Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

can't stand my HR22-100 any longer

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

I believe that having Whole Home is supposed to be a requirement for owning a Genie.  Its sad that its not being enforced uniformly for all customers as it should be.  You want a Genie, you get Whole Home, you dont want to pay for whole home, tough, no Genie or go find another provider.

Edited by CCarncross, 12 June 2013 - 08:14 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

No, simply having a Genie does not force Whole Home. Having a Genie and one other WH client does.

Steve

My Setup

#23 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

We have been told that the policy is now that HR24 is replaced with same. If that is the case, then it should be for the 44 as well.

That is replacements not upgrades, with replacement if the receiver fails than you get the same model (either free with PP or $20 shipping without PP or they waive the fee) but with upgrades you get whatever they have available, What usually happens is if its self installed and they ship it to you, you might get refurbished older box or similar to the HR22, it could be a HR24 if you're lucky, now if its a truck roll and a tech is installing, depending If they have HR24/44 available in stock then there's a chance you get a 24/44, but it varies on what the installer brought with him.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#24 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

I believe that having Whole Home is supposed to be a requirement for owning a Genie.  Its sad that its not being enforced uniformly for all customers as it should be.  You want a Genie, you get Whole Home, you dont want to pay for whole home, tough, no Genie or go find another provider.

If they had a non-Genie HD-DVR that performed as well as the HR44, then that would be fine with me.  But they don't, so that is the model I bought.  I don't use Whole-home, and shouldn't have to pay for something I am not using.

#25 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

If they had a non-Genie HD-DVR that performed as well as the HR44, then that would be fine with me. But they don't, so that is the model I bought. I don't use Whole-home, and shouldn't have to pay for something I am not using.

The HR24 has pretty respectable performance. I'm sorry you don't feel the same.

#26 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:37 AM

The HR24 has pretty respectable performance. I'm sorry you don't feel the same.

+1

I had an HR23 that died recently and I moved my HR24 into the Den while I was waiting on the replacement. Wow, what a difference.

I was lucky with the replacement and it was another HR24-100. I am very happy with them. In fact, they operate with the same basic speed as my son's nor DVR model H21.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#27 OFFLINE   Phil17108

Phil17108

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

If they had a non-Genie HD-DVR that performed as well as the HR44, then that would be fine with me.  But they don't, so that is the model I bought.  I don't use Whole-home, and shouldn't have to pay for something I am not using.

I have had the MRV since the bate test and if I remember right it's a whole 3 bucks. I am sure if I had not had a single wire system, thats what is really required for the MRV or whole home, it would have been installed with the free upgrade. What is absolutely required for the 34/44 genie is the single wire system, and all new DirecTV installs are that.

#28 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,878 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

+1

I had an HR23 that died recently and I moved my HR24 into the Den while I was waiting on the replacement. Wow, what a difference.

I was lucky with the replacement and it was another HR24-100. I am very happy with them. In fact, they operate with the same basic speed as my son's nor DVR model H21.

Agreed.  Comparing a 23 with a 24 will always end up the same way.  I've gotta say I'm not thrilled with the 24-100s loud fan or the time it requires to delete a lot of programs at once.  My 24-500s perform this task much more quickly.  The fans aren't noticeable in a noisy room, but in a quiet room where you're trying to read it gets pretty annoying.

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

Receiver has gotten so bad, that trying to watch any recorded show while another is recording, causes the DVR to behave very erratically (pressing FF, receiver will literally take 5 minutes to respond) and it corrupts the show I am recording also.  I almost wonder if this is a way for DirecTV to keep you from FF through commercials.

Anyone know when the HR44 will be available at retail?  I don't buy from DirecTV because I don't buy used equipment.  All of the HR2x and HR3x are way too slow and unstable, and I won't put up with them any longer.

I had the exact same problems with my HR22-100 for nearly 24 months.  It was very annoying.  I bought a new HR24-200 from Solid Signal last fall.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#30 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

well, the Whole Home DVR charge is back already, guess I will just have to pay it, though it's something I will never use.  I never signed up for it after the free trial they had before they started charging for it, why would I want it now?  I don't use DECA so my setup is not a supported one, guess it's the price you have to pay to not have to deal with their horridly slow older HD DVRs.

#31 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

The HR44's are making the HR24's look like the HR22's when it comes to response and speed of the unit, okay maybe not to that extreme but it reacts a lot faster than the 24's, if only then allow two Genie's per account then I wouldn't hesitate getting another HR44.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#32 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

well, the Whole Home DVR charge is back already, guess I will just have to pay it, though it's something I will never use.  I never signed up for it after the free trial they had before they started charging for it, why would I want it now?  I don't use DECA so my setup is not a supported one, guess it's the price you have to pay to not have to deal with their horridly slow older HD DVRs.

I found this small writing at the bottom of the page in the link.

*Limit three remote viewings per Genie HD DVR (model HR34 Advanced Whole-Home DVR) at a time. Remote viewing requires a model C31Client, H25 HD Receiver(s) or RVU-enabled TV/device in each additional room, a SWiM network and Advanced Receiver Service ($25/mo.) To access HD programming, HD television equipment also required. 

Link: http://www.directv.c...echnology/genie

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...