Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why can't the McLaughlin Group get its formatting together?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Marcus Welby

Marcus Welby

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

I don't know if it's the local PBS station (WTTW Chicago) that's having all the problems or if it's the feed that they get it from, but why oh why can't I view the McLaughlin Group in a proper format? That show seems to be the single holdout when it comes to converting to the 21st century. One week, it's letterboxed AND pillarboxed (stamp-o-vision). The next week it's full 16:9 but stretched. Two weeks ago it was 16:9 but cropped top and bottom. This past week it was letterboxed but stretched to the sides. I mean it's literally different every week! All I want is a standard 4:3 picture with pillarboxes. Is that so hard? It's like that fiasco that the History Channel had a couple of years ago with all the formatting problems. Who's to blame for this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

A  subsidiary gripe:

if a show has black bars on all four sides, and is actually 16:9, just smaller, there should be a setting on my TV that will blow it up perfectly to fit the screen.

(yeah, I've got a plasma)

:righton:

#3 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

Crop setting on the Genie is what I use when watching "stamp-o-vision" on EWTN.

Edited by machavez00, 16 May 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,197 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

A  subsidiary gripe:

if a show has black bars on all four sides, and is actually 16:9, just smaller, there should be a setting on my TV that will blow it up perfectly to fit the screen.

(yeah, I've got a plasma)

:righton:

The "zoom" setting on the Dish receiver seems to do the trick for that.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...