Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV going back to OTA for locals?

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

In regards to retransmission fees paid by DirecTV to the locals.

IMO, it should be the other way around.  The locals should pay DirecTV to have there programming carried by DirecTV.

Afterall, this would increase the number of viewers to their stations.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

There is one big reason to have an OTA antenna over what D* offers, subchannels and class A stations. D* dosen't offer all the subchannels and class A stations aren't must carry. Around here, we have lots of both are missing.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#43 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

There is one big reason to have an OTA antenna over what D* offers, subchannels and class A stations. D* dosen't offer all the subchannels and class A stations aren't must carry. Around here, we have lots of both are missing.

That's why an OTA antenna is a good supplement but it doesn't work even for primaries for a large number of customers. I get sub channels OTA but lost main channels OTA with the digital transition.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#44 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

Seems like Aero Tv may be having more impact than first thought.  Cheaper than paying the high Retrans. fees netword demand.

In my opinion, nothing to do with Aero.  This has to do with Retrans fees.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#45 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 362 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:16 AM

Well, that's what this whole thread is about. Directv appears to be dropping hints that they might do just that, because the local stations keep increasing their demands every time around and that's not sustainable, particularly for something which is FREE to those who have an antenna!

That's especially true with broadcasters, such as Sinclair Broadcasting, that own stations all over the U.S., and in some cities, they own multiple stations.  Here in S.A., they own the Fox and NBC affiliates.  When broadcasters negotiate, they pretty much have D* and subscribers all over the U.S. by they yang yang, as they negotiate for all the stations they own at the same time. 

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#46 OFFLINE   sliderbob

sliderbob

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

I'd be in favor of this IF we could get the channels on the 390's.

#47 OFFLINE   inhd40

inhd40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

Sounds great to me.  I would not be able to use a dish mount but if I could tie in my mast to the genie and still DVR locals and maybe save a few bucks, why not?  Not everyone would be able to do it but probably 80-90 percent could.  That is another question, what about current equipment that is not OTA compatible?  Would there be some kind of converter available?

#48 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

It's going to take a 2 step approach for this.

1. certify the technicians to do an off air signal test with the appropriate equipment.

2. if they have acceptable levels, they get an off air and are good to go.  If not, they get the distant networks turned on by default.

that alone will kill 90% of the complaints about stopping a retrans for a local station.  

#49 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,663 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

Would the local channels allow for this, would they allow for their guide data to be carried over D* satellites?

Sounds like a good idea, but I just don't see it happening. Like others have said already, too many negative variables would be in affect.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 19 May 2013 - 09:33 AM.

#50 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,383 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

In regards to retransmission fees paid by DirecTV to the locals.

IMO, it should be the other way around.  The locals should pay DirecTV to have there programming carried by DirecTV.

Afterall, this would increase the number of viewers to their stations.

I've always wondered about that, too.  Seems kinda backasswards to me.  

Rich

#51 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

Sounds great to me. I would not be able to use a dish mount but if I could tie in my mast to the genie and still DVR locals and maybe save a few bucks, why not? Not everyone would be able to do it but probably 80-90 percent could. That is another question, what about current equipment that is not OTA compatible? Would there be some kind of converter available?

I think your 80-90 number is way too high. Since the digital switchover, ota coverage as dropped dramatically.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#52 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

Would the local channels allow for this, would they allow for their guide data to be carried over D* satellites?

On what grounds?

#53 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

I think your 80-90 number is way too high. Since the digital switchover, ota coverage as dropped dramatically.

I only get one OTA channel where I live and it's retransmitted so this would not work for me. Even if they gave us the distant networks, I would lose the local news and weather which is mostly all I watch on the networks.

#54 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,433 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

I've always wondered about that, too.  Seems kinda backasswards to me.  

Rich

In an ideal world, local stations would want to be carried by cable and satellite providers because it increases their reach. They used to give it away free for that reason. Later they realized that due to the way copyright law is written, they control whether/how their signal is rebroadcast. Since there's a demand for it, and they control it, they're able to charge for it. Why give something away, even something you might be willing to pay to give them, if someone is willing to pay for it?

It's like if you were cleaning out your attic for a garage sale and some guy driving by sees one item you were going to put on the curb as trash and offers you $50 for it on the spot. Are you going to tell him, "actually I was going to throw that away, you can have it" or will you take the $50? Or maybe you figure if he's willing to pay $50, maybe he might be willing to pay $100?

The local stations keep raising their rates each time around, charging whatever the market will bear. They know that if the average person puts on a channel to watch their regular show or their team and instead sees a message about the station being blacked out due to ongoing negotiations, the angry phone call they make is much more likely to be directed at their provider who they pay for service rather than at their local station whom they don't (personally) pay.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#55 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,663 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

On what grounds?

Not sure, thats why I asked.

#56 OFFLINE   inhd40

inhd40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

Range went down for sure but with a good booster you can pull a long way.

#57 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,419 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

As long as they're submitting their guide data information to Tribune (or another provider), they can't prevent DirecTV from getting the guide data from Tribune (or another provider) and disseminating the information.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#58 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

Range went down for sure but with a good booster you can pull a long way.

Problem is that you need big antennas. No amount of amplification makes a signal appear that isn't here. And it largely needs to be directional. The further away the more likely. A little dipole on a dish ain't gonna do it. Especially or VHF. Then there is the problem of multipath for people in and near cities. Multipath in analog just made a ghost. In digital, it breaks up and knocks out the picture.

While digital gave us beautiful HD and sub channels, it made it much harder to get clean, consistent OTA.

#59 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,089 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

As long as they're submitting their guide data information to Tribune (or another provider), they can't prevent DirecTV from getting the guide data from Tribune (or another provider) and disseminating the information.

Not to mention that there isn't a single protest now, even from channels in dispute. Precedent set.

Heck, hey dont need to get it via satellite. The data is actually in the psip data. Not as far out calendar wise, but it is there.

#60 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

I've suggested that the Feds just begin a transition to all Satellite for locals. Buy back the portion of the spectrum that's used for locals, from the satellite companies, and give it to the broadcasters in place of the terrestrial frequencies.

Let the satellite companies still operate the ground and space facilities for a while, until time for new satellites and uplinks.

As we move forward, eliminate the need for two HD and two SD feeds (both DISH and DirecTV), and free up more spectrum for the satellite companies and the broadcasters. Make all new satellite boxes HD-capable.

The locals would be available to anyone in the particular DMA, for free, but would be tightly spot-beamed....maybe even scrambled, if necessary (to control out-of-market reception). make it possible for non-subscribers to purchase FTA receivers for local reception.

As things progress, let the local stations get together and build or purchase their own local POP, and uplinks. They could hire (on a national basis) the DBS companies, or someone else, to build, launch and operate the Space Segment and TT&C facilities.

With the local stations being the ones who send the signal, there is no need for retransmission fees. Even Cable subs could receive the terrestrial broadcasters' signals via a dish, and the Cable companies could use their bandwidth for broadband.

spam firewall