Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Not sure about making the commitment

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lungs414

lungs414

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:41 AM

Is it true that in some states, (New York), there is a law that gives a customer the right to cancel a subscription within a certain time period (I think it is 14 or 15 days)?

Thanks 

George

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bayouboy

bayouboy

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

Is it true that in some states, (New York), there is a law that gives a customer the right to cancel a subscription within a certain time period (I think it is 14 or 15 days)?
Thanks
George

If im not mistaken, dtv gives you 30 days to cancel without any extra fees. Id ask the rep before i said yes.

#3 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

I've always thought that it was 3 days but some states may be different. It costs them a lot to do a new install so they're not doing them just to see if you like it or not. If you're not sure then don't do it.

#4 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:01 AM

In Virginia it's three days. It's the buyers remorse law,IIRC. Every state is different though.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,918 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

If im not mistaken, dtv gives you 30 days to cancel without any extra fees. Id ask the rep before i said yes.

I'm not sure if you have any time to cancel, but it certainly is not 30 days.  I have heard 3 days, but as some have noted this can vary based on State laws.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,935 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

And some states, the laws are very specific to particular situations and industries, like health clubs etc.

#7 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

In Michigan its 3 days, I am sure it is state by state so best to check.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#8 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

Time Warner locally advertises that they'll refund all your money if you are dissatisfied within 30 days. I don't know if there are any catches involved, since I've only watched the ads and not followed up.

I suspect there's a California law covering cancels but I don't know any details.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#9 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

WIth D*, you have 24 hours to cancel from the minute of activation unless state laws specify differently.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#10 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

WIth D*, you have 24 hours to cancel from the minute of activation unless state laws specify differently.

Is that documented anywhere like in the agreement you have to sign for the installer?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#11 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

Is that documented anywhere like in the agreement you have to sign for the installer?

I would imagine.  I'll try to find the literature.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#12 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Not in the lease agreement you sign from the tech.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,763 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

I have not seen this info anywhere on the DirecTV site.  of course, if 24 hours is true (not saying that is not), DirecTV would make this info very hard to find

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

I have not seen this info anywhere on the DirecTV site.  of course, if 24 hours is true (not saying that is not), DirecTV would make this info very hard to find

Yeah you know it.  I have the information but haven't found it in an area with public access.

#15 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

I have not seen this info anywhere on the DirecTV site. of course, if 24 hours is true (not saying that is not), DirecTV would make this info very hard to find

It is true but they do not tell people about it which yes is silly. The states with a longer timeframe are states that won some kind of legal preceedings on it whom fought for their citizens. Its just like how you can not find out you have a 14 day period to do a new customer order correction on 1 reciever without being charged without calling in. Go figure.

Edited by Volatility, 17 May 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

Yeah you know it. I have the information but haven't found it in an area with public access.

You aren't going to find it. I hate to put a negative connotation on things but there really is no other way to explain it. I was told in Cancellation Department training they do not tell customers up front on purpose to help reduce churn. They want you in that 2 yr contract.

Edited by Volatility, 17 May 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,763 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

Its just like how you can not find out you have a 14 day period to do a new customer order correction on 1 reciever without being charged without calling in. Go figure.

Which is NOT right.  Customer should be able correct their complete order. Specially when they get lied to. 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,763 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

….I was told in Cancellation Department training they do not tell customers up front on purpose to help reduce churn. They want you in that 2 yr contract.

Exactly, DirecTV is not a charity organization…

Edited by peds48, 18 May 2013 - 05:44 PM.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

Which is NOT right. Customer should be able correct their complete order. Specially when they get lied to.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree. And not only lie to but misinformation from an agent. I can do one correction but no more. I can't even credit as the credit tab does not appear nor can get around it as the bill to the account is not an option on new customers. There is no way around it. Ditto

Edited by Volatility, 18 May 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Exactly, DirecTV is not a charity organization…

Yup. I wish i could tell people that. But would get called into HR. Then be in my car driving home jobless lol

Protected By... spam firewall...And...