Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cosmos reboot confirmed for 2014

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

Fox has confirmed that the famed miniseries originally done by Carl Sagan is being redone, this time with Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Seth MacFarlane, who is a science and space enthusiast will produce.

http://www.latimes.c...0,6987830.story

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

Does anyone know if the original Cosmos was shot on (480i) videotape, or maybe 35mm filmstock ??

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

I think it was a mixture.

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:08 AM

Fox = Zero

It'll be loaded with commercials.

Some things are not meant to be tampered with.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

I definitely would have preferred PBS, but if it gets more people to maybe watch it, there may be some good out of it. Like some people will never watch a movie that's not in color, some won't watch something just because it's PBS.

This is also the network that at one time aired a show with "evidence" that the moon landing was a hoax.

#6 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

I think where it airs is really not an issue. We all are pretty good at skipping commercials we don't want to watch. FOX is also doing an hour of Brain Games, (maybe this Saturday?) which is my favorite new science show. I think its on Nat Geo Wild, but I'm not sure. Regardless, highly recommended. Watch the FOX hour, and then if you like it, seek it out on NGW. Or just go there now, I think its on right now.

Tyson is great, but he is no Carl Sagan; those are big shoes he will be attempting to fill. Sagan had a presence that was really calming but still let his enthusiasm for the content show through. Tyson might be able to match that. It sort of depends upon how well it is produced more than anything else; the producer has to let him walk the fine line of being a personality without that getting in the way of the information. Actually, that is what makes Brain Games work; good host, good production.

Cosmos was my second-favorite PBS program back in the day, just behind Connections, which still holds up, and should be also considered for a redo.

Edited by TomCat, 20 May 2013 - 07:57 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

No one can replace Carl Sagan, but Tyson is still a great science populizer that is a good fit. I listen to his weekly podcast, he has a good personality.

#8 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,198 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:08 AM

I agree that there is nobody who will ever 'replace' Carl Sagan.  But I wouldn't want someone to replace him.  I think Neil deGrasse Tyson is *fantastic*.  The energy and passion that he shows in interviews is almost intoxicating to someone like me.  I looked up some of his talks on youTube a while back and he doesn't flinch from suggesting how to deal with scientific Luddites.

I got the comfortable feeling from Sagan that he was a really nice and very effective teacher.

Tyson gives me the feeling of that same teacher who's willing to shout a little louder to get the word out.

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:14 AM

And has great ties. I remember on one Daily Show episode, he used his tie as a visual aid, with the caveat that it was not to scale.

#10 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Cosmos was my second-favorite PBS program back in the day, just behind Connections, which still holds up, and should be also considered for a redo.

Actually, Connections and Connections2 DID have a follow up sometime later as connections3. It was not as good.  Still, Connections and The Day the Universe Changed are some of the best programming of its kind ever!

Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

Protected By... spam firewall...And...