Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Site Look - Color Thoughts

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your thought on the site color? (51 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your thought on the current site look color wise?

1. Works fine for me, no real issues (34 votes [49.28%])

Percentage of vote: 49.28%

2. Would like a darker look (7 votes [10.14%])

Percentage of vote: 10.14%

3. Would like it brighter, more white (2 votes [2.90%])

Percentage of vote: 2.90%

4. More colors, but darker (15 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

5. More colors, but ligher (8 votes [11.59%])

Percentage of vote: 11.59%

6. Boy, this is harder to do than I thought. (3 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

Hard to say...  43 members have voted 55 times... so several people have selected multiple options... but I can't see any farther than that into how each person voted.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:40 AM

Voted "working for me, etc"

I use the "white background" theme.  It's easier for me to read the font that way.

DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#23 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:01 AM

Voted "working for me, etc"

I use the "white background" theme.  It's easier for me to read the font that way.

Yep, the format of the current default "executive" skin, with the colors/background of that IPB "standard" skin would be fine with me.

I was using that IPB standard skin until it was mentioned that it's not really supported or enhanced so I switched, and figured I'd live with the greyish theme, though I'd love black text on a white background, exactly like that IPB standard skin.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#24 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,415 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

Yep, the format of the current default "executive" skin, with the colors/background of that IPB "standard" skin would be fine with me.

I was using that IPB standard skin until it was mentioned that it's not really supported or enhanced so I switched, and figured I'd live with the greyish theme, though I'd love black text on a white background, exactly like that IPB standard skin.

I may be missing something, but it looks like the IPB standard skin seems to support all the new plug-ins that were added to the executive skin. You just have to get used to different locations for the Forums widget, Messenger, Notifications, etc.

The logo needs either a paneled background or outlined type when set against this skin, however.

Unfortunately, due to the smaller screen, it's the smartphone client that really needs black text against a white background, IMHO. Based on David's research, however, it looks like IP Board doesn't allow the user a choice of mobile skins, only the full skins.

/steve

#25 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

I may be missing something, but it looks like the IPB standard skin seems to support all the new plug-ins that were added to the executive skin. You just have to get used to different locations for the Forums widget, Messenger, Notifications, etc.

The logo needs either a paneled background or outlined type when set against this skin, however.

Unfortunately, due to the smaller screen, it's the smartphone client that really needs black text against a white background, IMHO. Based on David's research, however, it looks like IP Board doesn't allow the user a choice of mobile skins, only the full skins.

Yep Steve, the formatting at the top and the logo are different. Shame that we couldn't just have the IPB standard skin and this skin, and maybe that would be enough to satisfy most people. It's always hard, as we've learned with satellite opinions, there's many perspectives. For me personally, the IPB standard skin has just enough color, and I like the white on black, certainly easy to read.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#26 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

3 or 4 good skins would be nice w/o a lot of time needed to keep up to date.

there are a few (Tom Christiansen and Ajouz have good ones in market)  that allow users to to (using cookies) use a color pallette to tune to how they like it.

its nice to allow a choice but cannot please everyone. and its easy to get caught up trying to please everyone and wasting tons of time making nobody happy.

Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#27 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

For those reading this thread who would like a lighter post background, try the Exectutive2_Testing theme.  Just a few small changes to the background behind the text to make it brighter. (At least I think you should have access to it.)  Just wondering if that helps.   Also, a logo change you can see.

However, it is interesting to see by the poll that most actually are fine with it but would actually like it darker.  So are we really in the sweet spot after all?  Weird. 

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#28 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Not the Fist of Goodness

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

For those reading this thread who would like a lighter post background, try the Exectutive2_Testing theme.  Just a few small changes to the background behind the text to make it brighter. (At least I think you should have access to it.)  Just wondering if that helps.   Also, a logo change you can see.

However, it is interesting to see by the poll that most actually are fine with it but would actually like it darker.  So are we really in the sweet spot after all?  Weird.

I don't see the Executive2_Testing theme.

#29 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,009 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

David, I do not have access to it.  My choices are Executive 2 DBSTalk Default, IPBoard standard and Executive 2 Mobile.   That said I am OK with this skin, it was just curiosity

My Setup

#30 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,415 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

However, it is interesting to see by the poll that most actually are fine with it but would actually like it darker. So are we really in the sweet spot after all? Weird.

I think you're seeing mixed results because some voters think the "lighter" or "darker" questions refer to the overall look of the page. It's "curb appeal", so to speak, and others think "lighter" or "darker" refers to the text background when reading posts. Just my .02.

I still haven't voted because my choices would be different, depending on what you had in mind when you composed the poll choices.
/steve

#31 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Sorry guys...It should show up now.  I missed a setting.  

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#32 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,415 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

Sorry guys...It should show up now.  I missed a setting.  

It's working now.

Personally, I like the white (vs. grey) post background a lot better. Hopefully the quoted post backgrounds can be made white as well, to improve legibility across the board. Ditto for the post backgrounds on the mobile skin.

The new logo's OK, but I like the old one better. Once it got "smaller", I had no problem with it.   :)

/steve

#33 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,009 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

I would be happy either way but i prefer the current default. The white is almost too bright and I have no issues with legibility here. This is a classic example of you will never please everyone...

My Setup

#34 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

Perfect. Thanks. Love it.

#35 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

There is still something funny going on with this poll.

2 more members have voted... but the "current one is ok" count went up by 4 votes.

That doesn't seem possible.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#36 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,009 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

2 more members have voted... but the "current one is ok" count went up by 4 votes.

That doesn't seem possible.

I just tried something, I deleted my vote and it then let me revote. I guess you can change your vote and as it is multiple choice I revoted my original choice and added a vote for "this is more difficult than it looks" so now that category gained a vote with no more users voting

My Setup

#37 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

Ya Stew maybe Dave accidently selected MULTIPLE POLL when he created it.. (I have done that before (uugghh))

#38 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,472 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

Seems fine to me. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#39 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:40 AM

[quote data-cid='3137893' name='Dude111' timestamp='1369018356' post='3137893']There is still something funny going on with this poll.[/quote]

Ya Stew maybe Dave accidently selected MULTIPLE POLL when he created it.. (I have done that before (uugghh))[/quote]

Nope, it was done on purpose.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

#40 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

Very nice that one little change has improved the experience. Loving the black text on white background.

spam firewall