Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV iPhone App Update Available (2.5.0 - May 15, 2013)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,475 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

What's New in Version 2.5.0

Search and discover entertainment with the power of your voice. 
- Just talk as you would to a person and the app finds what you’re looking for.
- Search for programs by mentioning title, channel, keyword, actor, time frame, genre and more.
- Switch to TV mode to see your dialogue and search results on your TV screen. HD DVR (HR24+) required. Your phone and HD DVR must be connected to same Wi-Fi network.
- See personalized recommendations as soon as you switch to TV mode.

mzl.leeiauda.320x480-75.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

Any more of this "HR24+"-type restriction showing up is going to make me require an HR24+ at every set.

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,432 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

Any more of this "HR24+"-type restriction showing up is going to make me require an HR24+ at every set.

Turns out you can voice search and schedule a recording on any HR2x, using your iPhone display. You can only optionally view Voice Control search results on an HR24- or Genie-connected display, however.

In case folks missed it, there's a Voice Control "First Look" here: http://www.dbstalk.c...l/#entry3124065

and a cool video demo here:

/steve

#4 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

Turns out you can voice search and schedule a recording on any HR2x, using your iPhone display. You can only optionally view Voice Control search results on an HR24- or Genie-connected display, however.

In case folks missed it, there's a Voice Control "First Look" here: http://www.dbstalk.c...l/#entry3124065

Yes, I get that, but D*'s insistence that the HR2x's are all equivalent was merely annoying before.  It's now getting a bit silly...

#5 OFFLINE   videoboy77

videoboy77

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

This is a cute demo but it's so slow and clunky I won't ever use it.

Why doesn't the iphone app have the remote control feature the iPad app has? That seems easy to do.

#6 OFFLINE   badgerdog

badgerdog

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

I cannot get the iPhone app to listen to me (same situation with my wife but that is for a different forum).

When I tap the screen and start speaking, the app returns immediately with:

<inaudible> and "Sorry, I didn't quite get that. Please try again." (or a similar message passively indicating failure).

I am using an iPhone 4s on wifi and have tried the function with and without Jawbone headset.

Any tips?

2013-05-15%2009.50.01.png

Edited by badgerdog, 15 May 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Linxs

Linxs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

I didn't hear the voice feedback thats in the video. I found it in settings to turn it on and oddly enough its not using a man's voice. Its using Siri's voice.

Edited by Linxs, 15 May 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,432 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

I didn't hear the voice feedback thats in video was in the video. It found in settings to turn it on and oddly enough its not using a man's voice. Its using Siri's voice.

I'm also hearing her on my iPhone 4, which is not a Siri-supported device. Could be her voice file is a stock feature of iOS that developers can utilize.

/steve

#9 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,183 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

I'm getting a mixture of male / Siri responses.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#10 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Siri's voice is also the navigation voice in the Waze™ app if you do not change from defaults.  Waze™ works on non-siri devices as well.  I think its a stock voice.

Anyway this app is nice.  Good feature that can make searching a tad bit faster than triple tap.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#11 OFFLINE   Swanni

Swanni

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNorth beach

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

I used Voice Search for about 10 minutes today; found it inconsistent, but intriguing. Like Apple's Siri, it can get frustrating if you search for terms with long names, etc. But it does well with short names, etc., like 'Find Tom Cruise.'
Here's my review:
http://www.tvpredict...voice051513.htm

#12 OFFLINE   Swanni

Swanni

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNorth beach

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

@directvservice just tweeted that improvements are coming...

#13 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,315 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

Anyone try it with their iphone jailbroken and using xcon?  the DirecTV app is working currently as xcon just released an update recently.  I am not going to update the app and have it not work again.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,709 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

I'm getting a mixture of male / Siri responses.

Same here

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

Anyone try it with their iphone jailbroken and using xcon?  the DirecTV app is working currently as xcon just released an update recently.  I am not going to update the app and have it not work again.

Works perfectly fine with JB and XCON. 

#16 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

It's a little hard to control the on screen results when swiping on the iPhone. I notice I overshoot quite often. It's a little touchy. Though the GUI animation is nice. Cover flow would have been cool to see on the TV, but it works. I thought you were supposed to be able to tell it to turn to a channel? I said turn to channel 6 and it just showed me programs scheduled on channel 6. I said "ESPN" hoping it would offer to tune to ESPN ; useful if you don't remember the number. Nope... It just showed programs that air on ESPN. I then said "Disney junior". It said no matches found.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#17 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:21 AM

Yes, works fine with latest version on xcon

#18 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,183 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:12 AM

I've used 'Change to Channel 2 0 2 ' instead of tune. . .

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#19 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

I cannot get the iPhone app to listen to me (same situation with my wife but that is for a different forum).

When I tap the screen and start speaking, the app returns immediately with:

<inaudible> and "Sorry, I didn't quite get that. Please try again." (or a similar message passively indicating failure).

I am using an iPhone 4s on wifi and have tried the function with and without Jawbone headset.

Any tips?

I had the exact same experience when I was on 4G/LTE.  Once I was on the same Wi-Fi network it started working.

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

I had the exact same experience when I was on 4G/LTE.  Once I was on the same Wi-Fi network it started working.

Ya, the voice feature only works in the same network as your DVR

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall