Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Background music on part-time HD RSN channels

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 120 posts
  • LocationKC area

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

Aaargh!  I am so sick of the snippets of "music" they use as background on the part-time HD sports channels when they are off the air.  Can they not somehow tie these to one of the music channels?   Same ones playing over-and-over for the last 5 years!  I guess this is just their way of saying "Change the channel, dumbass!"

HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,389 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:47 AM

So why are you watching channels that are off the air? Sometimes when I first turn on the TV the NHLCI channel I was watching the previous night is tuned in, but it takes me less than one bar of the music to realize this and change the channel. Certainly not long enough to recognize the music that has been playing for five years.

Maybe it has something to do with music royalty payments?

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

Unbelievable. On another thread there are people complaining about a new icon in the Search & Browse menu. Now we have someone complaining about background music on a channel that's not broadcasting.

• n3ntj likes this

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts
  • LocationKC area

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

672-1 only broadcasts the Royals.  They flip it off immediately when the game is over, and don't turn it on again until the pregame show.  So, it's only for a couple of minutes.  Still long enough over 5 years to know every "snippet".  I think the SD channel is tied to one of the music channels, why can't the HD channel be too?

HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

#5 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,307 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Aaargh!  I am so sick of the snippets of "music" they use as background on the part-time HD sports channels when they are off the air.  Can they not somehow tie these to one of the music channels?   Same ones playing over-and-over for the last 5 years!  I guess this is just their way of saying "Change the channel, dumbass!"

...and your mute button doesn't work?

This is the most minor complaint I have come across in years of following this forum.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#6 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding! lol

Baffling.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,289 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

#firstworldproblem. Lol
  • sigma1914 likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

Unbelievable. On another thread there are people complaining about a new icon in the Search & Browse menu. Now we have someone complaining about background music on a channel that's not broadcasting.

+1  (this is funny)

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#9 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

Gee, most people complain about Sonic Tap but now this!!! :icon_band

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#10 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

Best thread ever.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

Best thread ever.

+1

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 ONLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

IIANM, maybe back in the 90s, the dead channel bumper music might have been one of the old MC channels, like easy listening or lite jazz or something.  I am sure somebody at D* has to keep track of this, and it's their career path. Come in every day, and make sure its all working and the paperwork is current.   Not sure how they're evaluated come raise time . . . 

Probably a Dilbert cartoon here.

!rolling

#13 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

I can see how the board meeting at Directv is going now...

"Mike, we have received a compliant about the background music on the part-time sports channels is old and annoying...

Mike: "Ellen, we need to do something about that, i don't care about budget i want something done about that right away"

!rolling

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#14 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

You know, I remember real songs being played as recently as a few years ago. Post HD. I remember because I switched between a full up HD turned off part time channel and the music channel it was running and was stunned at the difference.

If I remember correctly, it was when they were using XM, so there may be a contractual aspect to this. Maybe they cannot use Sonic Tap channels in the same way and rather than program their own, they just play the loop.

(I also remember that the turned off channel was in HD. I think they are all SD now but I doubt that plays a part.)

Edited by tonyd79, 20 May 2013 - 08:59 PM.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#15 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

There IS one thing they should do here - turn the volume way down!

DirecTV customer since 1996

#16 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

I can see how the board meeting at Directv is going now...

"Mike, we have received a compliant about the background music on the part-time sports channels is old and annoying...

Mike: "Ellen, we need to do something about that, i don't care about budget i want something done about that right away"

"Just don't put Holidays and Happenings  Sonic Tap on those channels.  We want to make sure customers subscribe to "Ultimate" before we give them any holiday music!!!"

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#17 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Here's the issue - I'll be watching a baseball game on channel 723-1 (for example).  Turn off the TV when it's time for bed...

Next day, it's still on 723-1 when I turn it on, and the music is playing amazing loudly.  I play the audio through a nice home theater system (Denon/Mirage OM-6/etc), and I fear that the sudden HIGH volume of music will pop my speakers.

Obviously, I try to remember to always mute when I turn on the system, but should I really need to do this?

DirecTV customer since 1996

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

I have  a Denon AVR that every time I turn it on, it lowers (sets) the volume to a "considerable" level

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

Unless you are at a very high volume, it won't pop your speakers. (Think Marty McFly in Back to the Future) It will startle the crap out of you.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...