Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV going back to OTA for locals?

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#126 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,201 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

That's because...under the law....they do.

Yep.  And they have better lobbyists than we do.

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#127 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts
  • LocationStow, Ohio

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

I hope I can get my money back for the AM21 I bought that won`t pick up all the available stations due to DTV not carrying them in their "database".

#128 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,622 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

I'm not sure if you can get your money back by returning it to the place of purchase, however the AM21 is an owned accessory, not leased, and you can sell it privately to recover your cost. Check the buy/sell/trade forum here as one opportunity to try and do that.

#129 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

I hope I can get my money back for the AM21 I bought that won`t pick up all the available stations due to DTV not carrying them in their "database".

You have a couple of options.  First contact the stations you think you should be getting and let them know they need to provide their data to Tribune.  DirecTV can't add stations it doesn't know about.

Second, if you know you should be getting a signal from a station, but it is not in the database, then find another market that has a station that is broadcasting on the same channel.  This needs to be the actual VHF/UHF channel, not the remap.  For example, my local station 3, 3-1 and 3-2 are actually located at UHF 23.  So find a market that has the station (easy) or stations (harder) you want and add it as your secondary market.  You might get weird channel numbers, but you will be able to get the content.

My Setup

#130 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

Does anyone know if you can still get a $3 discount on your bill if you don't want to get LiL?  I can get all my local channels just fine via OTA so I would like to do this and support D* in this area.  If D* really wants to encourage OTA usage, they could start letting the receivers scan for all OTA channels instead of only being able to select the ones in their database.  This absolutely infuriates me that I can't do a real OTA scan and it's even worse when it seems every day the D* guide omits about half the OTA channels that showed up the week before!

#131 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

Does anyone know if you can still get a $3 discount on your bill if you don't want to get LiL?  ....... If D* really wants to encourage OTA usage, they could start letting the receivers scan for all OTA channels instead of only being able to select the ones in their database. 

Not sure that $3 is worth having your recordings take up twice the space as the satellite delivered ones. 

I agree they should enable scanning if they want OTA to take off.  And increase the HDD size.

My Setup

#132 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,945 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

Does anyone know if you can still get a $3 discount on your bill if you don't want to get LiL? I can get all my local channels just fine via OTA so I would like to do this and support D* in this area. If D* really wants to encourage OTA usage, they could start letting the receivers scan for all OTA channels instead of only being able to select the ones in their database. This absolutely infuriates me that I can't do a real OTA scan and it's even worse when it seems every day the D* guide omits about half the OTA channels that showed up the week before!

Pretty sure the genie can scan but without guide data, all you can do is tune and manual record.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#133 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,622 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Does anyone know if you can still get a $3 discount on your bill if you don't want to get LiL?

Not by choice, only if you cannot get LILs. If they are available, you have to take them.

#134 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

You have a couple of options.  First contact the stations you think you should be getting and let them know they need to provide their data to Tribune.  DirecTV can't add stations it doesn't know about.

In my experience, the guide data is in Tribune for almost all of the substations.  Tivo has no problem recording from these substations, and it also uses Tribune guide data.

Not scanning and supporting all substations is just a quick fix D* took a while ago to workaround some issues they were having.

Edited by bobcamp1, 29 May 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#135 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

In my experience, the guide data is in Tribune for almost all of the substations.  Tivo has no problem recording from these substations, and it also uses Tribune guide data.

Not scanning and supporting all substations is just a quick fix D* took a while ago to workaround some issues they were having.

My local Fox station confirmed to me today that Movies! is not in the Tribune guide data.....yet.  Hopefully, this will change soon.

#136 OFFLINE   haas

haas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

I have an HR44 just installed today if I buy the AM21N can my mini genie clients use it also since they are all connected? Can one mini watch one OTA channel on one mini and watch a different OTA channel on another mini? Just curious if there is any limitations?

Thanks

#137 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,636 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

I have an HR44 just installed today if I buy the AM21N can my mini genie clients use it also since they are all connected? Can one mini watch one OTA channel on one mini and watch a different OTA channel on another mini? Just curious if there is any limitations?

Thanks

Yes, the mini Genies can do that.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#138 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,636 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

My local Fox station confirmed to me today that Movies! is not in the Tribune guide data.....yet.  Hopefully, this will change soon.

Movies! is in the Tribune guide data now;

At least as reported by Zap2it.com for my zip code, 90037

But of course DIRECTV has or more likely "will" not update their OTA database to receive it though.

:nono2:

The Genie can still get it without guide data, but when DIRECTV soon removes the active scanning capability from the Genies, we'll even lose that ... :mad:   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#139 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

D* seems to be anti-OTA to me:

1.  Not all locals are in their database, so I can't get them on my D* DVRs

2.  No scanning available

3.  No plans to enable all locals or scanning.

Therefore, I think the seminal point of this thread is now moot.

DirecTV customer since 1996

#140 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

Actually, I think it's been discussed several times here that the reason for not all locals being in the database is that the database is simply full.  DirecTV's system for inserting locals appears to be breaking down under the crush of there being so many.  I really wish I could quote the threads right here, right now, but hopefully someone else will come up with them.

#141 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:04 PM

I know the discussion is months old but what about a simple weather radio for emergencies left on 24/7 set to your county. Solves the cellar and OTA problem.
  • damondlt likes this

#142 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

Actually, I think the main reason DirecTV was toying with the idea of getting as many folks as possible onto OTA was to reduce payments to broadcasters.

But you're right about one thing...we ALL need weather radios, I don't care WHAT your TV provider is!  :righton:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...