Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBCSN ALT not being used?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

And they just said in home markets but it's in not in the guide for alt and home markets??? what happened to all playoff games in all markets? did comcast say no as there own subs will not get what directv subs get?

in round 1 they got it right.

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 16 May 2013 - 08:08 PM.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,715 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

Its on NHL Network 215.

#3 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

NBC nice way to not tell any one

#4 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

Why not use NBC SN alt????  Does Comcast want people to pay more for it?? and why should people in market get locked out if they have NBCSN but not NHLNET?

also NHLNET lower line sucks TURN IT OFF.

#5 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,715 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

Why not use NBC SN alt????  Does Comcast want people to pay more for it?? and why should people in market get locked out if they have NBCSN but not NHLNET?

also NHLNET lower line sucks TURN IT OFF.

Yeah I agree, especially if someone is wanting to record the game.

#6 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,463 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

The hockey playoff coverage is a MESS. The guide data is a MESS. The cross promotion is non-existant. They are burying the best part of hockey, the playoffs by, basically, hiding it. See how the NBA and MLB (and even the NFL to an extent, though their coverage is a bit clearer without it) cross-promote. TNT/TBS tell you when the ESPN/ABC games are on for the NBA. MLB during its playoffs has a united front and cross promote the Fox and TBS games. The NFL does it with the extra games on NBC. The NCAA does it with TNT/TBS/Tru/CBS.

The NHL succeeds (as little as it does) despite itself.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#7 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

On the NBC web site there is a game list showing what channels are showing what games.

But I agree with you, the whole thing is a mess. And it's basically NBC's fault. Guide data with no game info so game search can't find the game. Putting a game in the guide with only one hour duration. Typically NBC lack of organization.

#8 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

I had no idea that the 1st period of the SJ-LA game was on the NHL Net.  I kept checking CNBC which was used in the 1st round.  NBC & the NHL sure messed this up.  How do they expect to grow a following when they can't even keep die-hard fans (Sharks here, though I wish I missed the last 2:30 of Game 2) informed where to find the games when there is a conflict.

#9 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 997 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

NBC did provide alt feeds for cable systems in the LA and SJ markets.  Those cable systems had the SJ/LA game from the beginning on NBCSN and the overtime period of the NYR/BOS game on NHL Network (a "reverse mirror" as it were).  Alt feeds also existed in the first round for markets where games were subject to blackout.  For the most part, DirecTV has not used these alt feeds (they'd have to carry feeds for NBCSN, CNBC, and NHLN if they wanted to carry all of them).  Since all games are available in their entirety without the alt feeds, I suspect DirecTV decided to forgo allocating the extra bandwidth for these alt feeds.

BTW, they did announce at the start of the overtime intermission that NHLN would have overflow coverage.  That said, they could have done a better job at providing info about where to find the games.  It really isn't any different from ESPN using ESPN2 or ESPNU for overflow coverage, though they usually do a good job letting the viewers know.

#10 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

NBC did provide alt feeds for cable systems in the LA and SJ markets.  Those cable systems had the SJ/LA game from the beginning on NBCSN and the overtime period of the NYR/BOS game on NHL Network (a "reverse mirror" as it were).  Alt feeds also existed in the first round for markets where games were subject to blackout.  For the most part, DirecTV has not used these alt feeds (they'd have to carry feeds for NBCSN, CNBC, and NHLN if they wanted to carry all of them).  Since all games are available in their entirety without the alt feeds, I suspect DirecTV decided to forgo allocating the extra bandwidth for these alt feeds.

BTW, they did announce at the start of the overtime intermission that NHLN would have overflow coverage.  That said, they could have done a better job at providing info about where to find the games.  It really isn't any different from ESPN using ESPN2 or ESPNU for overflow coverage, though they usually do a good job letting the viewers know.

DIrectv will not need to have all carry feeds for NBCSN, CNBC, and NHLN just maybe NBCSN and maybe NHLnet (that seems to have shared alt slot with MLB NET)

But the bigger issues is in market people who don't have NHLNET in there channel pack but have NBCSN can't see there local game or can directv just make NHLNET part or a lower pack for the playoffs? and or give them a free CI day pass?

#11 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

A "better job" is an understatement.  I wasn't watching the intermission program so I had no idea the game was on another channel.  How about a scroll providing that information just like ESPN uses to inform viewers when conflicts arise, and having the announcers continue to inform LA-SJ fans that the game is on an alternate channel.  It's not that tough.

#12 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

Didn't the LA and San Jose markets get the entire game on NBCSN? That is what the announcers said.

Also, there is no CI during the playoffs, so hard to give that to anyone.

Scheduling playoff games 2.5 hours apart is idiotic at best. If on the same night, they have to use two channels. 17 games in the first round went into OT.

#13 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

I had no idea that the 1st period of the SJ-LA game was on the NHL Net.  I kept checking CNBC which was used in the 1st round.  NBC & the NHL sure messed this up.  How do they expect to grow a following when they can't even keep die-hard fans (Sharks here, though I wish I missed the last 2:30 of Game 2) informed where to find the games when there is a conflict.

What a mess indeed. First off...Go Kings Go!...alright, I'm good. Anyway, why not have a message saying tune to ch. 215 for Sharts vs. Kings. I would like to see the alt channel used, my guess as to why they don't is not all providers have an alt feed like Directv. Maybe I'm wrong...Go Kings Go!

#14 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

I have the (free) NHL Center Ice App and the CBC Hockey App. I have notifications turned on and I ended up with four pop-ups on my phone and iPad stating that the SJ-LA game would be on the NHL Network as the east game went into OT. 

All of the press releases have stated that the games will be shown on NBCSN, CNBC or the NHL Network (and RSNs during the 1st round).

#15 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,463 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

I have the (free) NHL Center Ice App and the CBC Hockey App. I have notifications turned on and I ended up with four pop-ups on my phone and iPad stating that the SJ-LA game would be on the NHL Network as the east game went into OT. 

All of the press releases have stated that the games will be shown on NBCSN, CNBC or the NHL Network (and RSNs during the 1st round).

That's all well and good. Devoted fans find the games. But leagues are made or broken on attracting new or casual fans. The NHL is a major fail in that aspect. I like playoff hockey but don't follow the sport enough to have notifications on a CBC hockey app.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#16 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

That's all well and good. Devoted fans find the games. But leagues are made or broken on attracting new or casual fans. The NHL is a major fail in that aspect. I like playoff hockey but don't follow the sport enough to have notifications on a CBC hockey app.

Whatever, people who want to know, know.. Move on.

#17 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,463 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Whatever, people who want to know, know.. Move on.

And that is why he NHL keeps failing. They only work for die hard fans. Don't grow the business. Stay niche. Yup. Good plan.

#18 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

I think on days with two games, NBC needs to schedule them on two separate channels. None of this 2.5 or even 3-hours apart on the same channel. Any delays or OTs, and my recordings get messed up.

Having said that and knowing I'm not moving to Canada, I've learned to live with what is available. 

As it became apparent Thursday night that the eastern game was going to go past it's allocated time, the announcers made multiple announcements of what was going to happen.  I heard it 2-3 times in the 16 minute window on NBCSN and 2 times on the NHL network (and I walked away for a bit for a bathroom break and to get another drink, so they may have announced it even more).

So even a non-die hard fan would know where they could watch the games.

#19 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

And that is why he NHL keeps failing. They only work for die hard fans. Don't grow the business. Stay niche. Yup. Good plan.

Or DirecTV could simply add the ipad app for NBCsports and then those with the device would always have the games available.

#20 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,463 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

Or DirecTV could simply add the ipad app for NBCsports and then those with the device would always have the games available.

They could and they should but I want to watch on my big tv not my mobile device. Watching a hockey puck on an iPhone? Nope.

They should add the NBC app for other stuff, though.

spam firewall