because we had locals.  

Before DirecTV added our locals (for an extra $3/mo.) they sent a letter saying that we had the right to keep the DNS stations, but we MUST subscribe to the locals when they are added. The letter said that if we were to ever drop the DNS stations, we would not be able to ever get them back.

#9 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

When the newest Satellite (DNS) laws were written, it was stated that anyone who had DNS feeds by the day the law went into effect and your DMA's local channels were not available yet, you were grandfathered in and DirecTV was not required to remove them when your DMA's locals did launch down the road.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Perhaps time to get an Apple TV

http://www.engadget....mpaign=Engadget

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...