Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Equipment Rquirements

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   WTNewton

WTNewton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOcotillo Wells, Ca

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

What equipment is needed to receive HD?
Here is what I currently have ....
Slimline Dish
SL3S-4NR2-02 LNB
ONE MSPLIT4-R1
ONE PI21R1-03
Four D12-100 STD Recievers

The recievers tell me I am recieving signals from the 101(A) and SWM satelites.. 101 is 92 or above on all transponders except for 4 of them, and SWM is at 93 or above for all 9 transponders.

I also have a R22-100 STD DVR without a card.

So, what else do I need to get HD to one TV and a HD DVR. There are so many different types of equipment that it is hard to know what to get. D* says I need to have a new dish, a new install, new recievers, purchase a DVR and have a professional installation all done. I try to tell them what I have, but they say it all needs to be replaced.

By the way, current installed system works fine, no issues or problems!

Thanks in advance for help!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

You don't need a new dish, your dish and LNB are exactly what you'd get as a new customer getting a new install, anything from SD only like you have now to getting a Genie installed. There's no need to replace those D12s if you're fine with SD on the other TVs.

You should be able to just order a DVR from Directv. I don't know if they'd want to have it "installed" or just ship it to you. If they ship it to you, you should be able to just swap out one D12 for it and you're good to go. Your bill would go up to reflect the addition of HD/DVR service to your account.

That R22 you have is actually an HD capable DVR. You could call Directv and ask to buy an access card for it, they'd be able tell you whether you can activate it on your account (depends on how exactly you acquired it) If you can, you would have no up front charges aside from the price of the card, and of course the additional monthly charges.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   WTNewton

WTNewton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:36 PM

I got the R22 at a thrift store, box, cables, books, and remote. Paid ten dollars for it. I just do not understand why D* insisted I needed a new satellite dish and a whole new install. If I send back a D12 Box then that 6$ monthly charge goes away and the new 10$ HD box charge kicks in, right?

What HD Reciever should I ask for? Will the R22 box also work as an HD receiver in addition to doing its dvr functions?

If I can talk them into it ... Would the Genie be the best to ask for? I have only had Ditectv for about 6 months and declined all the none STD install stuff when they offered it. Little did I know that they would not actually broadcast HD in their packages without special equipment.

Thank you for your reply!

#4 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

Doesn't matter where you got it, what matters is whether Directv considers it owned or leased. If you call and ask for the access card department and provide them the serial number off the receiver, they can tell you if it is owned. If it isn't, it is just a paperweight to you. Not to mention it may have ended up in the thrift shop because it doesn't work properly.

Best thing you can do is call Directv and ask them what kind of deal they'll make you. Probably not much if you have only been a customer for six months. You get the best deals as a new customer, you don't have much of a bargaining position now.

If the R22 is owned you can buy a new card for $20 and see if it works. It'll act as an HD receiver as well as an HD-DVR. You'll pay fees for HD service and DVR service, together it will add $20/month or so to your bill. You'll save $6/month sending back one D12 but you'll pay an additional $6/month for whatever replaces it - whether it is an R22 you own or a DVR you lease - so you break even on receiver charges.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#5 OFFLINE   WTNewton

WTNewton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:02 AM

Thank you!

#6 OFFLINE   WTNewton

WTNewton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

Just to be sure ....
My DVR is for sure a R22-100 and not a HR22-100 ...
Does that make a difference for HD?

#7 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:21 AM

Unless DTV has recently changed policy they will NOT activate the HD services on an account without an H or HR series box active. The R22 doesn't qualify for HD without another H or HR series box on account. If you get another H or HR series box only then will you get the HD enabled on the R22.

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:27 AM

Unless DTV has recently changed policy they will NOT activate the HD services on an account without an H or HR series box active. The R22 doesn't qualify for HD without another H or HR series box on account. If you get another H or HR series box only then will you get the HD enabled on the R22.

They haven't changed;

The TS will need at least one other active H/HR2X receiver on the account to activate the HD capability on the R22.

The good part here is that the TS's installation appears to have been future proofed for an HD upgrade by merely adding HD receivers (HD STBs and/or DVRs) with maybe swapping out D12s to keep the aggregate tuner count at or below eight. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,727 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:23 AM

Just to be sure ....
My DVR is for sure a R22-100 and not a HR22-100 ...
Does that make a difference for HD?

The R22 is essentially an HR21. Only real difference is that it does not qualify as one of the required receivers for Whole Home. You need one HD DVR and one other HD box. The R22 even in HD mode doesn't meet this requirement as their system still considers it SD.

#10 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

Doesn't matter where you got it, what matters is whether Directv considers it owned or leased. If you call and ask for the access card department and provide them the serial number off the receiver, they can tell you if it is owned. If it isn't, it is just a paperweight to you. Not to mention it may have ended up in the thrift shop because it doesn't work properly.

Best thing you can do is call Directv and ask them what kind of deal they'll make you. Probably not much if you have only been a customer for six months. You get the best deals as a new customer, you don't have much of a bargaining position now.

If the R22 is owned you can buy a new card for $20 and see if it works. It'll act as an HD receiver as well as an HD-DVR. You'll pay fees for HD service and DVR service, together it will add $20/month or so to your bill. You'll save $6/month sending back one D12 but you'll pay an additional $6/month for whatever replaces it - whether it is an R22 you own or a DVR you lease - so you break even on receiver charges.

No, the R22 won't act as an HD DVR unless there is another HD box on the account and the OP is paying for HD.  If he gets an HD receiver, then the R22 will "convert" to an HD box. However, as has been posted, odds are the R22 is a leased box and if so it is just a doorstop, DirecTV won't activate it.

#11 OFFLINE   WTNewton

WTNewton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

What does 'TS' and 'OP' stand for?
Can anyone supply me with a list of
1. HD Receiver Model Numbers
2. HD/DVR Model Numbers
That are considered to be 'Whole Home DVR' compatable?
How does 'whole home system' actually work? Do you need a DVR at every TV, or does it work some other way?
Also, can someone explain to me how I would be able to view DVR recorded data on one of the SD boxes/tv room locations ... Or is that even possible?
Again, thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,727 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Topic Starter and Original Post (or Poster).

Receiver models that are Whole Home compatible are H21-25 (there is no H22)

HR20-24 and HR34 and 44

You don't need a DVR at each TV, though that does work. You need at least a receiver, Genie client or RVU compatible TV. The client and RVU require a Genie on the system. All of them can play back recordings from any HD DVR in the house, a receiver can set something to record on any DVR and a client/RVU is a full extension of the Genie but has no tuner of its own. It uses a tuner off the Genie for live TV. If you had an HRxx and an Hxx, your R22 would work as a whole home DVR.

No other SD box can do this.

#13 OFFLINE   WTNewton

WTNewton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Thank you!
Now I know what to look for ...
1 HXX
And
1 HRXX

And check to be sure they are 'owned' and not leased, I believe!

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,727 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

Always verify with the Access Card department, and remember to add $20 for a new access card. But there's still a risk that the box you get doesn't match the checked RID, particularly on eBay.

Too bad VOS sold his HR24. That would have been a great no risk way to get one of the boxes you need.

#15 OFFLINE   WTNewton

WTNewton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:17 AM

Update ....
I now have an HR20-700 up and running. Got it off craigslist for 50$. It is Leased, but the guy I bought it from had never activated it ... It still had the original access card taped to the bottom of the unit. I also have another HR20-700 coming from ebay and directv says it is owned and they will activate it. I also have a new leased H21-100 coming from Ebay for 55$ and a formally commercial H21--200 unit for 19$ coming from that D* says they will activate as leased residential. So to recap ... My final system will be ...
HR20-700,
HR20-700,
H21-100,
H21-200,
D12, and
D12.

So now my simpke question is ...

What additional parts do I need to self implement whole home / multi room viewing.

I have added dvr, hd, and whole home service to my account.

Thanks!

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,276 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:50 AM

You would need a SWM LNB, a 21v power inserter, 4 DECAs home adapters, 2 BSFs, 1 DECA broadband and some elbow grease!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

I just scanned back through this entire thread and do not see this mentioned anyplace so want to make sure you are aware:  The D12 receivers are NOT whole-home capable. No SD receiver or DVR (other than the R22) can participate in whole-home.  It was mentioned with regard to SD DVR, but not specifically with regard to the D12's.

spam firewall