Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

can't stand my HR22-100 any longer

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

Receiver has gotten so bad, that trying to watch any recorded show while another is recording, causes the DVR to behave very erratically (pressing FF, receiver will literally take 5 minutes to respond) and it corrupts the show I am recording also.  I almost wonder if this is a way for DirecTV to keep you from FF through commercials.

Anyone know when the HR44 will be available at retail?  I don't buy from DirecTV because I don't buy used equipment.  All of the HR2x and HR3x are way too slow and unstable, and I won't put up with them any longer.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

Sounds to me like your disk drive is faulty.

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.  

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

Take off the tinfoil hat and maybe run a disk check on your device, this sounds like a failing HDD.

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

Take off the tinfoil hat and maybe run a disk check on your device, this sounds like a failing HDD.

Yup, a failing drive on a terrible DVR.  

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Receiver has gotten so bad, that trying to watch any recorded show while another is recording, causes the DVR to behave very erratically (pressing FF, receiver will literally take 5 minutes to respond) and it corrupts the show I am recording also.  I almost wonder if this is a way for DirecTV to keep you from FF through commercials.

Anyone know when the HR44 will be available at retail?  I don't buy from DirecTV because I don't buy used equipment.  All of the HR2x and HR3x are way too slow and unstable, and I won't put up with them any longer.

You could also put an external HDD on the 22-100 and see if the problems persist.  If they do, get a replacement.  The 24s aren't slow and unstable.

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the insight, but I guess timing was just good, got an email from solidsignal today that they are now accepting orders for the HR44.  So I ordered one.

I currently have this dish/LNB: AU9-S

I assume that I can just buy this SWM LNB:  SL5-SWM along with the required power inserter to replace my current non SWM LNB?

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

I assume that I can just buy this SWM LNB:  SL5-SWM along with the required power inserter to replace my current non SWM LNB?

as long as you have 8 tuners or less, then yes

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

I don't buy from DirecTV because I don't buy used equipment.  

There is no way to get a refurb or "used" HR44 from DirecTV at this time.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

But there is no way to guarantee an HR44 either, you order a "Genie" and you get what they give you.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,684 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

True, though right now most can guarantee someone won't get a 44, but over time, I think the odds will get much better that it will be a 44. The numbers will work in its favor.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

Hopefully, but even today if you order an HDDVR you may still get a HR21-23 model instead of the HR24....

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

Hopefully, but even today if you order an HDDVR you may still get a HR21-23 model instead of the HR24....

Don't think so.  with the introduction of the voice feature in the app, DirecTV can't install the older HDDVRs any more.  I have not installed anything lower then an HR24 in months…….

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,684 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

Voice control works on the older units in terms of major functionality, it's more of an optional aspect.

#14 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

Don't think so.  with the introduction of the voice feature in the app, DirecTV can't install the older HDDVRs any more.  I have not installed anything lower then an HR24 in months…….

Haha if that were only true. Most of the Midwest has only HR21's in the latest shipment been that way for a couple of weeks. Next shipment Monday also shows HR21's.

#15 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

So got the HR44 last week and got it installed/activated without any problems.  Now today, I noticed content showing up in My Playlist from my wife's HR24 and my son's HR22.  I go into settings and it now shows Whole Home activated.  I never activated Whole Home because I don't think we should be charged for it.  So I go to the DirecTV website and notice that it's been activated on my account without me asking for it, or authorizing it.

Is this standard practice?  Should I just remove it from the website and leave it at that?  Or should I call and make them explain why they are activating something on my account without my request or authorization?

Update:  Well, just tried to remove from website and it just pops up a message that I need to call 1-800-DirecTV.  What a hassle.  Maybe that is what they hope people will think, and just forget about it because they hate waiting on hold, or talking to some CSR.

Edited by Richard, 11 June 2013 - 08:51 PM.

#16 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

That's not what he meant as the HR44 is not in all areas yet, but what he's saying is if he tries to upgrade from Directv then he might or might not get a HR24/44, as they don't guarantee specific model receivers, so he might get similar or even older equipment as upgrades, You have better chance if a tech comes and installs it for you.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#17 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

So got the HR44 last week and got it installed/activated without any problems.  Now today, I noticed content showing up in My Playlist from my wife's HR24 and my son's HR22.  I go into settings and it now shows Whole Home activated.  I never activated Whole Home because I don't think we should be charged for it.  So I go to the DirecTV website and notice that it's been activated on my account without me asking for it, or authorizing it.

Is this standard practice?  Should I just remove it from the website and leave it at that?  Or should I call and make them explain why they are activating something on my account without my request or authorization?

Update:  Well, just tried to remove from website and it just pops up a message that I need to call 1-800-DirecTV.  What a hassle.  Maybe that is what they hope people will think, and just forget about it because they hate waiting on hold, or talking to some CSR.

Just call and they'll remove it no problem, but they shouldn't add WHS if it wasn't needed and for just upgrading to the Genie, They do the same thing with PP until I log in the Directv account and remove it online, wish you could do the same with MRV.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#18 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

Got it removed, but the CSR I talked with said it was required and that the charge is going to show back up next month, we will see.

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,684 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

That's not what he meant as the HR44 is not in all areas yet, but what he's saying is if he tries to upgrade from Directv then he might or might not get a HR24/44, as they don't guarantee specific model receivers, so he might get similar or even older equipment as upgrades, You have better chance if a tech comes and installs it for you.

We have been told that the policy is now that HR24 is replaced with same. If that is the case, then it should be for the 44 as well.

#20 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

Got it removed, but the CSR I talked with said it was required and that the charge is going to show back up next month, we will see.

Not positive that it's true but I have seen posts that say it is required with a Genie as one of your DVRs.

spam firewall